Rate The Players - Effort & Commitment - not ability

Toussaint

Pointers,

This is just about effort and commitment, not footballing ability or anything else.

Try not to let personal predjudices cloud your answers too much

Most importantly, don't shoot me, this is just my impression, no deep thought, analysis, data or spreadsheets have been used in its compilation, its straight from the hip, just the way I like it!

Alex McCarthy - 9 

Baz - 9

KWP - 6 - Below expectations 

AMN - 3 - going through the motions

Lyanco - 9 - heart & soul in everything he does

DCC - 5 - meh!

Arribo  - 0 - Laziest C word I've ever seen in a Saints shirt

JWP - 7 - All got on top of him, gone a bit MIA

AA  - 0 - A joke, but not the funny kind

Che - 6 - in and out of fitness, form and confidence, at the spearhead of a spear with no shaft or no one to throw it. 

Orsic -  1 - What was the point?

Tall Paul - 6 - I'm sure he's trying his best

James Bree - 7 - Would have preferred him to AMN at full back, did OK when drafted in, his associations count against him which is unfair in my opinion.

Romain Peraud - 9 - always has a go, feisty little git that he is 

Stu - 5 - Poor , but something isn't right there

Mara - 1 - lame show pony, au revior, mon petit pois

Moussa - 8 - always has a go

Sulemana - 8 - ditto Moussa

Sillysue - 4 - Bailed when we needed him most

Edozie - 5 - too soon for him

Elyounoussi - 1 - does the minimum required to get re selected

Charly - 8 - Rare transfer success

Diallo - 1 - Rat

Theo- 5 - tries hard sometimes, but pace has gone

Janny B - 9 - Great commitment since his return

Ketchup - 4 - made of glass, heart of a budgie

Lavia - 10 - What a cracking lad, delivered way more than could ever have been expected from such a young player.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Confused 1

• Toussaint changed the title to Rate The Players - Effort & Commitment - not ability

There’s nobody in the squad I genuinely believe wasn’t trying. They’ve just been horribly man managed by Ralph and then horribly tactically coached by the following two managers. Add in the removal of experienced heads and you’ve got a group disillusioned and lacking the tactical and technical ability to change things.

I think people just hold themselves in different ways. A group of 30 players aren’t all going to Lyanco and clap and cheer every tackle but it doesn’t mean they don’t care.

As for your ratings, if tall Paul is trying his best why he is not a 10? And why is Theo’s lack of pace a factor in an effort and commitment rating? 

• Like 5

You’ve asked people to rate effort & commitment only but then posted Tall Paul as a 6, before writing “I’m sure he’s trying his best”, surely that’s a 10 then. If you’re serious about this you wouldn’t give Moi a 1 or AA 0, whereas AMN gets a 3 & Salisu a 4 despite “balling out”. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’ve asked people to rate effort & commitment only but then posted Tall Paul as a 6, before writing “I’m sure he’s trying his best”, surely that’s a 10 then. If you’re serious about this you wouldn’t give Moi a 1 or AA 0, whereas AMN gets a 3 & Salisu a 4 despite “balling out”. 

Just a but of fantasy football type diversion old bean, as I alluded to in my preamble it, wouldn't stand up to too much scrutiny. 

Alex McCarthy - 9 

Baz - 9

KWP - 6 - His effort has been a little down this year, some games it looks like he's going through the motions.

AMN - 1 - Gives the impression that he'd rather be anywhere else than a football pitch.

Lyanco - 9 - You certainly cannot fault this guys commitment.

DCC - 4 - Not sure he's been great, I think he's been causing a few ripples behind the scenes as well.

Arribo  -100 - Shocking attitude, it's like he expects his ability to do all the work for him and he doesn't really want to lift a finger. Might get you buy in the SPL, but it won't in any proper leagues.

JWP - 9 - One thing you can't fault is his effort and commitment, pretty much an ever present for years. Never misses a game. Always one of the highest runners in any game we play.

AA  - 1 - I don't think he wants to be here, plays like he doesn't give a shit.

Che - 8 - The guy always puts in a shift, one of the few I'd be happy to stay.

Orsic - n/a - not sure how you can rate him, not seen him.

Tall Paul - n/a - not sure he's really done enough to be rated yet either.

James Bree -n/a - can't rate him, just hasn't played.

Romain Peraud - 9 - One of the best things about this guy is his effort, a niggly little bastard.

Stu - 6 - As per KWP, dropped from previous seasons. Doesn't have the same energy to get around the pitch.

Mara - n/a - A young kid, harsh to judge. Plays like he doesn't 'get it' yet, too early to give up.

Moussa - 7 - Can't fault the guys effort.

Sulemana - n/a - not seen enough of him really.

Sillysue - 4 - His commitment has always been a bit iffy to me, seems to be more focused on his next move than playing for us.

Edozie - n/a - young kid, can't really mark him. Similar as mara really.

Elyounoussi -  5 - He tries, can't really deny that.

Charly - 9 - Love the guys attitude, commitment and effort. Always buzzing around, a real nightmare to mark.

Diallo - 5 - I don't think you can say he doesn't put in an effort, he's just not good enough.

Theo- 7 - Puts in the shift within the limited parameters he can perform in. He shouldn't really be playing top level football, but it's not his fault he's being picked. Still does his best.

Janny B - 0 - This guy is the worst for me. I cannot just take notice of the last 6 months and ignore what went on previous. ''Happy to move to a bigger club'' in the summer, and then, as Ralph put it, he was more focused on Poland last season than the club who pays his wages. Get rid.

Ketchup - 5 - Not amazing commitment shown yet, but he's young. Got a lot to learn. He seems a bit of a bailer though.

Lavia - 10 - Cannot question this guy, works his arse off. He has the attitude to back up the ability. He will go to the top, notwithstanding a major injury.

• Like 2

I think some of these scores are being misinterpreted into the ability column.

The ones that stick out as absolutely fucking pointless in terms of effort are the likes of Aribo, Maitland-Niles, potentially Caleta-Car (although I’d have been fucked off had I been brought in on a large sum to sit on the bench), McCarthy to a point as well.

I don’t think the likes of Elyounoussi aren’t trying, but then that’s where ability comes in to it.

How do you define not trying? Adam Armstrong sprints round the pitch - does that give him a ten out of ten? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Some of the scores are a little harsh and are more personal and based on the players ability.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

I really can’t be too harsh on the player’s commitment, personally. I’ve been there, working for a company which was badly managed from the top down, people in key positions, too smart for their own good, making ridiculous management decisions which were so obviously not going to work and it all panned out exactly as expected. People got fed up, wanted to leave, customers weren’t happy etc. Nobody likes being routinely embarrassed going to work, especially if that happens to be in front of 30,000 people and on Europe-wide TV coverage.

I can’t believe that by some amazing coincidence we’ve managed to assemble 30-plus separate individuals, none of whom can be bothered to do the thing they’ve been obsessed with since they were toddlers. That’s a management failure, from Selles and the people above him.

The only players who’ve stood out as having a bad attitude for me are AMN and Aribo. The rest, Moi, AA, Diallo all included are no doubt useless but I can’t accept that they aren’t trying.

• Like 4

For me, the players who put in the most effort are:

JWP - I don't really need to explain why; I can't find a flaw of his effort (and mostly playing) this season.

Che - he tries his best, however without a striking partner he's a bit lost. Hopefully based on his heartfelt apology on Instagram he'll stick with us, and we can find a proven championship striker to go with him.

Perraud - at the end of games, he's absolutely coated in sweat. Would like him in the squad next year. 

Stu - when in the squad he also clearly cares and tries, looks like COVID has knocked him out for now though. 

Lyanco - another one with lots of fire inside of him. Not a slacker at all.

Alcaraz - same as lyanco. 

Lavia - seems to be frustrated with the lack of effort from the squad - comes across heavily in his playing.

The worst:

AMN - doesn't give 2 shits. A disgrace. No wonder he gets loaned out to west brom or wherever it was.

Aribo - generally the same. 

AA is also a contender, so is orsic. Ik he hasn't played, but getting caught smoking in a nightclub is a bit old school for modern football.

This season would not have felt as shit if all the players put in effort. They don't get paid 50k a week for this!

Attitude and committment, forgoing ability:

Baz: 9 - looks like he cares. Mature for someone so young and thrown into the lion's den.

McCarthy: 7 - never looks like he's bothered about anything. The kind of guy you'd want in a crisis, just not a relegation battle.

KWP: 6 - he had more to offer this year.

Bree: 8 - looked like he worked hard, just didn't have much to offer

AMN: 4 - looked like he was trying...twice. Looks like the game is an inconvenience to his evening all other times.

Lyanco: 8 - no explanation needed

ABK: 6.5 - if he's not slightly lazy, he's slightly dumb. Sprints when needed though.

Sali: 6 - meh. Don't think he was fully at it all season.

DCC: 6 - didn't look totally fired up, but hasn't been treated all that well since he arrived, in fairness.

Bednarek: 8 - might be an own goal merchant and turns like Shieldhall on a windy day, but he does care.

Perraud: 10 - the guy literally busts a gut until he breaks himself. Ability? Meh, but A for effort. I quite like him.

Lavia: 10 - Only reliable player on the pitch all season. World's at his feet. 

JWP: 9 - we all know.

Diallo: 5 - there's a player in there, but god knows how you unlock it. He doesn't look like he knows himself.

Moi: 8 - I think he tries, he's just really, really shit at most parts of being a footballer player.

Stu: 6 - he had more in the tank, though potentially carrying injuries. He's definitely on the decline now.

Orsic: No idea. Only time I saw him play at SMS, I don't think he ever actually touched the ball.

Aribo: 3 - I forgot he was on the pitch in all his PL games. Pre-season, he looked class...but when the season started, he carried on a pre-season pace. He hasn't deviated. He can go.

Alcaraz: 8 - very inconsistent, but I don't think it's down to effort. Can be unplayable on his day.

Djenepo: 7 - I think he tries too hard, if anything.

Sulemana: 6 - I've seen what he can do, but we rarely see him try it.

Walcott: 6.5 - Maybe he's just getting older, but it doesn't look like he's busting a gut from the stands.

Edozie: 7.5 - A bit like Moussa...tries too hard sometimes.

Arma: 6 - I think he tries (ran his little socks off against Man City in the cup), it's just he's terrible.

Mara: 7 - His runs and movement can make him appear lazy, but I'm not sure he is. Any time we scored, even if it was him, he's the first one in the net to pick up the ball and get it back to the centre spot again. I think there's a hell of a finisher in there, but he's very young.

Adams: 9 - He always tries his best, can't deny that.

Tall Paul: 7 - Might be the same as Mara where he looks less interested than he is, but hard to judge when we set up to play almost in a way that alienates his abilities.

There aren't many I'd be upset if/when they leave, though, tbh. I'd love to keep Adams. Think Mara and Djenepo could be pretty dangerous in the Champ, but equally every chance I'd be proven wrong.

• Like 3

All I can say is if the players after the game who give the fans time can be used as how to rate them.

My daughter and grand daughter waited after the game

Moi was superb and couldn't give enough time and was very kind even helping taking a photo

Bazunu was good as well

Theo spent as long as anybody

Tino walked past and ignored the fans!

JWP had his wife drive to the front of the ground and jumped in and drove off

Lavia was exceptional, spending lots of time with the fans, signing etc. He also went out of his way to find a pen to sign a shirt for her. She has not left it since Saturday and is carrying it around with her. Absolutely thrilled. 

There were others but I cant actually recall who they said. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kitch said:

Attitude and committment, forgoing ability:

Baz: 9 - looks like he cares. Mature for someone so young and thrown into the lion's den.

McCarthy: 7 - never looks like he's bothered about anything. The kind of guy you'd want in a crisis, just not a relegation battle.

KWP: 6 - he had more to offer this year.

Bree: 8 - looked like he worked hard, just didn't have much to offer

AMN: 4 - looked like he was trying...twice. Looks like the game is an inconvenience to his evening all other times.

Lyanco: 8 - no explanation needed

ABK: 6.5 - if he's not slightly lazy, he's slightly dumb. Sprints when needed though.

Sali: 6 - meh. Don't think he was fully at it all season.

DCC: 6 - didn't look totally fired up, but hasn't been treated all that well since he arrived, in fairness.

Bednarek: 8 - might be an own goal merchant and turns like Shieldhall on a windy day, but he does care.

Perraud: 10 - the guy literally busts a gut until he breaks himself. Ability? Meh, but A for effort. I quite like him.

Lavia: 10 - Only reliable player on the pitch all season. World's at his feet. 

JWP: 9 - we all know.

Diallo: 5 - there's a player in there, but god knows how you unlock it. He doesn't look like he knows himself.

Moi: 8 - I think he tries, he's just really, really shit at most parts of being a footballer player.

Stu: 6 - he had more in the tank, though potentially carrying injuries. He's definitely on the decline now.

Orsic: No idea. Only time I saw him play at SMS, I don't think he ever actually touched the ball.

Aribo: 3 - I forgot he was on the pitch in all his PL games. Pre-season, he looked class...but when the season started, he carried on a pre-season pace. He hasn't deviated. He can go.

Alcaraz: 8 - very inconsistent, but I don't think it's down to effort. Can be unplayable on his day.

Djenepo: 7 - I think he tries too hard, if anything.

Sulemana: 6 - I've seen what he can do, but we rarely see him try it.

Walcott: 6.5 - Maybe he's just getting older, but it doesn't look like he's busting a gut from the stands.

Edozie: 7.5 - A bit like Moussa...tries too hard sometimes.

Arma: 6 - I think he tries (ran his little socks off against Man City in the cup), it's just he's terrible.

Mara: 7 - His runs and movement can make him appear lazy, but I'm not sure he is. Any time we scored, even if it was him, he's the first one in the net to pick up the ball and get it back to the centre spot again. I think there's a hell of a finisher in there, but he's very young.

Adams: 9 - He always tries his best, can't deny that.

Tall Paul: 7 - Might be the same as Mara where he looks less interested than he is, but hard to judge when we set up to play almost in a way that alienates his abilities.

There aren't many I'd be upset if/when they leave, though, tbh. I'd love to keep Adams. Think Mara and Djenepo could be pretty dangerous in the Champ, but equally every chance I'd be proven wrong.

Finally a proper reviewer appears, a man who uses half marks as well.

Good man

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

Tino walked past and ignored the fans!

Surprised by that. Can't remember what game it was, possibly Watford last season, Tino and Tella were in one of the boxes. Couldn't fault them for having pics taken with my kids and signing there tickets. Happy to have a chat with them too.