'Project Big Picture'

Matthew Le God

- £350m bailout to EFL/FA

- 18 team Premier League

- bottom 2 relegated, top 2 Championship promoted and 3rd bottom in PL joins playoffs with Championship clubs

- end of League Cup and Community Shield,

- extra £££ for EFL/grassroots, fan initiatives and more

As Southampton are the joint 8th longest serving Premier League club they would form part of the 'big 9' decision making clubs if these proposals went ahead. Along with Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton & West Ham.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

We should oppose this. Saints being one of the nine shareholders will disappear forver if.when we get relegated.

The chance of relegation goes up markedly. Statistically, it only goes from 15% to 15.25% of teams going down, but if you cut the division to just 18 clubs there will be fewer candidiates to be whipping boys at the bottom.

The current arrangements - whereby any 7 clubs can block anything - are a godsend for a club likes us, and I'd need something spectacular on the table to want to surrender those constitutional rights.

Too much power is already concentrated in too few hands. This would make it worse.

• Like 2

• Matthew Le God changed the title to 'Project Big Picture' - Saints to be one of the only 9 clubs with PL voting rights
1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

It would give Saints more power, not less.

Only for this stint in the Premier League (which might be permanent, but probably not). If we're relegated and bounceback, we will be at the bottom fo the queue in terms of getting back a share.

The real maths also work against us. At present, it is quite easy to find six allies from the other 19 clubs to defeat a move by the big clubs. (I think the 5 substitutes rule was a recent example). Under this system, we would move to having 1/9th of the vote and often be outvoted 7-2 or 8-1. At present, we have 1/20th of the vote, but only need to get allies to get this to 7/20ths to stop something.

You can't measure Saints' power and influence purely on the % of shares we hold. A hypothetical system where we had 49% of the shares and Man Utd had 51% would not be an imporvement in our power - we'd lose everything that mattered.

• Like 1

Looks like a despicable attempt by Man United/Liverpool to use the financial trouble faced by EFL teams due to covid 19 to leverage more power for the top 6. Don't be fooled by the 9 clubs nonsense since decisions would need 6 votes from 9 to pass, making it easy for the big clubs to do what they want.

• Like 4

Hmmm doesnt sound too great does it. How many seasons before they decide to reduce relegation by another team or all together? PL will become one big boys club and fuck the rest. Plus....

- Huge changes to loan system allowing clubs to have 15 players out on loan domestically at any one time and up to four at a single club in England

I wonder who that will be advantageous too the most...FML.

• Like 1

Just read about the voting rights thing , and even if Saints had a bote it would not make  much difference, as it says that only 6 votes would be needed to change policy. The big 6 would be able to do what they want and sod the rest of us. 

Summer PL competition, no thanks. 

• Like 1

The death of English football will be the day the top 6 get what they want. An Americanised league, a closed league, where 14 teams can look forward to a glass ceiling of 7th and competing for a single trophy that will probably be won by one of the big 6 anyway.

A league where the attitude towards the other 14 teams is "consider yourself lucky you get to play us" and all concerns from them get ignored.

This day will inevitably come and mark my words, the interest will dwindle as the gap gets wider and wider and the league becomes even more predictable. The Premier League will destroy itself due to its own greed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Leicester are the only club I’d want voting.

According to reports today,  the voting for or against PPV was done one after the other and alphabetically, therefore by the time Leicester voted it was already  apparent that it was going to sail through. It was 9 for the proposal with 0 against with Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City & Spurs still to vote. Maybe they would have gone against in a secret ballot, or just maybe they’re better at PR than some of the others. For all their opposition, I bet they take the dough. 

The voting proposal is a terrible idea and we’re clearly being used as a fig leaf to let the big 6 dominate everything.

However, I think the rest of the proposals are pretty good.

I was as excited as everyone else when we got to the League Cup final, but it’s basically a pointless tournament. And the Community Shield is just a glorified pre-season friendly.

I think the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy (as we should all still call it 😀) has far more merit than the League Cup because the teams involved actually care about winning it (rather than just being a back door into Europe for big clubs having a bad year like Arsenal last year). Maybe they should just expand the EFL Trophy to include the Championship too (i.e. all EFL teams, maybe call it the EFL Cup 😀).

Reducing the size of the Premier League would mean every team had something to play for. At present, there are around 3 teams each year in mid-table obscurity for the second half of the season (no chance of getting relegated or getting into Europe).

There was an idea years ago from somewhere suggesting 16 clubs with 4 up 4 down. I think that would be a good idea. I know we’d get relegated occasionally, but it would be easier to come back and it means if the likes of Arsenal could genuinely have a chance of getting relegated occasionally. 

An horrendous plan that would kill football for me. Typical that it's been suggested by Americans. The fact they have tried to use the financial problems from covid to blackmail football league clubs and force this through is despicable. I will actively avoid watching football and look at other sports if this happens. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

The chance of relegation goes up markedly. Statistically, it only goes from 15% to 15.25% of teams going down, but if you cut the division to just 18 clubs there will be fewer candidiates to be whipping boys at the bottom.

You haven't factored in that the plan in the proposal sees only 2 clubs guaranteed to be relegated. The team 3rd bottom in the Premier League would face the 3rd, 4th & 5th placed Championship teams in a playoff, so if they win they stay up.

There is no mention of Aston Villa and Newcastle United, both of whom have featured in more Premier League campaigns than Manchester City.

Definiteley a case of the current "big boys" realising there are people out there looking to invest in the remaining clubs and are running scared that new money is going to start levelling the playing field. Even in the relatively short history of the PL we have only recently talked of a Big 6, before that it was only the Big 4.  They're clearly worried that that could soon become a Big 10/12/whatever.

Maybe they should allocate votes on current league positions - I'm sure the 2 Manchester clubs would be only too happy to agree 🤣

Now I’ve calmed down I’d like to say something else.

F()ck off.

No surprise it’s come from sanctimonious, virtue signalling bast4rds of the Mersey and another club cr4pping itself after falling into a the barren hole of also-rand of English football. 

• Like 1

How anyone could be a Saints fan and actually support the abolition of the League Cup beggars belief.

As a club we've won fuck all. I'd like to get to grave having seen us win something significant, just once (like many, born after 1976).

Probably the same type of people that salivate over the scrapping of the Christmas schedule because of "player recovery" and because someone said we might win the world Cup if we did.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

How anyone could be a Saints fan and actually support the abolition of the League Cup beggars belief.

As a club we've won fuck all. I'd like to get to grave having seen us win something significant, just once (like many, born after 1976).

Probably the same type of people that salivate over the scrapping of the Christmas schedule because of "player recovery" and because someone said we might win the world Cup if we did.

Champions league or nothing.

24 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The same people that want to play a weakened team in any European games we may play in or who would prefer finishing 5th to winning a cup. 

• Like 1

Liverpool - "You'll never walk alone" - Unless there is a global pandemic and then you can fend for yourselves on furlough... Furthermore, we would like to walk alongside the eight longest serving Premier League clubs, but the rest of you... You can fuck off.

3 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Liverpool - "You'll never walk alone" - Unless there is a global pandemic and then you can fend for yourselves on furlough... Furthermore, we would like to walk alongside the eight longest serving Premier League clubs, but the rest of you... You can fuck off.

FC dignity and class proving they really are the people’s club 

43 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

It’s exactly what happened when the Premier League was set up. Everybody jumps on the bandwagon that the Utd’s  & Liverpool’s are the villains, but they’re all the fucking same. Saints, Palace, etc don’t give a shiny shite about “football” or the pyramid, they’re only interested it what it is it  for them. Exactly as Rochdale, Barnsley and Exeter would be if they were in the premier league. I don’t recall too many Saints people concerned about the football league in ‘92, that was the time to take a stand. You can’t put the genie back in the bottle, it’s every man for himself now 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

- £350m bailout to EFL/FA

- 18 team Premier League

- bottom 2 relegated, top 2 Championship promoted and 3rd bottom in PL joins playoffs with Championship clubs

- end of League Cup and Community Shield,

- extra £££ for EFL/grassroots, fan initiatives and more

As Southampton are the joint 8th longest serving Premier League club they would form part of the 'big 9' decision making clubs if these proposals went ahead. Along with Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton & West Ham.

You missed a biggie: Parachute payments scrapped.

So with 17th and 18th relegated, and 16th having a very good chance of joining them, this would sooner or later destroy clubs our size.

Edited by Dark Munster

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

If it doesn't take place then clubs will just have other friendlies instead, so its not like they are reducing their workload.

Gives them more calendar space to fly round the world to play these pre-season competitions against other large European clubs...$$$$

Then bitch how the players are tired and don't get much of a break.

And no surprise Rick Parry being supportive of it, being an ex member of the Liverpool board and was initially involved in the Premier League breakaway, probably getting a nice back hander out of it.

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 2

Cünt clubs like Liverpool are always coming up with self serving proposals like this, why don't clubs like us ever come up with proposals that serve us?

Distribute all TV and UEFA money 100% equally among all 20 clubs.

A 100% tax on revenue above £200m to be given to the EFL.

How many of the bottom 14 would vote against this considering that we would all benefit from it?

Edited by Cartman

Greedy, soulless scum-bags. If you want to give some money just give the fucking money.

This can’t be allowed to happen. If it does the FA will have failed, the government will have failed, the Premier League will have failed and football will have been failed.

Abolishing the League Cup is a smack in the face to fans. “Big six” is an attempt to form a cartel. 

Go fuck yourselves. If Saints support this that applies to SFC too.

Someone at the PL League has described it as a "takeover attempt, rather than a rescue package" so it will be interesting to see how this one pans out. How anyone other than the 'Big 6' can support this is shortsighted. Maybe (hopefully) this will finally see the likes of Liverpool, United, Spurs, et el fook off to some mega European/Global League.

But I guess then step forward the next 'Big 6' (Newcastle, Leeds, Villa, Evert..........) and repeat.

The big 9 which in reality is just the big 6and a few extras. Any changes only need 6 votes to get in so the other 3 carry little weight to stop anything.

The PPV was probably their way of testing it  as the way to go with game broadcasting rights 

• Like 1

How about they all piss off and create a 'big 6 league' somewhere, and let the rest of us battle it out in a proper even playing field?

As people have said, this is a scandalous power grab and is only looking after the interests of a select few, it's being wrapped up in an 'EFL' finance support package in the hope that most people don't see what it is. It's also another example of an industry using 'COVID' to shoehorn something else through that they'd have had no hope of doing otherwise.

It would be the death of football.