Moon Landings

Weston Super Saint

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but the current calamitous moon landings have me questioning are advances in technology!

We've had one rocket not even make it to the moon so had to be turned round and burnt up in the atmosphere.  Another has made a 'soft landing' but managed to break it's leg in doing so (source).

In 1969 we managed to get a capsule on the moon containing humans as well as a moon buggy.  We managed to get a picture of this in pretty good quality :

spacer.png

Over 50 years later, technical developments mean we can take pictures from phones and the quality is superb, but the best we can do from the 'softly landed, broken legged' abomination is this piece of shit :

spacer.png

We seem to have regressed rather than advanced.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but the current calamitous moon landings have me questioning are advances in technology!

We've had one rocket not even make it to the moon so had to be turned round and burnt up in the atmosphere.  Another has made a 'soft landing' but managed to break it's leg in doing so (source).

In 1969 we managed to get a capsule on the moon containing humans as well as a moon buggy.  We managed to get a picture of this in pretty good quality :

spacer.png

Over 50 years later, technical developments mean we can take pictures from phones and the quality is superb, but the best we can do from the 'softly landed, broken legged' abomination is this piece of shit :

spacer.png

I suspect that it is the current landing not the 1969 landing which is the fake. All these mishaps whilst Biden is president. Trump will blame him and claim that every " moon landing" would be perfect if he became president. 😁

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

First thoughts without looking into this at all, could be because the original landings were all at the hands of a human pilot while the latest landings are not - are AI/computer controlled landings harder and more prone to errors?  Also the original photo on this thread was it taken on camera film, while these latest pictures are beamed across space live on essentially a webcam? The original live feed from the 60s landings were awful quality too. I may be wrong on all counts and I'm sure someone here will point this out 😅

48 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

First thoughts without looking into this at all, could be because the original landings were all at the hands of a human pilot while the latest landings are not - are AI/computer controlled landings harder and more prone to errors?  Also the original photo on this thread was it taken on camera film, while these latest pictures are beamed across space live on essentially a webcam? The original live feed from the 60s landings were awful quality too. I may be wrong on all counts and I'm sure someone here will point this out 😅

You’re not wrong. The original colour photographs were taken on a Hasselblad.

https://www.hasselblad.com/about/history/hasselblad-in-space/

I remember staying up late to watch the first landing. I couldn’t work out what was happening and I couldn’t understand a word but I was there.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I really, really hope not! We currently have self driving cars and lorries and self flying planes. I really hope the technology is good enough!

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

First thoughts without looking into this at all, could be because the original landings were all at the hands of a human pilot while the latest landings are not - are AI/computer controlled landings harder and more prone to errors? 
😅

Apollo 11 suffered computer problems during it's descent to the lunar surface, used up more fuel than it was supposed to, came in too quickly on approach, and missed it's planned landing zone.

9 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's a lot easier to get it right in a studio. Oops nearly didn't put a smiley in there.

🙂

Sorry Mr Kubrick, they didn't catch on...

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I remember staying up late to watch the first landing. I couldn’t work out what was happening and I couldn’t understand a word but I was there.

Beside Whitey, a relative says "Bloody Earthlings, parking their Landers in our craters! Oi! You there! In the stupid outfit! Get off our land!" 🙂

- There have been a number of split second decisions made, right up to landing, made by humans on whatever data they had available. Judgement calls that unmanned craft can't get.

- Shedloads of money went into the quality control of earlier parts. IIRC sometimes due to previously disastrous outcomes. We have the engineering. The computing capacity and the maths. We also ended up with the usual suspects out to get their bit of the pie, and make as many bucks as possible from it.

- And it's tricky to get right. 🙂

• Like 2

On 29/02/2024 at 14:05, Whitey Grandad said:

You’re not wrong. The original colour photographs were taken on a Hasselblad.

https://www.hasselblad.com/about/history/hasselblad-in-space/

Did you have a colour TV in 1969 WG? My folks bought one of the early ones to see it but not long after it caught  🔥 as some of the very early UK models were prone to do aka ‘Curtain Burners’. The Phillips ones were safer, just very heavy by all accounts.

The instrumental soundtrack behind the BBC coverage was by Pink Floyd.

A real landmark moment to be around to see.

9 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Did you have a colour TV in 1969 WG? My folks bought one of the early ones to see it but not long after it caught  🔥 as some of the very early UK models were prone to do aka ‘Curtain Burners’. The Phillips ones were safer, just very heavy by all accounts.

The instrumental soundtrack behind the BBC coverage was by Pink Floyd.

A real landmark moment to be around to see.

Colour TV in the Uk didn’t start until November 1969. Colour TV test transmissions started in 1967 when the early transmissions of BBC2 began. Those were good films. All about building the Kariba dam and that sort of thing.

My first colour TV was a Philips G21. It lasted well. I had to fit a new tube in it and a new transistor for the line output scanning but apart from that it did a good job.

I spent a few years as a Principal Engineer in the Video and Colour section of the IBA research centre at Crawley Court and was a representative on a committee of the European Broadcasting Union so I know a lot about 625 line TV. All that knowledge is now obsolete.

No, I watched the landings on a 14” B&W thing. Same sort of thing that I watched the 1966 World Cup Final on. All one big blur..

I think it wasn’t until Apollo 12 that the coverage was in colour and even then it was only in frame-sequential colour with successive frames in red, blue and green.

• Like 1