Saints 'B' Team

SuperSAINT

Weird second half. Saints went 3-0 up and were coasting. Forest then nicked one on the break and from nowhere suddenly had all the ball.

They got a very good second, and had a few other chances while Saints huffed and puffed before sealing the win with a well taken finish from Pearce on the counter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

1-0 up at half time which is deserved.

Impressed with Olaigbe, Chauke and Payne at RB. Having Smallbone in midfield is really helping control the game. Small has done some great stuff going forward mixed in with a few loose passes.

Can't see it for Diamond Edwards, he's so sloppy in possession.

How did Olaigbe look? Few raving about him on Twitter saying he’s ready for the first team 

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

How did Olaigbe look? Few raving about him on Twitter saying he’s ready for the first team 

Quick feet, good body movement. Got himself past players quite easily. Mostly neat and tidy with the ball. Quick enough but not Jonno quick. Was the standout player on the pitch first half and probably MOTM overall.

A couple of pieces of naive play but to be expected with limited first team experience.

Can see him fitting in the first team but we are overstocked with players in that position. Would be interesting to see him make a few sub appearances to get that experience, especially if we end up with little to play for in the league at the end of the season.

(Yes MLG, I'm aware there is prize money for every position)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Quick feet, good body movement. Got himself past players quite easily. Mostly neat and tidy with the ball. Quick enough but not Jonno quick. Was the standout player on the pitch first half and probably MOTM overall.

A couple of pieces of naive play but to be expected with limited first team experience.

Can see him fitting in the first team but we are overstocked with players in that position. Would be interesting to see him make a few sub appearances to get that experience, especially if we end up with little to play for in the league at the end of the season.

(Yes MLG, I'm aware there is prize money for every position)

Was he up front today? 

Looked really good with the press first half but massively dropped off in the second half. Not really suprising as they're still quite young but couldn't keep up the press for the full game and didn't manage the game well enough to make up for it. Villa picked us off a bit in the second half with space in behind Small who seemed to be out of position a a lot. Tizzard and Kegs played well, but Payne and Olaigbe were outstanding, especially first half. Always suprised Payne doesn't get more of a mention about stepping up to the first team, maybe because he's a bit on the short side but he contributes massively going forward and is pretty decent in defence, he can only be 17 or 18 at the most so he's got time on his side at least you would like to think.

9 minutes ago, daldridge7 said:

Looked really good with the press first half but massively dropped off in the second half. Not really suprising as they're still quite young but couldn't keep up the press for the full game and didn't manage the game well enough to make up for it. Villa picked us off a bit in the second half with space in behind Small who seemed to be out of position a a lot. Tizzard and Kegs played well, but Payne and Olaigbe were outstanding, especially first half. Always suprised Payne doesn't get more of a mention about stepping up to the first team, maybe because he's a bit on the short side but he contributes massively going forward and is pretty decent in defence, he can only be 17 or 18 at the most so he's got time on his side at least you would like to think.

Payne is 17, 18 end of May.

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Payne has been excellent. Has played all over the pitch this season.

Captained the B team while Kegs was out and Simeu was with first the first team and then out on loan. Also, surely Olagibe can’t be that far from the first team I think they said in comms today that he was up to 12 goals this season. I think it’s just his work against the ball that’s the issue for Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the B team against Wolves and they were awful in the first half and improved in the second half as they gave 20 mins worth of effort. Only 1 shot despite the final score being 4-2 to Wolves. Diamond Edwards looked like he got a pretty bad injury in the first half, which doesn't seem great as he's only just come back from one. Beach was called up in goal but let 2 through his legs and got dropped for the 4th one. They were lucky it weren't 5 as Payne gave away a foul in the area and the ref gave it as a free kick on the edge. 

Lots of mitigating circumstances and close to the end of the season I do think they gave a few of the boys who might be leaving some minutes, nonetheless, I think they will be dissapointed. Wolves now moved ahead in the table and they look like slipping out of the playoff places.

No Kegs again, I don't know if this is because of an injury or maybe trialling at other clubs if he's not signing a new contract. No idea.

Pearce took his goal very well, looks like a very decent finisher. I would say that was the real positive. Turner and Lawrence played ok and Mitchell had a couple of decent runs, but I'm somewhat clutching at straws there.

Edited by daldridge7

7 minutes ago, daldridge7 said:

Just watched the B team against Wolves and they were awful in the first half and improved in the second half as they gave 20 mins worth of effort. Only 1 shot despite the final score being 4-2 to Wolves. Diamond Edwards looked like he got a pretty bad injury in the first half, which doesn't seem great as he's only just come back from one. Beach was called up in goal but let 2 through his legs and got dropped for the 4th one. They were lucky it weren't 5 as Payne gave away a foul in the area and the ref gave it as a free kick on the edge. 

Lots of mitigating circumstances and close to the end of the season I do think they gave a few of the boys who might be leaving some minutes, nonetheless, I think they will be dissapointed. Wolves now moved ahead in the table and they look like slipping out of the playoff places.

No Kegs again, I don't know if this is because of an injury or maybe trialling at other clubs if he's not signing a new contract. No idea.

Pearce took his goal very well, looks like a very decent finisher. I would say that was the real positive. Turner and Lawrence played ok and Mitchell had a couple of decent runs, but I'm somewhat clutching at straws there.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, daldridge7 said:

Great write-up, thanks.

Kegs got injured last game (or 1 before, I believe).

Def correct on bring a showcase for players leaving.  We should be even better next season as the 18’s have been terrific.  (& subsequently, the 16’s are apparently very talented who will step up next season).

OS mentioned that’s 7 goals in 7 starts for Luke Pearce in the PL2.

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Great write-up, thanks.

Kegs got injured last game (or 1 before, I believe).

Def correct on bring a showcase for players leaving.  We should be even better next season as the 18’s have been terrific.  (& subsequently, the 16’s are apparently very talented who will step up next season).

OS mentioned that’s 7 goals in 7 starts for Luke Pearce in the PL2.

A front four of Ballard, Pearce, Morgan, and Dibling has huge potential. Would be great to see them getting more minutes in the B team but probably more likely to be next season. Although a lot of the other teams in league do have much older and more physical teams to deal with. 

Semmens and Ralph always talk about the pathway for young players coming in from other clubs but I would to know if they think anybody anyone from the B team or Academy can get in to the first team. 

I hope at the very minimum Olagibe gets some minutes of the bench before the end of the year. 

He played today and was pretty crap. Luckily for him Tizzard got taken off at half time because he had already done two poor tackles in the first half and was on a yellow. They changed from 5-2-3 to the standard 4-2-2-2 and looked better - it was hard to look any worse tbf

• 4 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 'B' Team