Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Midfield_General

2 minutes ago, StDunko said:

BBC match reports states we made 6 subs against Chelsea. Is that correct/allowed?

Was one a concussion sub?

Chelsea got a concussion sub to replace Azpilicueta, and when that happens the opponent also get an extra substitute.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 13:59, sfc4prem said:

This is the big issue. We have the capacity in terms of ability, just not that mental resilience, focus and belief. That leads to 'bad luck' games or moments.

If we see Leeds turn into a win it will really build some momentum and confidence. Lose and it will feel like we are back to square one, especially as it is a relegation rival we are playing.

The thing about the Chelsea result is it gives us a bit of hope. It's the hope that kills you as a fan, especially when that hope is dashed in the next game.

The thing about the Chelsea result is it gives us a bit of hope. It's the hope that kills you as a fan, especially when that hope is dashed in the next game

This comment is so true.  How many of us have sat in the terraces watching with relegation staring us in the face over the years.  When Koeman was with us, we sat in the terraces quite smug not winning the league but not going down.  It’s just that since the death of Liebherr, Southampton have been on a downward spiral.

on a happier note, did anyone hear Jo Tessam comment that Saints were making meatballs out of Chelsea? Classic.

• Like 1

Tremendous result for us, it really was. Ruben Selles has bought a real togetherness and drive back into the squad. Hes got a presence about him which the players love. Definitely has to be given the job in my opinion. Prowsey is just simply the best at free kicks in world football - incredible goal :) proper captains display alongside Lavia who is phenomenal. The back four were tremendous blocking everything, AMN and Perraud with fantastic blocks. Onuachu great performance upfront too, he has got such good close control and touch. Very happy - onwards and upwards to Saturday :)

• Like 2

On 18/02/2023 at 15:00, West end Saints said:

Huge over reaction without much though on this thread. 

1) Salisu injured, clearly DCC not being considered so CB not my choice but understandable. 

2) midfield (with 2 young players) totally lost their shape and threw the game last week. I like to watch Alcarez but can see the need to balance youth with experience (which was what most on here said we needed!) 

3) Moi is hugely under rated, his decision making, moving ball when under pressure better than most we have available. If we are going 433, as many here wanted, who else could play along side JWP and Lavia? Can see the sense in him. 

4) Stu is good, but I don't rate him in a midfield 4, or whatever the most defensive line of midfield is, as number 10, or one of attacking 3 is decent choice. 

5) AMN, must be KWP isn't 100% so one of AMN or Bree, he's gone for experience, again shouldn't be surprise as in press conference Selles said we needed more experience and that was clear from Wolves. 

Not an easy fan pleasing team that many of us (including me) would have gone for, but 100% consistent with press conference and nothing ridiculously wrong with it

On 18/02/2023 at 15:19, captainchris said:

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a post I disagree with more than this one..

Maybe I was right, and the manager had an idea what he was doing! ;)