Sheff Utd 2-2 (p.2-4) Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Actually, on reflection, this could be a good draw for us. Chelsea have a congested fixture list in October so will likely field a fringe team and I assume Ralph will revert to us playing full strength (yes, I know Chelsea's fringe players are probably better on paper than our first 11, however...)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, trousers said:

Actually, on reflection, this could be a good draw for us. Chelsea have a congested fixture list in October so will likely field a fringe team and I assume Ralph will revert to us playing full strength (yes, I know Chelsea's fringe players are probably better on paper than our first 11, however...)

Have you seen how much their fringe players cost? They won't play kids. 

Big week for us with Burnley and Watford to play as well could be six- pointers 

8 hours ago, trousers said:

A player who couldn’t get a game for them, left because of limited first team football chances has been hailed as an insane signing by us and already been told he won’t be with us very long in here. I don’t fancy our chances against their fringe players either 

Always hope for a London away draw in the cup but this was definitely the worst possible one after going to the Bridge 3 weeks earlier. Brentford would of been the preferred choice.  I’m still slightly optimistic, we always seem to give a good account for ourselves in the away cup games in London. The 3-2 loss at Spurs a few years ago springs to mind as a great game/evening but in recent years we’ve knocked out arsenal at the Emirates a couple times and always seem to get Fulham at the cottage and beat them.  

Chelsea will offer us the entire end behind the goal for this, 5k I think? Whether we will take the full allocation after taking 3k up there 3 weeks earlier is questionable, another Ldn trip that weekend aswell with Watford away may deter some fans. 

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Ouch !.... our penalty shoot-out record is almost as bad as England's . 

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Good thing that is Chelsea's record not ours then 😉

Not the best draw, but one of those games where if they put out a weak team, we could manage to get a result! Looking through the fixtures for the next round not very many exciting matches.

12 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Would have liked a home draw but hopefully we can get through :)

That's the spirit! All these moaners about the draw. If we want to win a trophy, we will have some tough teams to face both home or away. Get on with it, with heads held high, proud to be wearing a Saints shirt and giving 100%. COYS!!!

• Like 1

Ralph's got a good record vs Chelsea, and our style seemed to cause Tuchel problems last year. If we were going to play a big team then i'd pick chelsea over someone like city or Liverpool. Definitely winnable.

Edited by Saint86

5 hours ago, david in sweden said:

That’s Chelsea results.

As far as I can tell we’ve won 3 of 7: Man U in 91/92, Everton in 18/19, and Sheff Utd 21/22.

We’ve lost to: Bolton in 01/02, Derby in 06/07 and 18/19, and Leicester in 18/19.

Do the stattos know if there were more?

Edited by OttawaSaint

29 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

That’s Chelsea results.

As far as I can tell we’ve won 3 of 7: Man U in 91/92, Everton in 18/19, and Sheff Utd 21/22.

We’ve lost to: Bolton in 01/02, Derby in 06/07 and 18/19, and Leicester in 18/19.

Do the stattos know if there were more?

I was at the game (JPT?) when we beat Norwich in a shoot out.  It was an evening game.  They absolutely murdered us during the game and I was convinced we would win the shoot out as we had got out of jail, and it looked like our players did too.  don't think we missed one.  It was at the Chapel end.

3 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I was at the game (JPT?) when we beat Norwich in a shoot out.  It was an evening game.  They absolutely murdered us during the game and I was convinced we would win the shoot out as we had got out of jail, and it looked like our players did too.  don't think we missed one.  It was at the Chapel end.

I’m pretty sure we also beat Torquay on penalties. Pretty sure that was the game when I thought Waigo would get booked for time wasting if he was offside one more time.

52 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I was there too, think a little kid ran on the pitch and was a big cheer when he got past one of the stewards.

Didnt we equalise right near the end?

17 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

15 of our last 21 domestic cup draws have been away from home according to Adam Blackmore. Mike Dean must be involved somehow

statistically more crazy... 9 of our last 10 League Cup draws have been away from home

2018/19 - 3 away matches

2019/20 - 3 away matches

2020/21 - 1 home match

2021/22 - 3 away matches (so far)

49 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I was there too, think a little kid ran on the pitch and was a big cheer when he got past one of the stewards.

Didnt we equalise right near the end?

Papa Waigo in the last minute. Then Bialkowski saved 3 pens. I was in the Kingsland taking the piss out the wife (who thought they'd won) and it was frigging freezing.