Saints 'B' Team

SuperSAINT

1 hour ago, Saint-Reece said:

Looks like Edozie got subbed at 34 mins from the Flashscore app

Strange, sofascore haven't shown that. Just showing AMN and Lavia off at half time, and Djenepo off on second half. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

6-1 now. Technically this is an u21 so does anyone know how we can play all 4 of McCarthy, Lancashire, AMN and Walcott? 

Clubs will, however, be permitted to use five (previously three) over-age outfield players and one over-age goalkeeper, in order to transition from its under-23 format.

• Like 1

Just now, VectisSaint said:

Clubs will, however, be permitted to use five (previously three) over-age outfield players and one over-age goalkeeper, in order to transition from its under-23 format.

Thank you. I had 3 overage players in my head. Nice to see the club giving fringe players a run out. Not ideal for the development of the youngsters, but needs to be done. 

7 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

I see that the B team have 3 away games in November and 3 home games in December.

As we  will be starved of live football, I wonder if they would consider playing them at St Marys?

More to the point hopefully the club will use these games as runouts for first teamers not involved in the WC, like today. It would be good to see the team winning as well to boost the chance of automatic promotion to the top division of PL2 where the standard of opposition is higher for the Reserves for next season.

1 hour ago, ecuk268 said:

I see that the B team have 3 away games in November and 3 home games in December.

As we  will be starved of live football, I wonder if they would consider playing them at St Marys?

Two are due to be played at St Mary's Screenshot_20221030-164307_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7dcba8924e53b2c8d9e25ef18250eb31.jpg

Good to see good attitudes. Playing with the Under 23s, many rein it in with their billy big bollocks attitudes, but these guys did their job and showed they're a quality above that level. Good to see Mara get a few, and showed he's got something about him. He's just in that awkward limbo position where he's too good for the youth levels now, but not yet good enough to be a consistent performer at senior level. A loan would probably be beneficial to him at this stage in his career, but we don't have the attacking depth to sanction that and we did spend good money on him in the summer, probably promising him some first team football alongside it.

32 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Good to see Mara get a few, and showed he's got something about him. He's just in that awkward limbo position where he's too good for the youth levels now, but not yet good enough to be a consistent performer at senior level.

How can we be sure that's true when he's not been given enough game time to establish any consistency in the first place? #chicken #egg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Good to see good attitudes. Playing with the Under 23s, many rein it in with their billy big bollocks attitudes, but these guys did their job and showed they're a quality above that level. Good to see Mara get a few, and showed he's got something about him. He's just in that awkward limbo position where he's too good for the youth levels now, but not yet good enough to be a consistent performer at senior level. A loan would probably be beneficial to him at this stage in his career, but we don't have the attacking depth to sanction that and we did spend good money on him in the summer, probably promising him some first team football alongside it.

I'd like to see Mara in place of AArmstrong. Give him a few games to find his feet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Watching the highlights I wouldn't place much emphasis on Mara scoring four. The defending was absolutely woeful and a couple of the finishes quite unconvincing.

Ironically by far the best (free kick aside) was Payne's.

Payne definitely has something about him. Looks like a solid attack minded right back.

12 hours ago, Dusic said:

Watching the highlights I wouldn't place much emphasis on Mara scoring four. The defending was absolutely woeful and a couple of the finishes quite unconvincing.

Ironically by far the best (free kick aside) was Payne's.

They really weren't great, hey. A poor penalty, a scuff deflected between keepers legs and one taken round the keeper, which he even tried making hard work of. The fourth was the best but even that wasn't the cleanest. Does look some way off being a first team regular.

Walcott took a few well and the few glimpses of Payne, he looks very positive.

Biggest shock for me was seeing McCarthy beaten at his near-post................................................................................................................. :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

A poor penalty, a scuff deflected between keepers legs and one taken round the keeper, which he even tried making hard work of. The fourth was the best but even that wasn't the cleanest.

Maybe Adams should try mishitting a few chances. Not with his hand though. 😁

WTF was that all nonsense all about? Surely not in the spirit of B team football. I feel sorry for the Middlesboro lads, lambs to the effing slaughter.

What's even more embarrassing, even at this level MaCarthy was beaten at his near post flailing his arms about like a bloody windmill yet he gets paid a fortune for this.

13 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

WTF was that all nonsense all about? Surely not in the spirit of B team football. I feel sorry for the Middlesboro lads, lambs to the effing slaughter.

What's even more embarrassing, even at this level MaCarthy was beaten at his near post flailing his arms about like a bloody windmill yet he gets paid a fortune for this.

Oh dear, someone else who still believes every near post shot has to be saved.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tunit said:

Can we read much into Selles managing the B team yesterday? Potential practice with many first team players getting ready to take over from Ralph?

Surely Ralph was involved? Don't tell me these first team squad players were at Staplewood in a competitive mach (ok the opposition wasn't great) and Ralph wasn't there to have a look at them.

12 minutes ago, saintant said:

Surely Ralph was involved? Don't tell me these first team squad players were at Staplewood in a competitive mach (ok the opposition wasn't great) and Ralph wasn't there to have a look at them.

I assume he was there. Given the transparency about him leaving and even helping choose a new manager wouldn't be surprised if he had a say

3 hours ago, tunit said:

Can we read much into Selles managing the B team yesterday? Potential practice with many first team players getting ready to take over from Ralph?

More like there weren't many B team players involved so what would Horseman? know about the players involved. This was effectively a run out for the first team fringe players. Surprised that Lancashire played to be honest. Think we'll see more of this during the WC shutdown.

On 30/10/2022 at 22:56, whiteleySaint30 said:

Mara is miles off it at the moment. Looks disinterested when being bought on. I'm no fan of AA but he is the better option atm. 

I dunno he did a wicked assist, he's just not a focal point to launch balls up to, he seemed to play a bit off the left wing/inside forward in bordeaux/u21 france etc.

I would like to see him play as the forward to runs onto adams holding the ball up or flick ons

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I dunno he did a wicked assist, he's just not a focal point to launch balls up to, he seemed to play a bit off the left wing/inside forward in bordeaux/u21 france etc.

I would like to see him play as the forward to runs onto adams holding the ball up or flick ons

Still think 4-3-3 would best suit the squad we have.

• Like 2

Morgan’s got 4 in his last 2 but is a midfielder as far as I understand it? A number 10? 
If he’s adding goals that’s a good sign. This current crop (him, Doyle, Dibbling especially) is one of the few bright spots around the club right now!

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Morgan’s got 4 in his last 2 but is a midfielder as far as I understand it? A number 10? 
If he’s adding goals that’s a good sign. This current crop (him, Doyle, Dibbling especially) is one of the few bright spots around the club right now!

I think he plays off the left wing (right footed). Dibling off the right wing (left footed). That's how they lined up with England youth the other week when both scored. 

Doyle's more of a central player. A 10 or an 8. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

Mainly a #9.  But players are quite fluid so he might switch with Bellis / Ballard etc. 

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Surely it's time JJ Morgan gets a genuine chance with the first team? Yet another hatrick tonight. 

I'm sure Jones will be watching him closely. Will be interesting to see if he gives any of the top youngsters any match time.