Sheff Utd 2-2 (p.2-4) Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

That would make sense and should be strong enough to win comfortably.

Should be, and do like the look of that line up, but the 1/4 final defeat up there under Koeman still feels fresh in the memory. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

That would make sense and should be strong enough to win comfortably.

Well blow me down - I think this might be the first time I've ever seen you agree with someone on this forum!

12 minutes ago, JRM said:

Should be, and do like the look of that line up, but the 1/4 final defeat up there under Koeman still feels fresh in the memory. 

Yes it does, but they were very much on an upward momentum curve at that point. despite being a division higher this time, they're still on the way down again following their relegation last season and they've not made a brilliant start to their league campaign. As long as we play a strong enough team, we should beat them with ease this time.

9 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Well blow me down - I think this might be the first time I've ever seen you agree with someone on this forum!

Yes it does, but they were very much on an upward momentum curve at that point. despite being a division higher this time, they're still on the way down again following their relegation last season and they've not made a brilliant start to their league campaign. As long as we play a strong enough team, we should beat them with ease this time.

Actually just looked it up, December 2014 that game was , apparently was Che Adams senior debut for Sheff Utd. 

Our record against them seems good in recent times, did the double over them in both the last two seasons, you'd hope they would make a few changes as well and prioritise the Championship. 

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Expecting something like

Forster, KWP Lyanco Bednarek Perraud, Diallo JWP, Elyounoussi Broja Tella Redmond

How far away is Walcott? Could Small play LB? Wouldn’t be surprised to see us go with Adams and Armstrong up front and try and get them a goal or 2. 

I think that Valery will probably play right back as KWP & Tino both featured in a fairly intense game yesterday. Valery started against Newport and Ralph has spoken reasonably positively about him this season. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Obviously an absurd suggestion but is there a chance Ralph rested Salisu today because 1. He thought we'd lose anyway and 2. In order to play him and Lyanco in this one?

More likely he thought that Bednarek was the more dependable option with loads of experience against top level opposition. Salisu is still raw and a yard too slow at times.

• Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

More likely he thought that Bednarek was the more dependable option with loads of experience against top level opposition. Salisu is still raw and a yard too slow at times.

'Salisu is a yard too slow' is a new one on me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

A yard slow? He's our quickest CB by an absolute distance. He reads the game quicker than any of our CB's as well, so he's quick in the mind and quick in the run.

What I'd say is that he is a bit rash sometimes, he can over commit and players like City can run around you - so I could kind of understand the switch up, a bit more experience in there more than anything. 

You can't describe him as a yard slow though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

A yard slow? He's our quickest CB by an absolute distance. He reads the game quicker than any of our CB's as well, so he's quick in the mind and quick in the run.

What I'd say is that he is a bit rash sometimes, he can over commit and players like City can run around you - so I could kind of understand the switch up, a bit more experience in there more than anything. 

You can't describe him as a yard slow though.

Salisu is several yards quicker than either of the other CBs we've seen play.    I was surprised he didn't start today - just has a few rough edges to polish, but he's got the skills, athleticism and reading of the game to make his mark.    Let's hope we see Lyanco soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Expecting something like

Forster, KWP Lyanco Bednarek Perraud, Diallo JWP, Elyounoussi Broja Tella Redmond

How far away is Walcott? Could Small play LB? Wouldn’t be surprised to see us go with Adams and Armstrong up front and try and get them a goal or 2. 

Small's playing for the B team today so unlikely.

I imagine Broja will play up front. 

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Well that is an amazing point to make about Salisu. I rate him as best for speed and defending out of the current CB's

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Gooner 

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Expecting something like

Great to have such a choice compared with last season. Really we have a new team built round JWP. I up my forecast to 10th instead of 17th end of season

Bit of bad news I'm afraid...

The Sheaf View pub - which I know is a favourite pre-match watering hole for a few people on here when visiting Sheff Utd - is closed at the moment following an arson attack.

It hasn't burned down or anything dramatic, and they are hoping to have it re-open very soon, but it doesn't look like it will be in time for Tuesday.

However, just up the hill from it is the Brothers Arms (Formerly the Shakespeare Inn), which I can heartily recommend as a suitable alternative. It's a bit small inside but they have a great range of beers and a really good outside seating area.

• Like 1

Looks like Sheffield United have started to find some decent form after a disappointing start to their season. Might be a more difficult task than expected.

Hoping like others that they will prioritise their league campaign. From a Saints perspective I’d like to see Lyanco start for this one and I’d expect to see Perraud, Broja and Diallo starting too.

I very much enjoyed my first live game post Covid this weekend at City and looking forward to going to Sheffield for this one too. Rude not to when living in the north west!

43 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Bit of bad news I'm afraid...

The Sheaf View pub - which I know is a favourite pre-match watering hole for a few people on here when visiting Sheff Utd - is closed at the moment following an arson attack.

It hasn't burned down or anything dramatic, and they are hoping to have it re-open very soon, but it doesn't look like it will be in time for Tuesday.

However, just up the hill from it is the Brothers Arms (Formerly the Shakespeare Inn), which I can heartily recommend as a suitable alternative. It's a bit small inside but they have a great range of beers and a really good outside seating area.

Ah used to go up there when I was at Uni. Fantastic pub, hopefully it’s all sorted and back open soon 

22 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Well that's absolutely shite. Why?

My guess would be to protect attendances.

The website below suggests the following League cup games will be shown in some regions around the world but ours did not make the cut, therefore the best alternative is either radio or to watch Sky Sports News which has a goal rush type broadcast and shows any goals as they go in.

56766154-7FCD-45A7-97EE-1C8FFBAE8E35.jpeg

Edited by nta786

I'm also looking forward to seeing some of our exciting and promising options playing, but with a caveat:  not too many newcomers at once without experienced first team players on the pitch. We must keep good shape, cohesion and understanding between the players, otherwise there could be a cup upset.

3 hours ago, nta786 said:

My guess would be to protect attendances.

The website below suggests the following League cup games will be shown in some regions around the world but ours did not make the cut, therefore the best alternative is either radio or to watch Sky Sports News which has a goal rush type broadcast and shows any goals as they go in.

56766154-7FCD-45A7-97EE-1C8FFBAE8E35.jpeg

To protect attendances for the early rounds maybe, but why scrap all TV fixtures for the competition? I doubt they'll keep that policy for the bloody final.

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

To protect attendances for the early rounds maybe, but why scrap all TV fixtures for the competition? I doubt they'll keep that policy for the bloody final.

They haven't scraped all TV fixtures for the competition or even the round fwiw. The tweet is slightly misleading. Two fixtures on Sky Sports this week.

Edited by Fabrice29

I’d start Adams with broja tonight ..Adams having spent some of his career here would be chomping at the bit to score against his old club .. Broja will bully tonight so robustness and menacing to start to get an early lead after some sustained home early pressure..then bring on Armstrong with pace to hurt them wen they tire ..would like to have a look at the gorilla 🦍 in defence along side bednerak .. moi and mouse on the flanks ..jwp diallo holding ..kwp rb and small lb Fraser in goal .

Edited by Chris cooper

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sheff Utd 2-2 (p.2-4) Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic