Alexander Isak and Ivan Toney

Sideways Jim

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Didn't Tony work with villas manager at Walsall, he brought up through the youth ranks, more likely a villa signing I reckon

Watkins was with Smith at Walsall. Not aware that Toney ever played there, his last club was Peterborough.

We probably missed the boat with him as we did with Watkins when he left Exeter. 

I remember our name linked with Isak years ago, but by the time he went to Dortmund he’s out of our price range. 

Adam Armstrong, Blackburn apparently want around £15 million for him, 23, English, very quick and has 17 in 26 in the Championship this season, 16 in 46 last season, for a middling to bad championship team. 

But really we have to spending more on one player, especially with the Brexit issue going to cause problems. 

• Like 1

Easier said than done but these are the sort of players we need to be getting our hands on earlier.

Watkins was really highly regarded at Exeter. We were credited with an interest at the time. 

With impacts of Brexit these are the types of players I would hope we could take a chance on. Of course this presumes we have the financial scope to actually takes chances on players who might not be ‘first team ready’.

Turnbull now at Celtic is another we were linked with, the going rate was less than £3mil ... took a while to get going but now one of the new bright spots for Celtic in a woeful season. He might not have enough to step up to the Prem but I would suggest he would have been worth the gamble. Now any move for him would need a figure in excess of £10mil ...

I don’t think we have the flexibility for a lot of these ‘gambles’ but looking at the lack of any real options from the bench recently it’s a shame we couldn’t have one or two exciting prospects particularly with the academy having a relative dry spell. 

21 hours ago, UpweySaint said:

Easier said than done but these are the sort of players we need to be getting our hands on earlier.

Watkins was really highly regarded at Exeter. We were credited with an interest at the time. 

With impacts of Brexit these are the types of players I would hope we could take a chance on. Of course this presumes we have the financial scope to actually takes chances on players who might not be ‘first team ready’.

Turnbull now at Celtic is another we were linked with, the going rate was less than £3mil ... took a while to get going but now one of the new bright spots for Celtic in a woeful season. He might not have enough to step up to the Prem but I would suggest he would have been worth the gamble. Now any move for him would need a figure in excess of £10mil ...

I don’t think we have the flexibility for a lot of these ‘gambles’ but looking at the lack of any real options from the bench recently it’s a shame we couldn’t have one or two exciting prospects particularly with the academy having a relative dry spell. 

Celtic and Rangers are still two clubs where I think some value can be found and might be available more for the £10-15 million mark, Kent, Tavernier and Barisic might be worth the gamble imo.

Edouard has been highly rated as well. 

10 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Celtic and Rangers are still two clubs where I think some value can be found and might be available more for the £10-15 million mark, Kent, Tavernier and Barisic might be worth the gamble imo.

Edouard has been highly rated as well. 

Agreed there is still value but £10-15 mil is about our upper limit these days.

Tavernier is a top quality player though I feel that KWP has been one of our stand out performers and I couldn’t see Tavernier coming here to be a back up. 

Edouard is a shout but I could see him leapfrog our level rather than have to go down the VVD / wanayama route.

14 hours ago, UpweySaint said:

Agreed there is still value but £10-15 mil is about our upper limit these days.

Tavernier is a top quality player though I feel that KWP has been one of our stand out performers and I couldn’t see Tavernier coming here to be a back up. 

Edouard is a shout but I could see him leapfrog our level rather than have to go down the VVD / wanayama route.

We paid £20 million for Ings and we must have agreed to pay £25 million for Maddison as IIRC Leicester matched our offer and he then agreed to move there.  

I think for the right player we'll pay £25-30 million, but maybe not in current Covid climate, though I feel those £25 million ish players are probably like £15 million anyway at the moment. 

I thought that about Edouard but he's not quite kicked on as much as expected, so not sure the bigger clubs will gamble on him, but I think the talent is there and Ralph could probably do a lot with him. 

Kent for me is the stand out player in SPL from what I have seen, really direct, good on both feet, takes people on and wants to get into the box and take players on, always busy, think he could be the upgrade on Redmond we need. 

12 hours ago, tajjuk said:

We paid £20 million for Ings and we must have agreed to pay £25 million for Maddison as IIRC Leicester matched our offer and he then agreed to move there.  

I think for the right player we'll pay £25-30 million, but maybe not in current Covid climate, though I feel those £25 million ish players are probably like £15 million anyway at the moment. 

I thought that about Edouard but he's not quite kicked on as much as expected, so not sure the bigger clubs will gamble on him, but I think the talent is there and Ralph could probably do a lot with him. 

Kent for me is the stand out player in SPL from what I have seen, really direct, good on both feet, takes people on and wants to get into the box and take players on, always busy, think he could be the upgrade on Redmond we need. 

If Edouard would see us as a good step to prove himself against better opposition to secure a ‘big’ move he could be worth a look to replace Ings, he’s not been at it this year but I would still be surprised if his next move isn’t to a side regularly in Europe and in a decent league. If there is a deal to be had then Ely must be worth a few quid to Celtic, he’s been one of their most consistent players this year. You would hope that might bring our outlay down while taking Ely off the wage bill (hopefully!).

I’ve only seen glimpses of Kent but he has something about him. Rangers have been very open that they will need to sell players so a decent offer would likely be considered. From you’re write up he certainly sounds like he would be a good addition.

Again though I circle back, in both cases it’s a shame we’re not managing to identify these players one step earlier - appreciate it’s not ever that simple but it’s the same broad argument about the Da Grosa takeover. We need to find a way to compete and find/create better value than our rivals who are better resourced in many ways.

1 hour ago, UpweySaint said:

I’ve only seen glimpses of Kent but he has something about him. Rangers have been very open that they will need to sell players so a decent offer would likely be considered. From you’re write up he certainly sounds like he would be a good addition

Article on Kent.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-kent-regressed-rangers-would-23467802

• Like 1