Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Midfield_General

16 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I was out yesterday for a kids birthday party so didn't get to watch any of the game live. Just watched MOTD and it looks like we were good value for the win with some really committed defending in the second half.

Another great FK goal from JWP.

Good block by AMN to prevent a certain goal but there were two other moments just on the highlights where he made a total mug of himself - getting out-muscled by the man mountain Raheem Sterling, and then jumping over another Chelsea player, missing the ball completely and leaving him a free run into the box. 

Perraud's reaction to stopping that shot on the line is one of the best moments by far of this shitty season. More of that please.

Well done Saints and well done Rueben Selles.

Think the second incident you mention was Bella Kotchap not AMN

I know they don't have time to show everything on MoTD but surprised they didn't include that nasty tackle on Onuachu or his header in the first half that went just wide.

Ref was poor, seemed to give any 50/50 as a free kick to Chelsea. 

Booked Lavia for apparently wasting time while leaving the pitch when he was subbed but nothing for the Chelsea player who was shoving him from behind for about 20 yards.

Presumably when Chelsea are making subs while 1-0 up away from home their players all run off as fast as possible.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Some have commented that results didn't go our way but they perhaps miss the bigger picture. Ours was the stand out result, a WTF moment for the fans, officials and players of other clubs. Those sides in and around the relegation positions would, prior to this game, have been viewing us as certs to go down meaning they only had two other sides to finish above to be safe. Yesterday that comfort blanket was ripped from them and this heaps huge extra pressure on them.  Under a caretaker manager few would have known anything about who had only had a few days in overall charge, Selles oversaw a performance of grit, determination and no little skill that would have set alarm bells ringing at every club facing potential relegation. I think it sent shock waves that will resonate and generate unease in quite a number of clubs. Brilliant performance and result that should give us momentum and a huge confidence boost. 

• Like 15

15 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Ah, OK. Thanks for correcting. Difficult to tell from the one angle they showed and I assumed it was AMN because it was in the RB area.

1 minute ago, austsaint said:

I think you'll find it was AMN who made that block.    ABK had a very solid game though, given his lack of recent game time.

One of the beauties of winning is that I recorded MOTD and have just rewatched it.  If the incident was the one that led to the Perraud clearance then it was ABK that climbs over Havertz and misses.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

Some have commented that results didn't go our way but they perhaps miss the bigger picture. Ours was the stand out result, a WTF moment for the fans, officials and players of other clubs. Those sides in and around the relegation positions would, prior to this game, have been viewing us as certs to go down meaning they only had two other sides to finish above to be safe. Yesterday that comfort blanket was ripped from them and this heaps huge extra pressure on them.  Under a caretaker manager few would have known anything about who had only had a few days in overall charge, Selles oversaw a performance of grit, determination and no little skill that would have set alarm bells ringing at every club facing potential relegation. I think it sent shock waves that will resonate and generate unease in quite a number of clubs. Brilliant performance and result that should give us momentum and a huge confidence boost. 

Exactly.

Being that it was two games between 4 clubs down in the mix I fail to see what results would be seen as going "our way". Some if the teams were going to get points yesterday, just how it is.

If all four got a point each is that better? Leeds getting a point under their caretaker manager is better then them just losing? Don't get it.

We need more than just relying on other teams failing to stay up.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, austsaint said:

I've never seen a midfield kid with such strength, skill and vision as Lavia.  His progressive passing is remarkable and so is his acceleration, tackling and quick feet.   I can't see Man City NOT buying him back.   His game today was outstanding, and not far behind was JWP - his goal was a thing of beauty but his work rate, interception and defensive work were all good - best game he's played this season.

Well done to Selles.  Set a platform with the press conference and sent a side out with shape, purpose and a collective determination to get a result.    Still have to question the selection of Elyounoussi and Bednarek.  Was Salisu injured today?     Some commentary about Moi's first touch and off-the-ball positional work but all I see is a slow, cumbersome player missing a majority of his passes and generally not affecting play or providing any attacking threat.

On the other hand, much criticised AMN did a job at RB and Onuachu's first half showcased his hold up value and also much skill and touch in tight areas.     Still a mountain to climb but there must be a feeling of hope returned throughout the whole Club.

In fairness to Bednarek I thought he was our best CB yesterday. Played front footed, organised well, probably his best game in a Saints shirt for me

22 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I know they don't have time to show everything on MoTD but surprised they didn't include that nasty tackle on Onuachu or his header in the first half that went just wide.

Ref was poor, seemed to give any 50/50 as a free kick to Chelsea. 

Booked Lavia for apparently wasting time while leaving the pitch when he was subbed but nothing for the Chelsea player who was shoving him from behind for about 20 yards.

Presumably when Chelsea are making subs while 1-0 up away from home their players all run off as fast as possible.

Fofana (cb) was pissing me off yesterday, threw himself over at the slightest touch towards the end and the ref bought everything.. yet when Arma did the same he was waved up

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

One of the beauties of winning is that I recorded MOTD and have just rewatched it.  If the incident was the one that led to the Perraud clearance then it was ABK that climbs over Havertz and misses.

Fair enough - I'm thinking of the incident where AMN turns his back and with Bazunu going the wrong way the goal bound shot hit AMN in the broad of his back.   The other crucial block I recall was Perraud's off the line.   

7 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Fair enough - I'm thinking of the incident where AMN turns his back and with Bazunu going the wrong way the goal bound shot hit AMN in the broad of his back.   The other crucial block I recall was Perraud's off the line.   

You're both right. 

He's referring to the moment just before the Perraud block where the ball comes down our right flank in the air and ABK goes to head it, completely messing it up and letting Havertz in.

Conspiracy theory alert.... The club were always going for selles as they paid out so much on the joker... All the talk of marsch was just to say yeah we tried to get someone else but couldn't when all along the cheapest option was already at the club and it was what they wanted anyway... Hopefully the cheap option is a rough diamond... He's likable smart and he won his first game unlike Jones! Selles saints is on the rise! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just watched the Perraud and Lavia double block, then there’s the AMN block too. Loved Perrauds reaction…true diehard spirit right there that I love seeing in a Saints shirt regardless of outcomes. Bloody brilliant. I have to say the very best thing the Club can do now is appoint Selles Manager to season end…he has earned the right…the players have earned him the right. His whole demeanour, presentation and obvious know-how is a breath of fresh air after the walking disaster Jones. I’m completely supportive of Selles now, but not just because of the win.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Conspiracy theory alert.... The club were always going for selles as they paid out so much on the joker... All the talk of marsch was just to say yeah we tried to get someone else but couldn't when all along the cheapest option was already at the club and it was what they wanted anyway... Hopefully the cheap option is a rough diamond... He's likable smart and he won his first game unlike Jones! Selles saints is on the rise! 

You may well be right, but let’s take that a step further. Perhaps Rasmus has been extremely canny here…perhaps Selles has been nurtured during his time at Saints as a long-term appointment within the SR Group? When comparing each applicant for the Manager role including Selles they saw a CV that matched others but also as a known quantity within the club/group so presenting much less risk. Now his time has come to step up.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Why on Earth would the club want to make it look like they failed to land Jesse Marsch? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

I'm sure somewhere deep in rural Wales there's a small mining village where a wounded former Prem League manager (using that word as lightly as possible) has convinced himself and his whole comminity that had he still been in charge we would have won that 3-0 and that Selles is just benefitting from all his hard work !

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

100%, he’s been a fantastic buy and genuinely if he hadn’t got injured we’d be a lot better off imo

Chelsea, PSG, Arsenal maybe, Liverpool potentially.. they’re all the sides that probably need a no.6 like him desperately… likely be plenty of suiters the kids got everything he needs for that role including the athleticism 

A little Lavia showreel to enjoy from yesterday.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I'm sure somewhere deep in rural Wales there's a small mining village where a wounded former Prem League manager (using that word as lightly as possible) has convinced himself and his whole comminity that had he still been in charge we would have won that 3-0 and that Selles is just benefitting from all his hard work !

Turns out he was in Dorset, with his boots on, pulling a hamstring. 

I have been getting strong 93/94 vibes from this season,There are a few similarities.  Both seasons we had 18 points from 23 games and the manager situation has strong similiarities.. A ray of hope..we stayed up that year, and look at some of the squad players we had in 93/94.Colin Cramb, Lee Powell, Paul McDonald, Neil Heaney ,Matthew Bound,Frankie Bennett,Nicky Banger,Neil Bartlett. Compare that with the players left out yesterday. It probably shows 2 things.We had a pretty average squad that year & the overhaul strength & depth of squads required just to stay up is light years away from the early  nineties.

• Like 1

Was intrigued by JWP's post match comments about Selles, along the lines of "he's given us a familiar way of playing". Very telling, and a quite obvious little dig at Jones because nobody seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing during his tenure.

What we saw yesterday was basically Ralphball but with the right substitutions made at the right time.

If we can repeat this at Elland Road next week and show that it wasn't just a fluke against Chelsea then he definitely deserves to be offered the job IMO.

• Like 7

Our away form is quite respectable with 4 wins. Now Ruben Selles will need to see if he can address our problems at home because our only win so far was against Chelsea. If he can do that and continue to pick up points on the road we will have a decent chance of escaping relegation. Our home form is the major issue and it must be resolved quickly or we will be relegated.

33 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Was intrigued by JWP's post match comments about Selles, along the lines of "he's given us a familiar way of playing". Very telling, and a quite obvious little dig at Jones because nobody seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing during his tenure.

probably, but Ralph also fucked around with the formation this season, and the players didn't look like they knew what they were doing under him either. Going back to the 4-4-2 that the senior players had played for a long time was a good move. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, saintant said:

Our away form is quite respectable with 4 wins. Now Ruben Selles will need to see if he can address our problems at home because our only win so far was against Chelsea. If he can do that and continue to pick up points on the road we will have a decent chance of escaping relegation. Our home form is the major issue and it must be resolved quickly or we will be relegated.

We are desperate for back to back wins, a bit of confidence and with that a bit more quality and adventure in the final third to hep s score some goals. We have been unable to get behind teams or create overloads or anything really. 

• Like 1

A very unexpected win with our unexpected manager playing unexpected players. I am very please for Selles and team. He played a formation that all players know, 442, and used some of the same players that are maligned every week and we won. Cant ask for a better start than that.

We have to back this team with encouragement for the rest of this season. Jumping on players or manager during the run in will not help. If they fuckup, bite your lip. Curse under your breath, then clap and cheer them on. I was proud to hear our away fans belting out our song at chelsea.  I almost fell into the blame game. No not baz, moi. Lyanco, diallo, AA, peraud, jan b who all get alot of stick, but trully try hard.......AMN, wow, what a cunundrum. Like others i was shocked to see him in his hated rb. His casual and ponderous play and marking had me frustrated by what he brings to the team. But i will not say or post such negs on my player. So i did what i did with all of the saints misfits, had patience with him, and got to see another side of him. He is more composed than slow, doesnt get gittery, tecnically good and usually strong on the ball. He was just as much a reason we won, as any player on our team. 

Well done Selles and team. Brought players on at the right time and played thier roles very well, supported each other brilliantly. As fans of Saints, so can we, support, support, support!

To our match attending supporters, thank you, you cheer and sing for all of us who cant be at the games to encourage our lads. Saints go marching on!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Chez said:

We are desperate for back to back wins, a bit of confidence and with that a bit more quality and adventure in the final third to hep s score some goals. We have been unable to get behind teams or create overloads or anything really. 

This is the big issue. We have the capacity in terms of ability, just not that mental resilience, focus and belief. That leads to 'bad luck' games or moments.

If we see Leeds turn into a win it will really build some momentum and confidence. Lose and it will feel like we are back to square one, especially as it is a relegation rival we are playing.

The thing about the Chelsea result is it gives us a bit of hope. It's the hope that kills you as a fan, especially when that hope is dashed in the next game.

11 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

This is the big issue. We have the capacity in terms of ability, just not that mental resilience, focus and belief. That leads to 'bad luck' games or moments.

If we see Leeds turn into a win it will really build some momentum and confidence. Lose and it will feel like we are back to square one, especially as it is a relegation rival we are playing.

The thing about the Chelsea result is it gives us a bit of hope. It's the hope that kills you as a fan, especially when that hope is dashed in the next game.

We do well when teams turn over possession to us, be it forced or just because they are playing badly (maybe as a one off or due to their own poor form).  The press has been terrible since we started messing around with formations and personnel. Perhaps returning the familiar formation and  using players like Armstrong and Ely we can get that press working again and force Leeds to make mistakes. Sumelana can then give us a threat or the break and Onuachu can get in that size yard box and score the goals we need. 

That was a terrific performance (so nice to wake up not with that sinking feeling on a Sunday), but the most pleasing thing for me was the fighting manner of it. Perraud's reactions on the line, Maitland Niles throwing everything at it, and the clear sense that all the players really wanted it for their manager at the end. First time i've seen that togetherness. Very good sign that Selles perhaps is the man. Hell, even Theo played pretty well. Still need to get Caleta Car back onside, however. Hope he has the charm button fully engaged this week. Think Orsic might be sulking about how he's made the wrong move or something.Ah well.

Still wouldn't start Bednarek, and Adam Armstrong did some pretty brainless fouls when he came on, but that was a really encouraging performance with togetherness that augurs well for the rest of the season. Beat Leeds and they should just award Selles the job straight away. One last thing - need to see Saints as much as possible before the end of the season because not sure we stand a cat in hell's chance of keeping Lavia, who looks like one of the very best around.

• Like 2

Selles and the players need to go and treat every game now as if its a FA cup final. 

We have the depth and the squad now, we didn't even have Tino, DCC, Larios, Aribo, Orsic, Edozie or Adams on the bench yesterday..  so let's go and get those 6/7 wins to keep us in the division. 

But I was very impressed in returning to the high press 4 2 2 2. I think when KWP, Salisu and Adams come back into the starting 11 our first 11 will be very strong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Selles and the players need to go and treat every game now as if its a FA cup final. 

We have the depth and the squad now, we didn't even have Tino, DCC, Larios, Aribo, Orsic, Edozie or Adams on the bench yesterday..  so let's go and get those 6/7 wins to keep us in the division. 

But I was very impressed in returning to the high press 4 2 2 2. I think when KWP, Salisu and Adams come back into the starting 11 our first 11 will be very strong.

Agree and I think the 5 sub rule might work to our advantage in that system, now we have better depth.  A bench of decent, fit players with fresh legs.  

• Like 2

In Garth Crooks team of the week, two Saints players made the cut.

They were JWP, unsurprisingly and .......

...Yanny B.

"Jan Bednarek (Southampton)

What a defensive display by Southampton at Stamford Bridge. For a team that has kept one clean sheet in 20 games, they defended against Chelsea as if their lives depended on it. I could have selected any one of their back five against the Blues, they were that impressive, but Bednarek was the standout defender for me.

The Poland international has had a difficult season, but put his body on the line on more than one occasion, organised his defence brilliantly and weathered everything Chelsea could throw at him. Would I give interim manager Ruben Selles the Southampton job permanently? Well, he can't do any worse than Nathan Jones now, can he?"

Didn't expect that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

apologies if already posted..

No, thanks for posting crab lungs, hadn't seen it. A gulf in class between Selles and Jones when you listen to this interview. What a contrast in intelligence, leadership skill and personality. It beggars belief that this man had to report to the other. How on earth can Ankersen have got it so wrong? Really makes me question his competence.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Saint NL said:

...Yanny B.

What a defensive display by Southampton at Stamford Bridge. For a team that has kept one clean sheet in 20 games, they defended against Chelsea as if their lives depended on it. I could have selected any one of their back five against the Blues, they were that impressive, but Bednarek was the standout defender for me.

The Poland international has had a difficult season, but put his body on the line on more than one occasion, organised his defence brilliantly and weathered everything Chelsea could throw at him. Would I give interim manager Ruben Selles the Southampton job permanently? Well, he can't do any worse than Nathan Jones now, can he?"

Didn't expect that.

Interesting isn’t it? Not the first time Bednarek has been singled out for praise by a football commentator. As a senior international it’s clear his potential to effect how the defence performs must be recognised. The Chelsea game showed what can be achieved from a more cohesive, spirited and organised set of players willing to fight for the cause. Evidence was in abundance with Perrauds reaction to his goal line clearance and the sheer fact that AMN was actually positioned perfectly for his game saving block.

13 hours ago, Saint NL said:

...Yanny B.

Didn't expect that.

Was it a five?