Marching Band

kwsaint

4 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

They are really good and they have such a positive influence on the atmosphere before kick-off that they deserve a spot in the Chapel during the game. It's about time we had a proper home end and they could be the catalyst for it.

Please. No band during the game. That is so naff.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Please. No band during the game. That is so naff.

It works well enough in Brazil and there's not much else going on in the Chapel, is there? It would also motivate our team a lot more than songs about hating Pompey do at the moment.

Edited by Nordic Saint

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

It works well enough in Brazil and there's not much else going on in the Chapel, is there? It would also motivate our team a lot more than songs about hating Pompey do at the moment.

You wouldn’t be able to hear the band above my screaming. It’s supposed to be a football match, not a musical concert.

Besides, we’re not Brazilians. 

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You wouldn’t be able to hear the band above my screaming. It’s supposed to be a football match, not a musical concert.

Besides, we’re not Brazilians. 

But I have no objection if those lovely Brazilian ladies wanted to dance along your screaming.

8 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

They are really good and they have such a positive influence on the atmosphere before kick-off that they deserve a spot in the Chapel during the game. It's about time we had a proper home end and they could be the catalyst for it.

Great idea!  We could go all out and have one of these :mcinnes:

spacer.png

(apologies for the offensive picture of TCWTB).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Great idea!  We could go all out and have one of these :mcinnes:

spacer.png

(apologies for the offensive picture of TCWTB).

That picture never fails to supply endless entertainment.  

If we went down this route I wonder which cuddly toys the Saints Brass would choose to adorn their stand. Would they audition for a semi naked dancer?  Would they insist on gormless faces like TCWTB and his 2 mates to his left?

9 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Nothing wrong with hating Portsmouth and celebrating it with a song. Wash your mouth my son 😀

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

This tears me apart. Hate the England band but by Jove our quiet fans need a kick up the arse to make some noise!

44 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

This tears me apart. Hate the England band but by Jove our quiet fans need a kick up the arse to make some noise!

Like you, even though I made the sugggestion, I'm ambivalent about bands too. I also hate the England band and the Pompey bandstand was embarrassing but our Saints band is something different.  I've been surprised and impressed by how they've galvanized our crowd before kick-off at recent games. It might be worth experimenting with them in the Chapel for one game, like an early round of the League Cup, for example, just to see what effect they have. If they got the Chapel, supposedly our home end, singing it would certainly improve the atmosphere because right now the only team with an end at St Mary's is the away team, although with so few Burnley fans coming, we might, temporarily at least, see a return to how it was in League One and the Championship, with most of the Northam, including the block behind the goal, full of home fans.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 2

On 20/10/2021 at 23:03, Nordic Saint said:

But in Brazil it’s normally just the Samba drums - adding a bit of rhythm and tempo to the team. 

16 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Like you, even though I made the sugggestion, I'm ambivalent about bands too. I also hate the England band and the Pompey bandstand was embarrassing but our Saints band is something different.  I've been surprised and impressed by how they've galvanized our crowd before kick-off at recent games. It might be worth experimenting with them in the Chapel for one game, like an early round of the League Cup, for example, just to see what effect they have. If they got the Chapel, supposedly our home end, singing it would certainly improve the atmosphere because right now the only team with an end at St Mary's is the away team, although with so few Burnley fans coming, we might, temporarily at least, see a return to how it was in League One and the Championship, with most of the Northam, including the block behind the goal, full of home fans.

Totally agree with this.

What other tunes would they have to get the fans going?

On 20/10/2021 at 19:04, CanadaSaint said:

I think it would be neat if the band would further celebrate the club's history by personalizing their shirts to our icons of the past.

Over here, the hockey teams honour their former greats by retiring their jersey numbers in a formal ceremony. It's (rightly) considered a huge honour. I'm not suggesting that - just adding another unique touch to what could become a long-lasting tradition.

Fair point about celebrating history and honouring various players but personally think the band look better in the same shirts rather than a mish mash from various eras.

Never previously rated the Admiral two stripe kit at the time but have to say it looks pretty smart on this, perhaps it's the lack of a sponsor that adds to its appeal.

Saints Brass though very impressed for pre-match involvement, but suspect it would get on my tits after a while during a match.