"Our" song

Nordic Saint

Can we please sing more than one verse of what is supposed to be our song? It always peters out, like it did at Anfield tonight. because our fans only know one verse. Even one more would help keep it going.

Oh, when the saints go marching in Oh, when the saints go marching in

I want to be in that number When the saints go marching in.

Oh, when the drums begin to bang Oh, when the drums begin to bang

I want to be in that number when the saints go marching in.

Oh, when the stars fall from the sky Oh, when the stars fall from the sky

I want to be in that number when the saints go marching in

Oh, when the moon turns red with blood Oh, when the moon turns red with blood

Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

It wouldn't bother me if I never heard 'our song' again, it's been so over done season after season, the slow dirge that now gets trotted out constantly does my head in. And other club's fans do it far better tbh.

Great numbers last night but poor vocal support, just the usual strained OWTSzzzzz, a couple of skate and Aribo efforts and nobody knows what to do when we get a corner. Usually the same away from home, home team in red, us in aways and still some are trying to get 'Come on you reds' going. Confused looks from most of the other Saints and home fans.

Just a collective roar would do, always felt that noise was more important than songs.

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers

40 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

It wouldn't bother me if I never heard 'our song' again, it's been so over done season after season, the slow dirge that now gets trotted out constantly does my head in. And other club's fans do it far better tbh.

Great numbers last night but poor vocal support, just the usual strained OWTSzzzzz, a couple of skate and Aribo efforts and nobody knows what to do when we get a corner. Usually the same away from home, home team in red, us in aways and still some are trying to get 'Come on you reds' going. Confused looks from most of the other Saints and home fans.

Just a collective roar would do, always felt that noise was more important than songs.

I am waiting for some "ultra kids" to try to start copying the Millwall monk chant ... wouldn't surprise me sadly

10 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Can we please sing more than one verse of what is supposed to be our song? It always peters out, like it did at Anfield tonight. because our fans only know one verse. Even one more would help keep it going.

Oh, when the saints go marching in Oh, when the saints go marching in

I want to be in that number When the saints go marching in.

Oh, when the drums begin to bang Oh, when the drums begin to bang

Oh, when the stars fall from the sky Oh, when the stars fall from the sky

I want to be in that number when the saints go marching in

Oh, when the moon turns red with blood Oh, when the moon turns red with blood

Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call.

Has this ever been sung? I must say I don’t get many’s emphasis on a Church Spurs style OWTS, acting like it’s so magical. It’s dull, boring, and frankly hard for the lungs to sing. I’d much rather return to the Triumphial versions of owts putting everyone in a good mood. As long as there’s no backboard bashing it shouldn’t be too quick. Get rid of the call and response. That way you can simply add more lines such as this and drown out the opposing teams - which I see as the main reason of utilising the song. 

42 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Safe standing on it's own won't be enough to create that - we'd all need giant foam hands

Clackers. Foam hand on one hand, clacker in the other, it will intimidate all visiting teams into submission before a ball is even kicked. 

2 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I am waiting for some "ultra kids" to try to start copying the Millwall monk chant ... wouldn't surprise me sadly

Not sure Millwall have exclusivity rights over it. I've heard us do it before the match on the stairs up to the San Siro upper tier. 

Thought it sounded great, and despite the lyrical complexity I'm surprised it doesn't seem to have caught on. I look forward to seeing it on a songsheet in the future along with a full multiple verse OWTS.

• Like 1

Years ago we were the only team to sing.. 'When the Saints'..

Nowadays there are supporters singing the song on behalf of a wide variety of teams.

Some Spurs fans think they we are copying them which to some degree is true as they started singing the slower version.

10 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Nowadays there are supporters singing the song on behalf of a wide variety of teams.

Some Spurs fans think they we are copying them which to some degree is true as they started singing the slower version.

Scousers have been doing it (well) since the 70s, others have done it too over the years since I started going in the 71/72 season but it was generally seen as our song. Can't ever remember Spurs doing it at all (but apparently they did occasionally in the 60s). They've really only been known to do the slow version in more recent times...but...I can certainly remember Saints fans doing a slow (fookin boring) version back in the 80s but thankfully fizzled out, probably because it was so monotonous and reverted back to the original way. 

2 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

I've been going since the early/mid 80's and can remember it being sung by teams other than us pretty much the entire time i've been going. It's obviously more associated with us than others but it's never really been "our song".

Then again loads of clubs used to sing you'll never walk alone too, but don't anymore. 

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Funnily enough it actually reminds me of the old version of OWTS that was done on the milton road terrace in the late 80s, the one where you'd hold the note of each word until your lungs nearly burst before speeding up. Haven't heard that in years sadly but used to love that as a nipper.

• Like 2

I can remember a slow version being sung in the 70’s by, what were to me back then, old men in the upper tier of the west stand, accompanied by stamping of feet on the wooden floor. But only when things were going really well on the pitch. Good old days. 

• Like 1