Saints 'B' Team

SuperSAINT

35 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I wonder if anyone on here went the the U21/B Team game at Weymouth last night.
A Terras fan I know went and said Weymouth were far too good for our youngsters and walloped them 5-0.
Apparently we gave the ball away quite frequently and whoever played in goal often stood with the ball at his feet for some time trying to find someone to play a short pass to.
Seems that the Russell Martin style of play already affecting/infecting the youngsters.
No idea who played for us and there doesnt seem to be any detail on the Saints website

Match report: https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/match/weymouth-vs-southampton-u21?tab=line-ups

Lineup:

Saints first half: McNamara, Davis, Hewlett, Bailey, Carson, Squires, Edwards, Stepien-Iwumene, Pearce, Finnigan, Small.

Saints second half: Mohamed, Abu, Payne, Simeu, Lett, Bragg, Olaigbe, Ballard, Dibling, Andrews, Robinson.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Match report: https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/match/weymouth-vs-southampton-u21?tab=line-ups

Lineup:

Saints first half: McNamara, Davis, Hewlett, Bailey, Carson, Squires, Edwards, Stepien-Iwumene, Pearce, Finnigan, Small.

Saints second half: Mohamed, Abu, Payne, Simeu, Lett, Bragg, Olaigbe, Ballard, Dibling, Andrews, Robinson.

Tbh I don't think our u21 team should be getting battered by Weymouth. That is really poor. Lots of recognisable players featured like Ballard, Abu, dibling, Payne and simeu.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, egg said:

Won 3-1 today away to Torquay United. 2 goals for Princewill Ehibhatiomhan and 1 for Tyler Dibling. 

https://torquayunited.com/report-united-1-3-southampton-b/

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/match-reports/torquay-united-1-southampton-b-8638825

Not the first time Princewill has scored this pre-season either. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on over the season.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Ballard needs to be in the 1st team.

Sack Mara off and give his squad place to Dom. More than ready to step up.

Dont necessarily disagree with you as I think Mara has been a big disappointment but I wonder how many goals Mara would score in the U21's?

I guess the coaching team will be able to make a comparison of both players from their performances in training.

I would love it if Dom Ballard made it through to the first team but there must be something that has restricted his 1st team involvement so far.

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

Dont necessarily disagree with you as I think Mara has been a big disappointment but I wonder how many goals Mara would score in the U21's?

You're right - Mara scored 4 against Middlesbrough u21s in, I think, about the only time he's appeared for them. 

Those goals were largely dismissed on here as irrelevant, because it's already been decided that he's hopeless and will never improve.

Ballard's obviously doing well and seems to be progressing in the right direction - but you're always a better player when you're out of the side.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Watched the highlights and whoever was playing wearing number 8 seems to have had a growth spurt over the summer!

Ballard looked so class, he seemed to be the quickest, most reactive player on the pitch.

Edwards came off the bench and had some good touches seemingly too.

Finnigan has always been tall. When he made his debut in the senior team in 20/21 he was about 6'2 or 6'3 looking and that was years ago when he was 17. Ralph always rated him very highly so interested to see what happens this season given he was a regular in League 2 end of last with Crewe.

Edited by kristian

I get the idea of learning the Russell Martin style, but if Ballard isn't going to get significant minutes in the first team, and thats hampered by going out of the League Cup, then surely he has to go out on loan - even if just until 1st Jan?

He learns nothing playing in U21 football, where we already know he will score lots of goals.

He needs to be playing mens football, either with us or somewhere else for now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I get the idea of learning the Russell Martin style, but if Ballard isn't going to get significant minutes in the first team, and thats hampered by going out of the League Cup, then surely he has to go out on loan - even if just until 1st Jan?

He learns nothing playing in U21 football, where we already know he will score lots of goals.

He needs to be playing mens football, either with us or somewhere else for now.

It should be with us to be honest. Let's see if he's better than Mara. 

• Like 2

Hadn't realised until last night that we aren't in the EFL Trophy this season. It was never really successful but did at least give an opportunity for the u21s to play some games against senior players from L1/L2. Did we deliberately drop out or is the entry 'seeded' in some way (top 16 teams from PL2 perhaps).

By the way title of thread should be changed back to u21 as we seem to have dropped the B team label this year (that was a bit of a strange move before).

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Was it an own goal?

Yes. We lost 3-0.

Is that Koumas who scored for Liverpool the son of Jason?

One good thing from the game was another half of football for Diamond Edwards on his comeback from injury.

• Like 1