New Squad Numbers

Nolan

Think its worth highlighting the Squad numbers new and returning players wore against Reading.

3 Manning

11 Tella

16 Smallbone

24 Charles 

and looks like Amo Ameyaw is now 39 (from 75 last season)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Think its worth highlighting the Squad numbers new and returning players wore against Reading.

3 Manning

11 Tella

16 Smallbone

24 Charles 

Interesting if Charles does get 24. I'd assumed we'd be retiring the number in Moi's honour but I guess there's no room for sentiment in football any more...

• Like 1
  • Haha 20

I'm not sure that there's too much to read into this at the moment. There'll be so many leavers it'll all change by the time the numbers are finalised I'd imagine. 

Tella at 11 gives me hope though that he may stay. 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2023 at 08:34, Nolan said:

3 Manning

11 Tella

16 Smallbone

24 Charles 

These two are somewhat forced because we've given away their previous numbers. Edozie has taken Tella's 23 and Sulemana has taken Smallbone's 20

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Thanks - about the only thing we can glean from that is that Simeu isn’t listed and his number has been re-allocated. Certain to be leaving then, whether loan or permanent deal.

Sounds right. Vokins too, and Small. Neither of those 3 played for the u21 team on Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Thanks - about the only thing we can glean from that is that Simeu isn’t listed and his number has been re-allocated. Certain to be leaving then, whether loan or permanent deal.

Thierry Small too. 

Neither are anywhere near the 1st team it seems, yet both came with big hype and promise. 

Just now, egg said:

Sounds right. Vokins too, and Small. Neither of those 3 played for the u21 team on Saturday. 

What is going on with Vokins? That's a name I forgot.

As far as I remember, he had a miserable loan spell at bloody Woking last season, couldn't get in their team and we recalled him in January. But no-one has seen him since and he hasn't played a minute for the u21s.

17 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

Lyanco has lost his number 4 and 6 is still going free. Might be an indication of what we hope to bring in still?

yeah, leaving 4 & 6 free is slightly suspicious... would certainly indicate at least 1 'first choice' CB coming in. Although we still need to shift one of the current CB's before we can bring another in, imo. 

1 hour ago, Dman said:

yeah, leaving 4 & 6 free is slightly suspicious... would certainly indicate at least 1 'first choice' CB coming in. Although we still need to shift one of the current CB's before we can bring another in, imo. 

With absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever I’m presuming that number 4 is being kept for a defensive centre midfielder that Rusty Martin has already got lined up. And that number 6 is available as it was vacated by DCC very recently and the other squad numbers were already set (plus Lyanco is on the naughty step for failing his medical in Türkiye).

• 4 weeks later...

I note from https://www.footballsquads.co.uk/eng/2023-2024/flcham/southam.htm that additional squad numbers appear to have been allocated to many of the U21s and even a couple of the U18s.  The site is usually reliable though I have no idea where it got its information from. I’m also not sure why so many numbers are needed given we’re not playing in the Football League Trophy this season.

I'm also not sure why some U21s have a number but many others don't.  Generally speaking if you had a number last year you get one this year (Lett, Pearce and Simeu aside).   Ignoring those out on loan, the U21s without a number are generally new signings (Josh McNamara, Derrick Abu, Zach Awe), on extended scholarship (Adli Mohamed, Josh Squires, Alex Iwumene), were out on loan last season (e.g. Dynel Simeu, Luke Pearce).  Also Josh Lett.

1     Alex McCarthy
2     Kyle Walker-Peters
3     Ryan Manning
4     Flynn Downes
5     Jack Stephens
 Mason Holgate
7     Joe Aribo
9      Adam Armstrong
10    Che Adams
11    Ross Stewart
12    Paul Onuachu (out on season loan)
13    Joe Lumley
14    James Bree
15    Romain Perraud (out on season loan)
16    Will Smallbone
17    Stuart Armstrong
18    Sékou Mara
19    Moussa Djénépo Joe Rothwell
20    Kamaldeen Sulemana
21    Taylor Harwood-Bellis
22    Carlos Alcaraz (out on loan)
23    Samuel Edozie
24    Shea Charles
25    Lyanco (out on season loan)
26    Ryan Fraser
27    Samuel Amo-Ameyaw
28    Juan Larios
29    Jayden Meghoma
Jack Bycroft
31    Gavin Bazunu
Kami Doyle
33    Tyler Dibling
34    Dominic Ballard (out on season loan)
35    Jan Bednarek
Ollie Lancashire David Brooks
37    Armel Bella-Kotchap (out on season loan)
38    Diamond Edwards
39    Matt Carson

40    Cam Bragg
Ryan Finnigan 
42    Will Merry
43    Jem Hewlett
44    Jake Vokins
46    Jay Robinson
47    Oliver Wright (out on season loan)
48    Sonnie Davis
49    Will Armitage
50    Nathanael Boot
51    Brandon Charles
52    Princewill Ehibhatiomhan

Edited by Over land and sea
Updated aftert deadline day loans/additions
  • Like 1