Saints 'B' Team

SuperSAINT

5 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

GMUly1ZWIAAiIFX.jpeg

Seems a tad odd that we're not giving Ross Stewart a 30 minute run out in this game given Martin has confirmed he'll be involved versus Leeds? In fact, we never seem to use the U21s/B-Team games to give fringe senior squad players match fitness run outs these days. I wonder when/why that philosophy changed?

Edited by trousers

Btw, any idea what's happened to Alejandro Gomes Rodriguez...? Hailed a a "wonderkid" at the start of the season... broke into the U21 squad.... but hasn't appeared on any teamsheets over the last couple of months IIRC.... injured I assume?

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-scarily-talented-southampton-fc-wonderkid-who-must-have-a-first-team-pathway-view/

"

Alejandro Gomes Rodriguez may not be a household name yet in English football, but he could well be in years to come.

The 15-year-old Southampton academy product had scored nearly 50 goals for the Saints across different age groups by March 2023. He'd only joined the club in the summer of 2022, according to Junior Premier League.

The centre-forward is eligible to play for England, Portugal and Venuzuela, but has already played for England Under-15's, scoring four goals in two games in February this year.

These are remarkable statistics and the Saints will be thanking their lucky stars that a player this talented is on their books. Keeping hold of Rodriguez will be crucial for the club in the years to come.

As Birmingham City showed with Jude Bellingham, age is no object if you're good enough to play first-team football. However, it's important to remember that Rodriguez is only 15, if he's rushed into first-team football too early, it may stunt his development and may even lead to injuries.

On the other hand, it's important that Southampton ensure there's a path to first-team football for Rodriguez, as he could be a future star at first-team level. If he continues to perform for the Saints academy, it won't be long until bigger clubs start circling. It's crucial that they find the balance between rushing Rodriguez's development and keeping the player happy.

If the forward was to break into the Saints' U21 set-up this season, then he could well see himself involved with the first-team in training and during pre-season next year. At 16, he'll be the same age Bellingham was when he made his debut for Birmingham for comparison.

Russell Martin will be aware of how talented the youngster is and will want to ensure he keeps his feet on the ground and performs for the Saints' academy sides. It's unlikely that he'll get a first-team look in until he's playing for the U21 side, that should be Rodriguez's aim for this season.

"

(the above article was written last year; he turned 16 last month)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

He played, and scored, for England 2 weeks ago....

Bit of a conspiracy theory but I wonder if we're trying to keep him out of the public eye as much as possible in the run up to the close season to try and keep him off the radar of the bigger club vultures, with the plan being to unleash him into the first team next season (especially if we're still in the Championship)? Just me thinking out loud, so probably spouting nonsense as per usual....

Edited by trousers

Just now, VectisSaint said:

He played for the U18s against Brighton on Saturday and against Reading last week in the 9-0 win.

Ah, ok...  "Trousers talking nonsense" it is then..... :)

Supplimementary question in that case: I wonder why he's dropped back down to the u18s having been promoted to the u21s...? Probably just a case of not being quite ready for the step up I guess.

8 hours ago, trousers said:

He played, and scored, for England 2 weeks ago....

Bit of a conspiracy theory but I wonder if we're trying to keep him out of the public eye as much as possible in the run up to the close season to try and keep him off the radar of the bigger club vultures, with the plan being to unleash him into the first team next season (especially if we're still in the Championship)? Just me thinking out loud, so probably spouting nonsense as per usual....

There in no off the radar, they all know about every player.

8 hours ago, trousers said:

Ah, ok...  "Trousers talking nonsense" it is then..... :)

Supplimementary question in that case: I wonder why he's dropped back down to the u18s having been promoted to the u21s...? Probably just a case of not being quite ready for the step up I guess.

He is only just 16, playing for the u21s and giving them 5 years or more is a bit of an ask, especially for a CF.

By the way how does it work that he also plays for Venezuela u17s and previously for Portugal u15s?

9 hours ago, trousers said:

Btw, any idea what's happened to Alejandro Gomes Rodriguez...? Hailed a a "wonderkid" at the start of the season... broke into the U21 squad.... but hasn't appeared on any teamsheets over the last couple of months IIRC.... injured I assume?

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-scarily-talented-southampton-fc-wonderkid-who-must-have-a-first-team-pathway-view/

"

Alejandro Gomes Rodriguez may not be a household name yet in English football, but he could well be in years to come.

The 15-year-old Southampton academy product had scored nearly 50 goals for the Saints across different age groups by March 2023. He'd only joined the club in the summer of 2022, according to Junior Premier League.

The centre-forward is eligible to play for England, Portugal and Venuzuela, but has already played for England Under-15's, scoring four goals in two games in February this year.

These are remarkable statistics and the Saints will be thanking their lucky stars that a player this talented is on their books. Keeping hold of Rodriguez will be crucial for the club in the years to come.

As Birmingham City showed with Jude Bellingham, age is no object if you're good enough to play first-team football. However, it's important to remember that Rodriguez is only 15, if he's rushed into first-team football too early, it may stunt his development and may even lead to injuries.

On the other hand, it's important that Southampton ensure there's a path to first-team football for Rodriguez, as he could be a future star at first-team level. If he continues to perform for the Saints academy, it won't be long until bigger clubs start circling. It's crucial that they find the balance between rushing Rodriguez's development and keeping the player happy.

If the forward was to break into the Saints' U21 set-up this season, then he could well see himself involved with the first-team in training and during pre-season next year. At 16, he'll be the same age Bellingham was when he made his debut for Birmingham for comparison.

Russell Martin will be aware of how talented the youngster is and will want to ensure he keeps his feet on the ground and performs for the Saints' academy sides. It's unlikely that he'll get a first-team look in until he's playing for the U21 side, that should be Rodriguez's aim for this season.

"

(the above article was written last year; he turned 16 last month)

He, along with a few other of the under 18's were ball boys at one of the first team games a few weeks back fwiw.