'Project Big Picture'

Matthew Le God

15 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

IIRC I think the Athletic said the Europe's elite clubs do this about every time the Champions league deals get renewed to basically force UEFA into conceding more money and power to them.  I think they said it goes all the way back to the creation of the champs league from the European cup where you had the group stages so big clubs didn't go out in the first round.

Further proposed changes to the Champs league are coming and they proposing 2 group stages I think, even possibly two divisions where certain teams are basically guaranteed to play (because it will be based on previous performance) and the new Europa League 2 or whatever it is called basically acts as qualification. 

It's the same with like the seedings, done to keep the big teams in the competition and make it hard for the newcomers to get through. 

Expect the format changes to the Champions league coming in a few years to basically favour the big clubs even more. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987%E2%80%9388_European_Cup

This is what set it all off, Real Madrid vs Napoli in the first round of the 1987-88 European Cup.

It is also being done to weaken clubs like us, the big clubs have been complaining that the other 14 are too strong and exhausting to play against compared to our counterparts in other leagues.

Then there was the Juventus big wig whining that Atalanta were in the CL QFs.

Surely the beauty of football is that anyone can reach the top table even if its quite unlikely? How amazing was it to see leicester win the league or play champions league? Or Wigan winning the cup? Or Blackpool or even Bompey  in the prem? Making the league or Europe a virtual closed shop would just kill any neutral enjoyment for me. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Surely the beautu of foptball os that anypbe van reach the top table even if its quote unlikely? How amazing was it to see leicester win the league or play champions league? Or Wigan winning the cup? Or Blackpool or even Bompey  in the prem? Making the league or Europe a virtual closed shop would just kill any beutral enjoyment for me. 

Quite agree. When I first moved to France Lyon dominated the league and were well financed, but not like Man City or PSG. Their star waned a bit and in the interim, Lille, Montpellier and my very own Bordeaux all won the  League. Now it is PSG, PSG PSG and the league is dying on its feet. All that is left to play for is champions League spots, which would also disappear under this proposal.   

Imagine winning the league in Football Manager and getting an E-mail saying, "congratulations, now you can apply for a wildcard slot in the FIFA league of European Mega Teams". 

• Like 1

• Matthew Le God changed the title to 'Project Big Picture'
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55749730

FIFA and the regional confederations showing a united front to knock the plan on the head once and for all, I'd imagine.

Can't see this being a Packer Cricket situation where there's the money and will to try and set something up to compete with the established competitions separately.

It's a bluff. Their "principled" stand won't hold up very long once they try to market the World Cup sans the world's top 150 players. It'll be about as popular as football at the olympics.

9 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55749730

FIFA and the regional confederations showing a united front to knock the plan on the head once and for all, I'd imagine.

Can't see this being a Packer Cricket situation where there's the money and will to try and set something up to compete with the established competitions separately.

Wow. Strong stance taken there.

4 hours ago, qwertyell said:

It's a bluff. Their "principled" stand won't hold up very long once they try to market the World Cup sans the world's top 150 players. It'll be about as popular as football at the olympics.

Don't think it'll ever get the chance to go that far. 

Honestly, need to call their bluff and kick the big 6 out and shut the door behind them.

Most of their teams exist currently because they are very big fish in small ponds. Put them in the same league, and you can only have 3-4 teams dominating. The league would naturally settle out to a similar format as the premier league. How long would fans of Tottenham or arsenal stick around when they're playing turgid football and struggling against most teams every week... Arsenal fans have booed out their last 3 managers (nearly with Arteta) despite top half finishes and silverware... Love to see them competing at the bottom of the league playing 4-5-1 against teams of world superstars 😆

Edited by Saint86