Points won from losing positions

jawillwill

I think that the dropped points stat is skewed by the fact that we score the first goal in a very high percentage of our games, or so it feels. I’d be surprised if anyone in the bottom half of the table has scored the first goal in anywhere near as many games as we have. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I think that the dropped points stat is skewed by the fact that we score the first goal in a very high percentage of our games, or so it feels. I’d be surprised if anyone in the bottom half of the table has scored the first goal in anywhere near as many games as we have. 

Skewed is one way of describing it, I'd probably lean more towards "the reason why" we have lost so many points from winning positions is because we score first in a high percentage of our games.

we've had a pretty impressive 8 match run here (3-4-1 | 12 points) considering the competition. (6 out of the 8 matches against Top 8 competition)

13 Palace D

4 West Ham W

8 Spurs D

14 Brentford W

7 Wolves L

1 City D

8 Spurs W

5 Man U D

For next 6 matches Saints have the 3rd easiest schedule. Definitely doable to be at 40 points at the end of that.

(H) Everton

(H) Norwich City

(A) Aston Villa

(H) Watford

(A) Burnley

(A) Leeds United

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Skewed is one way of describing it, I'd probably lean more towards "the reason why" we have lost so many points from winning positions is because we score first in a high percentage of our games.

Yeah I guess my point is more that this particular statistic gets used as a reflection of us not being very good. In reality, a lot of teams in our position don’t ever get in front in the first place, so can’t lose points from winning positions. To me us scoring early against City at home, United at home, Spurs at home, and coming away with a point is a good result. Whereas this statistic would make it look like a negative. I don’t imagine Burnley, Watford, Brighton, Norwich etc have taken the lead against these teams in the first place.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Yeah I guess my point is more that this particular statistic gets used as a reflection of us not being very good. In reality, a lot of teams in our position don’t ever get in front in the first place, so can’t lose points from winning positions. To me us scoring early against City at home, United at home, Spurs at home, and coming away with a point is a good result. Whereas this statistic would make it look like a negative. I don’t imagine Burnley, Watford, Brighton, Norwich etc have taken the lead against these teams in the first place.

I'd say it generally got used as an indication of a team that could do better, a team with potential. I don't ever remember it being used as a way of comparing us to Watford or Norwich.

It's always used as a way of pondering the "what-if" of us not dropping those points and being top half, top eight or whatever. 

It gets overused by commentators but always from a place of "this team can do better" not "this team isn't very good"

Like you say, no one uses it about Watford or Norwich. For good reason.

49 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Gotcha and agreed. It’s not as negative as suggested by the half wit commentators.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SaintTex said:

we've had a pretty impressive 8 match run here (3-4-1 | 12 points) considering the competition. (6 out of the 8 matches against Top 8 competition)

13 Palace D

4 West Ham W

8 Spurs D

14 Brentford W

7 Wolves L

1 City D

8 Spurs W

5 Man U D

For next 6 matches Saints have the 3rd easiest schedule. Definitely doable to be at 40 points at the end of that.

(H) Everton

(H) Norwich City

(A) Aston Villa

(H) Watford

(A) Burnley

(A) Leeds United

Very impressive when you consider 5 of those 8 games were away from home against good or very good opposition.