Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Midfield_General

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yes! Loving Ruben this week. 😘 Brilliant from JWP, but still a worrying lack of shots on goal from Saints. Overall, excellent game management from Selles…better than Ralph even.

Stats show we had 5 on target and so did they. We scored one, were the away side and cost one millionth of their squad - apart from that, yeah, worrying.

• Like 2

On 17/02/2023 at 15:08, revolution saint said:

Chelsea 0 Saints 9

Team picks itself:

Bazunu

Bree Bednarek Lyanco AMN

Diallo Moi

Walcott                                    Djenepo

Aribo         A. Armstrong

Was going to go with 5 at the back but I think this is the kind of game where we need to go for it.

Good to see most of my lads getting a run out.  In your face football intelligentsia, I'm a fuckin' visionary.

Edited by revolution saint
  • Haha 8

Still not a fan of Bednarek starting. AMN did very well today.

What i liked from Selles was that he made subs at good times, womething that Jones(last week) and Ralph before him were very poor at.

We rode our luck somewhat 2nd half but its important that we made the most of it. Puts us back in the race.(just seen other results, if we hadn't got that win we were dead)

A very strong game from Bazanu too, good timing as he's been poor, whilst we've only had a 40 plus backup.

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LGTL said:

All we want is a bit of hope. It's certainly given us that, great result lads. 

100% this. We can't control anybody else - "control the controllables" as NA would say - but we have done all that could be asked of us and more. Whatever happens for the rest of the season, whether we stay up or not, I felt like I got my club back today. Proud to be a Saint. Well done boys.

• Like 9

Lost my internet with 6 minutes to go. Found a delayed stream.Phew. Nervy end, but a deserved win. We played very well first half and did just enough in the second. Rode our luck a fraction, but so what.  Happy fucking days. 

• Like 2

Identity back/Jones gone and all that bollocks but the reality is this group of players relish a challenge but absolutely bottle it when the onus is on them. Some favourable games coming up when we can continue to be reactive and will play proactive teams. 

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic first half performance and as said above, proper backs to wall second half but a lot of fight and togetherness in that team. Buzzing after that, we have done the square root of fuck all this season but get a double over Chelsea and their £1bn squad! 🤣

on another note, has anybody heard from DT? Usually relentless when something remotely negative has happened and now all quiet since pre-match… 🤫

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Still not a fan of Bednarek starting. AMN did very well today.

What i liked from Selles was that he made subs at good times, womething that Jones(last week) and Ralph before him were very poor at.

We rode our luck somewhat 2nd half but its important that we made the most of it. Puts us back in the race.(just seen other results, if we hadn't got that win we were dead)

A very strong game from Bazanu too, good timing as he's been poor, whilst we've only had a 40 plus backup.

I thought Bednarek had a solid game. To be honest our CBs weren't exposed much, so had relatively easy games. AMN is too casual for me. He wasn't terrible, but not sure I agree with you that he did very well. Did OK. No more.

Agree with you on the subs. Onuachu's fitness is woeful. He only just made 45 minutes. The same as last week. Thus week Selles took him off before conceding. We still struggled though when we made the triple sub. Chelsea stepped up a gear and were were ragged. The three guys worked hard though and that may have made the difference.

I think ABK returning had a major impact. His pace is so valuable.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Something for your algorithms and spreadsheet Rasmus - Nathan Jones 1 win in 8 games away to Everton, Ruben 1 win in 1 game away to Chelsea. Ankersen went out for tripe when he had steak in the fridge. Costly, costly lesson and maybe the subject for your next page turner.

• Like 5

Saints fans all walking down the main road outside Stamford Bridge singing "we've got Selles, Reuben Selles".

That's up there with one of my favourite aways.

Can tell from the celebrations afterwards how much the players love Selles. Pushing him over towards us, pointing at him, applauding him. This went on for a good couple of minutes.

Team walked off to Oh When The Saints, Lavia conducting the crowd and clapping along. 

The whole thing was just brilliant.

• Like 35

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Identity back/Jones gone and all that bollocks but the reality is this group of players relish a challenge but absolutely bottle it when the onus is on them. Some favourable games coming up when we can continue to be reactive and will play proactive teams. 

It can be hard to take it to teams if you don't have the quality of player. Much easier to defend than attack. 

But we have to work out ways of beating the middling teams if we want to survive

• Like 2

What a result that is for us. So what if Bournemouth and Everton won, if we’re going to get out of this by some miracle we’re going to have to do it ourselves and not worry about what the teams around us are doing. Besides other results have dragged wolves and Leeds well and truly into the mix now.

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Did I hear a song foe Selles come through on the radio ? "We've got Selles, Ruben Selles..." what were the rest of the words ?

"I just don't think you understand, he's gonna keep us up and win the FA Cup, we've got Reuben Selles"

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, saintant said:

Stats show we had 5 on target and so did they. We scored one, were the away side and cost one millionth of their squad - apart from that, yeah, worrying.

I think the fact I wrote still indicated I was talking about more than this game…it’s a continuing trend despite bringing in new attackers. It’s great to win by a single goal but as we well know, sometimes that’s just not enough.

Just now, Chez said:

It can be hard to take it to teams if you don't have the quality of player. Much easier to defend than attack. 

But we have to work out ways of beating the middling teams if we want to survive

100%. We spent years buying players for a manager who prioritised off the ball qualities and it shows.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Saints fans all walking down the main road outside Stamford Bridge singing "we've got Selles, Reuben Selles".

That's up there with one of my favourite aways.

Can tell from the celebrations afterwards how much the players love Selles. Pushing him over towards us, pointing at him, applauding him. This went on for a good couple of minutes.

Team walked off to Oh When The Saints, Lavia conducting the crowd and clapping along. 

The whole thing was just brilliant.

What's the rest of that chant then? "I just don't think you understand...he's Martin Semmens man"? 

2 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

By the way, how handsome did Mr. Selles look in this suit jacket and turtle neck? That's the biggest take away from today. 

My wife made a similar comment! I also have another child due in May and I floated the possibility of naming it Ruben were we to stay up. She didn't say no... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Just saw footage of the players shoving a reluctant Selles in front of the fans after the game. Yeah, we’ve seen it with Jones before but still good to see. The first half performance was exactly what I want to see from a Saints side. Backs to the wall second half but understandable.

• Like 3