Hugh Fisher F A cup medal

Cricketphilly

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

The club should buy it.

It would certainly look a lot better than the carriage clock and lump of quartz they currently have in the trophy cabinet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Fisher didn't actually play in the '76 final.  He was the named substitute (only 1 sub allowed in those days of course), but wasn't brought on during the game.  Having said that, he played a vital part in our Cup triumph that year.  If it wasn't for his late equaliser against Villa in the 3rd round it would never have happened.

I always find it a bit sad when players put their medals up for sale.  I hope it's not out of financial necessity.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Chez said:

It would certainly look a lot better than the carriage clock and lump of quartz they currently have in the trophy cabinet.

Don’t be so disrespectful.

“Daily Express 5-a-side Cup - you’ll never win that..  “

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikec said:

Fisher didn't actually play in the '76 final.  He was the named substitute (only 1 sub allowed in those days of course), but wasn't brought on during the game.  Having said that, he played a vital part in our Cup triumph that year.  If it wasn't for his late equaliser against Villa in the 3rd round it would never have happened.

I always find it a bit sad when players put their medals up for sale.  I hope it's not out of financial necessity.

Agree with you. I think Fisher went on to work as a rep for a Brewery after he retired. Often used to see him in the old East Stand at The Dell, probably buying his own match tickets.

Selling the medals does emphasise the gulf in what players earnt then and now. 

3 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

The club should buy it.

Thought I read that the club had previously bought Peter Rodrigues medal.

Edited by Badger

22 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

A rounding error on the daily salary bill! The club should certainly buy it.

Agreed and then create a much better display of the fa cup and said medal(s) than they have at present.

• Like 2

On 24/02/2024 at 10:48, mikec said:

If it wasn't for his late equaliser against Villa in the 3rd round it would never have happened.

Yep! I was there under the East stand. He did a little shimmy, as I recall it, and was an unlikely scorer. Don't worry Hughie, I've never forgotten your contribution. 🙂

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Yep! I was there under the East stand. He did a little shimmy, as I recall it, and was an unlikely scorer. Don't worry Hughie, I've never forgotten your contribution. 🙂

It won't be forgotten in our family since I named my son after him

I was out walking with the family near Wickham last summer and a group of people came towards us and one of the guys smiled and said hello. I recognised him from somewhere and thought it must be someone I vaguely knew. It took me a minute but a quick look on Google images confirmed that it was actually Hugh Fisher. I don't know him at all - he was just being a nice, friendly guy. I'd have stopped for a chat if I'd realised sooner, but the moment was gone. It would've been a bit undignified for a star-struck 50 something year old to be going chasing after him!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

It won't be forgotten in our family since I named my son after him

Brilliant! My siblings and I are all named after members of the 76 cup winning squad -  Channon, Fisher & Stokes!

I hope the club would purchase the medal! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cricketphilly said:

12K, well done Hugh, probably get around 10 after fees 

Crazy thing is you can't do that much with 10k any more. Wonder if the club bought it or just a private collector. 

• Like 1

On 28/02/2024 at 17:43, Golactico said:

I was out walking with the family near Wickham last summer and a group of people came towards us and one of the guys smiled and said hello. I recognised him from somewhere and thought it must be someone I vaguely knew. It took me a minute but a quick look on Google images confirmed that it was actually Hugh Fisher. I don't know him at all - he was just being a nice, friendly guy. I'd have stopped for a chat if I'd realised sooner, but the moment was gone. It would've been a bit undignified for a star-struck 50 something year old to be going chasing after him!

Played with Hughie at Waterlooville after he left Saints, really really nice bloke.

• 2 weeks later...