Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Midfield_General

Just now, Chez said:

he's got a great first touch, so always looks comfortable. His problem is that he just doesn't offer much in terms of creativity. He lacks pace, doesn't dribble and hardly ever picks a pass. There was a great break opportunity in the second half and with more quality we'd have been in but his through ball was pathetic. There is too much of that. If you are going to play in a more attacking midfield role, you have to deliver and he just hasn't. Maybe in a flat four man midfielder the expectation to do that is less.

I think that's where he is seen as useful, as you say he has a good touch - so in tight spaces he can receive the ball and protect it well enough, but equally his off the ball work and closing down their passing lanes is pretty unseen most of the time. In an attacking sense we need tons better though, he doesn't seem able to provide anything apart from contributing to a shape - which I guess can be seen as an unsung role, but it does sacrifice threat in our attack.

When Selles made the triple sub I said to my mate “thats proper bold, he’s gonna look like a legend if this works” 

And it worked an absolute charm. Those 3 came on and pressed, harried and stretched the game after a magnificent performance from Paul. 

The fans were right to want Jones out. We knew we could put performances like this together. Quality from selles and the whole club. Now let’s get a run going and smash Leeds 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, iansums said:

Selles on Ward-Prowse: "Anything I say about Prowsey will not be enough to show what he means to this team, this club, this city."

image.thumb.png.6ed418b5113881b209e97e99b90e0598.png

And yet he amazingly still has many of his own fans who will never rate him, despite him being pretty much the only reason we still have half a chance of staying up, on top of keeping us up last year, and utterly betraying real world stats like ground covered, interceptions and err goals actually scored.

too much of a son in law who can’t captain, only good for a few set pieces (and even then gets criticised for them)  and is one of the reasons we are shit apparently…..

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

When Selles made the triple sub I said to my mate “thats proper bold, he’s gonna look like a legend if this works” 

And it worked an absolute charm. Those 3 came on and pressed, harried and stretched the game after a magnificent performance from Paul. 

The fans were right to want Jones out. We knew we could put performances like this together. Quality from selles and the whole club. Now let’s get a run going and smash Leeds 

Yeah, those subs were all about legs. You knew we were about to be pushed back for the remainder of that game, so having some legs to get us up the pitch was important. They're not amazingly top quality obviously, but they stretched it and kept the Chelsea backline honest.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I read it as he was referring to taking 3 points 'from' Leeds to get above them/avoid them pulling away, as opposed to it being solely about 3 points for us.

It's a relevant point, but still as you said 3 points for us is 3 points, we just hve to control what's in front of us.

Yeah it’s a six pointer as they used to call them

today wasn’t a free hit though. Under normal circumstances you don’t hope or need to get something away at a supposed top 6 club but our position every point is precious. During the week we said we needed 7 wins from our last 16 to have a chance of staying up, that’s now 6 in 15, still a big ask when we’ve only won 5 in 23 and win at Leeds would be massive both for points and belief but let’s not get carried away, great win we’re still bottom with a huge amount to do.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, a1ex2001 said:

And it wilL need to be enough to stop them just buying him back for 40m and then selling him to Chelsea, for me he looks like a 50-60 million player.

If Caicedo at Brighton is meant to be a 70m player, 40m for Lavia would be an utter steal. ☹️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

today wasn’t a free hit though. Under normal circumstances you don’t hope or need to get something away at a supposed top 6 club but our position every point is precious. During the week we said we needed 7 wins from our last 16 to have a chance of staying up, that’s not 6 in 15, still a big ask when we’ve only won 5 in 23 and win at Leeds would be massive both for points and belief but let’s not get carried away, great win we’re still bottom with a huge amount to do.

Going on current points per game it looks like 36 or 37 could see us stay up. That’s 18 or 19 points from 15 games. 4 wins 6 draws 5 defeats could just get it done. It’s a bloody hard ask given our form and upcoming fixtures but it’s not insurmountable.

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I don’t I often do this but this evening I am enjoying a celebration beer. I bought these last year from The Powder Monkey down at Priddy’s Hard, Gosport. The observant amongst you will notice that it has a strength of 7.4%. Let’s hope I can stay awake for MOTD

124B214D-592A-4F47-AB55-E2D843A90A2C.jpeg

Powder monkey do some very tasty beers to be fair. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

today wasn’t a free hit though. Under normal circumstances you don’t hope or need to get something away at a supposed top 6 club but our position every point is precious. During the week we said we needed 7 wins from our last 16 to have a chance of staying up, that’s now 6 in 15, still a big ask when we’ve only won 5 in 23 and win at Leeds would be massive both for points and belief but let’s not get carried away, great win we’re still bottom with a huge amount to do.

We have to beat Leeds really. There are only so many opportunities to dig yourself out of a hole. They are there for the taking and we have a little confidence. Huge game. A draw won't be helpful enough at the end of the season.

I was at Fareham Town today carrying out my stadium announcer duties as usual but had one eye on our game. It was quite nice to announce the half time score to a crowd of mostly Blues (especially as.portsmoith were only drawing) but to get back to the car and hear the end of the game on silent with us still winning was even better. Let's hope this is the start of a change in fortunes! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a1ex2001 said:

And it wilL need to be enough to stop them just buying him back for 40m and then selling him to Chelsea, for me he looks like a 50-60 million player.

That literally never ever happens outside football manager and they’ll probably lose just as much from agents fees etc

There are two trains of thoughts really;

- City buy him back because they want him… unfortunately with Phillips looking a predictable bag of shite its a real possibility along with Gundogan potentially leaving this year

- City don’t want him but Chelsea or any other club that needs a 6 buys him and City hoover up the sell on fee, (20% I think), my only hope is Enzo is the signing that doesn’t make them picking up RL a priority

I don’t think we have a hope of keeping him so hopefully we’ve started scouting a replacement

• Like 2

Just now, sibster said:

I was at Fareham Town today carrying out my stadium announcer duties as usual but had one eye on our game. It was quite nice to announce the half time score to a crowd of mostly Blues (especially as.portsmoith were only drawing) but to get back to the car and hear the end of the game on silent with us still winning was even better. Let's hope this is the start of a change in fortunes! 

What did you do instead, use the force?

• Haha 7

Top result, real graft and solidity from the lads and another class JWP winner. 

Fair play to AMN, he actually made a difference 2nd half. I still think he shouldn’t be in the XI though and we’ll be far stronger when KWP is back. He often doesn’t track his runner and is sloppy in possession, but an important block and some decent passes 2nd half. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chez said:

We came out of the blocks quickly and created a great early chance and never looked back.

Mara went for an overhead kick and basically kicked Azpilicueta's head off. He was down for a long time. 12 minutes of added time made it a nervy end. We wasted a lot of time. The sort of stuff that would do your head in if the roles we reversed. For some reason the ref played 13 minutes, which summed up his performance - not terrible, but ever so slightly annoying - booking ABK and then allowing a similar foul to go unpunished. It matters not.

Given JWP was booked for time wasting during the time added on it would have been strange if the ref had not added on some time to the 12 minutes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Going on current points per game it looks like 36 or 37 could see us stay up. That’s 18 or 19 points from 15 games. 4 wins 6 draws 5 defeats could just get it done. It’s a bloody hard ask given our form and upcoming fixtures but it’s not insurmountable.

Yeah okay 18 points 6 wins or 4 wins and 6 draws same end result. We’ve only draw 3 games all season which is a bit unusual. Big ask but out next two look winnable, could be season changing. Before a difficult March

Fair play to Bednarek, he put Azpilicueta in the recovery position on the pitch after the injury 👍

I saw some Chelsea fans saying that Mara should have been sent off for that, seems very harsh when he was making a genuine attempt for the ball. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

That literally never ever happens outside football manager and they’ll probably lose just as much from agents fees etc

There are two trains of thoughts really;

- City buy him back because they want him… unfortunately with Phillips looking a predictable bag of shite its a real possibility along with Gundogan potentially leaving this year

- City don’t want him but Chelsea or any other club that needs a 6 buys him and City hoover up the sell on fee, (20% I think), my only hope is Enzo is the signing that doesn’t make them picking up RL a priority

I don’t think we have a hope of keeping him so hopefully we’ve started scouting a replacement

In the list of our problems I'd say that's firmly near the bottom. If by some miracle we survived this year the euphoria will be such that no one really gives a toss and we'd have the summer to get a cm in or two (maybe one that can play 90 minutes every week consistently which tbf could even be an improvement on Lavia given how much he's missed this year.)

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

Fair play to Bednarek, he put Azpilicueta in the recovery position on the pitch after the injury 👍

I saw some Chelsea fans saying that Mara should have been sent off for that, seems very harsh when he was making a genuine attempt for the ball. 

Hard to say, I’ve not seen the replay as the channel (rightly) didn’t replay it (I’ve seen Twitter has the footage but I don’t much want to see it again). He was making a genuine attempt, no doubt about that, you’re absolutely right to say that. But players have been sent off before for raising the boot so high. I’d have been gutted if he had been sent off, but I could maybe understand why, it put a player in danger. I’d have said that Koulibaly should’ve gotten a red today for his reckless challenge on Tall Paul, he made a genuine attempt for the ball but got it badly wrong. On any other day either of those could’ve been red IMO.

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

In the list of our problems I'd say that's firmly near the bottom. If by some miracle we survived this year the euphoria will be such that no one really gives a toss and we'd have the summer to get a cm in or two (maybe one that can play 90 minutes every week consistently which tbf could even be an improvement on Lavia given how much he's missed this year.)

Tbh Im fully at terms with the fact we’ll lose him, kids going fully to the top.. he’s an 19 yr old, 6 ft tall No.6, press resistant, good at progressing the ball into dangerous areas

We’re not keeping him, modern tactic’s effectively REQUIRE a 6 with those properties and there isn’t an abundance of them at the top level

Either way we profit and move on, its been wonderful watching him but he won’t be here next Summer whatever happens imo

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

How costly do those results against Everton, Forest and Wolves look now. Even just draws and things would look so much more healthy 

Massive, such a shame we had a clown overseeing our most critical run of the season.

We're going to have to do it the hard way now for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Tbh Im fully at terms with the fact we’ll lose him, kids going fully to the top.. he’s an 19 yr old, 6 ft tall No.6, press resistant, good at progressing the ball into dangerous areas

We’re not keeping him, modern tactic’s effectively REQUIRE a 6 with those properties and there isn’t an abundance of them at the top level

Either way we profit and move on, its been wonderful watching him but he won’t be here next Summer whatever happens imo

Feels like a certainty, right. Lad is unbelievably talented. Been a pleasure to see him at this stage of his career. Think there'll be the big guns all over Europe clambering over one another for him. By "all over Europe", I mean Chelsea, Real Madrid and PSG.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Feels like a certainty, right. Lad is unbelievably talented. Been a pleasure to see him at this stage of his career. Think there'll be the big guns all over Europe clambering over one another for him. By "all over Europe", I mean Chelsea, Real Madrid and PSG.

100%, he’s been a fantastic buy and genuinely if he hadn’t got injured we’d be a lot better off imo

Chelsea, PSG, Arsenal maybe, Liverpool potentially.. they’re all the sides that probably need a no.6 like him desperately… likely be plenty of suiters the kids got everything he needs for that role including the athleticism 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

100%, he’s been a fantastic buy and genuinely if he hadn’t got injured we’d be a lot better off imo

Chelsea, PSG, Arsenal maybe, Liverpool potentially.. they’re all the sides that probably need a no.6 like him desperately… likely be plenty of suiters the kids got everything he needs for that role including the athleticism 

Chelsea have just blown £109m on Enzo Fernandes, they've surely got to stick with that investment rather than 'try again'. Kovatic and Enzo should be more than enough, with Kante as backup for the 6's for them.

Their issue is the blunt attack, so it would almost certainly be typical scattergun Chelsea to blow £50m on another number 6.

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

How costly do those results against Everton, Forest and Wolves look now. Even just draws and things would look so much more healthy 

Especially last week. A draw would likely have still got Jones the sack, but we couldnt even manage that. Bournemouth even managed to beat Wolves.

Results could have been more favourable for us today, but we started the day 5 points off safety, and now its down to 3. Small gains 👊🏻

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Especially last week. A draw would likely have still got Jones the sack, but we couldnt even manage that. Bournemouth even managed to beat Wolves.

Results could have been more favourable for us today, but we started the day 5 points off safety, and now its down to 3. Small gains 👊🏻

Given the results in the other games, it was crucial we got something. I think if offered a point at 3pm, most would have taken it. To get three is a huge bonus, and one that must not be squandered away next week. 

33 minutes ago, hackedoff said:

Is that the same Merson that was in the priory hospital in Marchwood being treated for various addictions and Saints granting him use of Staplewood ?

Or am I wrong on this ?

Hadn’t heard about this before.

Perhaps it was at the end of the season and we just needed someone to hoover up the white lines around the pitches. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

I doubt it, that plonker Ankersen would've given him more time "to work with the new signings". Luckily JWP made sure we didn't get the draw and more Jones buffoonery.

1 hour ago, sibster said:

Turn down the volume - I can hear you from my back garden! 😎

8 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I've never seen a midfield kid with such strength, skill and vision as Lavia.  His progressive passing is remarkable and so is his acceleration, tackling and quick feet.   I can't see Man City NOT buying him back.   His game today was outstanding, and not far behind was JWP - his goal was a thing of beauty but his work rate, interception and defensive work were all good - best game he's played this season.

Well done to Selles.  Set a platform with the press conference and sent a side out with shape, purpose and a collective determination to get a result.    Still have to question the selection of Elyounoussi and Bednarek.  Was Salisu injured today?     Some commentary about Moi's first touch and off-the-ball positional work but all I see is a slow, cumbersome player missing a majority of his passes and generally not affecting play or providing any attacking threat.

On the other hand, much criticised AMN did a job at RB and Onuachu's first half showcased his hold up value and also much skill and touch in tight areas.     Still a mountain to climb but there must be a feeling of hope returned throughout the whole Club.

• Like 4

One thought that crossed my mind as the 12 minutes went up, was our third manager’s first game in 2004-05.

if memory serves we were 2-0 up going into injury time, at home to Middlesbrough. A few minutes later, it was 2-2. 

we went down by 2 points in the end - if we had held on in that first game we would have stayed up. 

An absolutely huge win today. A long way to go but things are looking so much better than they were. 

• Sad 1

I was out yesterday for a kids birthday party so didn't get to watch any of the game live. Just watched MOTD and it looks like we were good value for the win with some really committed defending in the second half.

Another great FK goal from JWP.

Good block by AMN to prevent a certain goal but there were two other moments just on the highlights where he made a total mug of himself - getting out-muscled by the man mountain Raheem Sterling, and then jumping over another Chelsea player, missing the ball completely and leaving him a free run into the box. 

Perraud's reaction to stopping that shot on the line is one of the best moments by far of this shitty season. More of that please.

Well done Saints and well done Rueben Selles.

Edited by Sheaf Saint