Sheff Utd 2-2 (p.2-4) Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

51 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Yeah it was freezing. I also thought our big CB got one, forgot his name.

Waigo scored both goals in normal time.

I remember Grant Holt going mental because he thought he'd been fouled during a breakaway attack and 10 seconds later Waigo had the ball in the net for the injury time equaliser.

19 hours ago, jamesfp1 said:

Chelsea Away. Tut. 

As i see it ,it seems we have a better chance of beating the bigger clubs in the early rounds, as they are far too important to field their 1st team in minor cup competitions such as this, and unfortunately to some extent the F.A Cup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Left Back said:

I was at the game (JPT?) when we beat Norwich in a shoot out.  It was an evening game.  They absolutely murdered us during the game and I was convinced we would win the shoot out as we had got out of jail, and it looked like our players did too.  don't think we missed one.  It was at the Chapel end.

Forster saved two of our penalties from Lloyd James and Antonio IIRC. 

24 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I remember Grant Holt going mental because he thought he'd been fouled during a breakaway attack and 10 seconds later Waigo had the ball in the net for the injury time equaliser.

As I recall he was rolling around on the floor near our right hand corner flag but the ref gave either a FK our way or a goal kick. Bart took it long, there was a bit of pinball in their box and Waigo stabbed it in. Had Holt been back in the box defending, rather than rolling around on the floor 70 yards away, he’d have probably got his massive swede on the initial ball in and we’d never have made it to Wembley.

27 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Yep your right - it was Waynes Thomas I was thinking of, and he scored the wining penalty 👍

5 hours ago, The Left Back said:

I was at the game (JPT?) when we beat Norwich in a shoot out.  It was an evening game.  They absolutely murdered us during the game and I was convinced we would win the shoot out as we had got out of jail, and it looked like our players did too.  don't think we missed one.  It was at the Chapel end.

Yes, you are correct. Pen shoot out wins vs Torquay and Norwich in the JPT. Did a bit more searching and there's a win in A PSO vs Millwall in the 80s too.

So it looks like P10 W6 L4.

So here's what I think is the total record for domestic matches.

1985 - LC - Home - vs Millwall 0-0 / 0-0 (W5-4 pens)

1992 - FAC - Away - vs Man Utd 0-0 / 2-2 (W4-2 pens)

2001 - LC - Away - vs Bolton 2-2 (L6-5 pens) 

2007 - PLO - Away - vs Derby 1-2 / 3-2 (L4-3 pens)

2009 - JPT - Home - vs Torquay 2-2 (W5-3 pens)

2009 -  JPT - Home - vs Norwich 2-2 (W6-5 pens)

2018 - LC - Away - vs Everton 1-1 (W4-3 pens)

2018 -  LC - Away - vs Leicester 0-0 (L6-5 pens)

2019 - FAC - Home - vs Derby 2-2 / 2-2 (L5-3 pens)

2021 - LC - Away - vs Sheff Utd 2-2 (W4-2 pens)

Edited by OttawaSaint

On 23/09/2021 at 10:32, adriansfc said:

That’s not how it works. There’s a tiny chance of one club getting those draws. But there’s an extremely good club of it happening to one of many, many clubs over the years. 

It seems like every club has fans moaning about draws and some conspiracy against them on social media. It’s just random numbers and probability. You get clusters of numbers all the time. 

Well statistically that is the probability according to an online calculator.

of course at a level of 2.5% probability it will happen relatively soon to some team or other. Doesn't change the odds though.

15 minutes ago, teamsaint said:

Well statistically that is the probability according to an online calculator.

of course at a level of 2.5% probability it will happen relatively soon to some team or other. Doesn't change the odds though.

That’s an ‘a priori’ probability, that’s what it was before the first draw was made. Once the first draws have happened we’re into ‘a posteriori’ and on Wednesday evening the chance of being drawn away was 50%.

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That’s an ‘a priori’ probability, that’s what it was before the first draw was made. Once the first draws have happened we’re into ‘a posteriori’ and on Wednesday evening the chance of being drawn away was 50%.

Yes, I know that.