What films are you watching?

Pancake

If yo haven`t seen it also try "The Lives of Others". Different type of story but almost as good.

I'll take your word on that. I found the DVD for a fiver in the HMV sale so I'll look forward to watching it sometime.

I am sat here watching "Mongol" at mo. Excellent movie.

Went to the cinema to see that and I thought it was superb. Well recommended.

army of darkness.

never gets old. "gimme some sugar baby"

Brilliant film.

Hail to the king baby!

The Happening - I dont know if it was deliberate or not but every single actor in that film just seemed to ham it up for me. Which I just found hilarious. The story was rubbish though.

M. Shamalyn (spelling) really needs to re-think their ideas before churning out crap.

Watched Love,Honour And Obey for the first time last night. Rubbish.

Sexy Beast is a trillion times better

"What's that? What d'you ****ing say ****? What? Problem? ****ing problem? No mate no, no ****ing problem with the plane ****, ****ing plane was fine, ****ing plane was alright, ****ing plane was perfect. It's you. You're the problem. You're the ****ing problem. You ****ing Doctor White, onkin, jamrag ucking spunk bubble I'm telling you H you keep looking at me i'm gonna put you in the ****ing ground i promise you!"

• 2 weeks later...

The uni library is selling videos at 50p a pop, so I came away with an unusual combination for a Friday night in.

Animal Crackers - its starts off incredibly flat and wooden but as soon as the Marx Brothers turn up it comes to life. Not one of their drop dead classics but still a hoot.

Aguirre, Wrath of God - if there is a more deranged performance in the history of cinema than Klaus Kinski (see him repremanding one of his monkey butlers below) in this film then I'd love to see it. Completely classic tale of Spanish conquistadors journeying deep into the Amazon jungle to find El Dorado, and going absolutely stark raving mad in the process. One of the greatest films of the 1970s, it was a MASSIVE influence on Apocalypse Now and all of Terrance Mallick's stuff and, despite the occasional ropey looking special effect, its still an amazing viewing experience 35 years later.

klaus-1.jpg

Shoot the Pianist - one of the 60s French New Wave films that Tarantino was so fond off. Its brilliantly inventive and manages to be absurdly funny and deeply moving at the same time. You've gotta hand it to Joe la Frenchy, he's made some unforgettable films.

Aguirre, Wrath of God - if there is a more deranged performance in the history of cinema than Klaus Kinski (see him repremanding one of his monkey butlers below) in this film then I'd love to see it. Completely classic tale of Spanish conquistadors journeying deep into the Amazon jungle to find El Dorado, and going absolutely stark raving mad in the process. One of the greatest films of the 1970s, it was a MASSIVE influence on Apocalypse Now and all of Terrance Mallick's stuff and, despite the occasional ropey looking special effect, its still an amazing viewing experience 35 years later.

klaus-1.jpg

Coincidence. If you look at the Listening thread, you'll notice I was listening to a Procol Harum track. Before that I was listening to another PH track - Conquistador, and it had this film as a Youtube video background.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R7SlkS8wGrI

Coincidence. If you look at the Listening thread, you'll notice I was listening to a Procol Harum track. Before that I was listening to another PH track - Conquistador, and it had this film as a Youtube video background.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R7SlkS8wGrI

Now that is a co-inky-dinky. I love the bit at the start of the video clip, where Klaus Kinski's character shoots the expedition leader, assumes control and then stares down every man around him, all of whom peed their iron pants fo sho. By all accounts he tried to kill the film's director on several occasions.

Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid, Pekinpah at his curmudgeonly best, all death and change and railing the man. And droopy 70s breasts.

and droopy 70s bob dylan? you gotta love Pekinpah, blood, nudity, swearing and men being so masculine they go beyond manly in feminine, and then rape and kill all the women and go back to manly for right old whisky knees up cor blimey ****ells and muscles alive alive-o.

:smt117

(they've censored my kock!)

klaus-1.jpg

Despite being a 3rd year film student, i have never heard of this film (O the shame of it all), anyways it sounds ace, i shall search it out.

Just finished watching Big Trouble In Little China, after not seeing it for years, and it's still just as much escapist fun. Kurt Russell is just this side of believeable bullsh!t [ready..? I was born ready..!]; the Chinese warriors were flying years before Crouching Tiger, and a younger Kim Cattrall looks utterly gorgeous. And the special effects are what we used to think of as special effects, and not wall to wall CGI. Good stuff.

Edited by St Landrew

Just finished watching Big Trouble In Little China, after not seeing it for years, and it's still just as much escapist fun. Kurt Russell is just this side of believeable bullsh!t [ready..? I was born ready..!]; the Chinese warriors were flying years before Crouching Tiger, and a younger Kim Cattrall looks utterly gorgeous. And the special effects are what we used to think of as special effects, and not wall to wall CGI. Good stuff.

I fell asleep watching that last night but had it recorded just in case.

It still does look good and I used to love it as a kid. Still remember that monster scaring the sh*t out of me the first time I watched it!

Despite being a 3rd year film student, i have never heard of this film (O the shame of it all), anyways it sounds ace, i shall search it out.

And if you want to know how barking the director, Werner Herzog, is, try Les Blank's 'Burden of Dreams', the best 'making-of' ever produced. (A film about the shooting of 'Fitzcaraldo')

Silent Hill.

Good luck with that, it’s a bit poo.

My girlfriend hadn't seen Robocop before so she had the massive joy of seeing it for the first time on Saturday night.

It really is one of the greatest action movies ever made and one of the very few 80s Hollywood films that attacked Reagan and Bush snr administration. So many brilliant lines, my faves are still, 'can you fly, bobby?', 'he's a cyborg, you idiot!' and '*****es, leave!' :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Good luck with that, it’s a bit poo.

My girlfriend hadn't seen Robocop before so she had the massive joy of seeing it for the first time on Saturday night.

It really is one of the greatest action movies ever made and one of the very few 80s Hollywood films that attacked Reagan and Bush snr administration. So many brilliant lines, my faves are still, 'can you fly, bobby?', 'he's a cyborg, you idiot!' and '*****es, leave!' :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Oo'er, also have the choice of watching 'One of Them'

Flight Of The Phoenix [2004]. The opening was OK, but as soon as the actors opened their gobs, I knew this would be another Hollywood film with Hollywood attitude. Of course the special effects are fine, but there was no tension, no despair, nobody appeared to suffer from the experience, and didn't even appear to get sun or wind burned in any great way. Even the plane didn't seem to take much effort. The only standout was probably Dennis Quaid, who deserves better than this.

By contrast, the original Flight Of The Phoenix [1965] is a masterpiece of film making. Everything that the remake doesn't have, this one does; and the special effects are perfectly acceptable as well, and almost certainly much more realistic in scenario. The acting is utterly top notch, with every actor giving their best, and they really appear to suffer and despair.

Frankly, why they bothered to do the remake is quite beyond me. There are legions of poor films of great stories out there to have a go at.

Flight Of The Phoenix [2004]. The opening was OK, but as soon as the actors opened their gobs, I knew this would be another Hollywood film with Hollywood attitude. Of course the special effects are fine, but there was no tension, no despair, nobody appeared to suffer from the experience, and didn't even appear to get sun or wind burned in any great way. Even the plane didn't seem to take much effort. The only standout was probably Dennis Quaid, who deserves better than this.

By contrast, the original Flight Of The Phoenix [1965] is a masterpiece of film making. Everything that the remake doesn't have, this one does; and the special effects are perfectly acceptable as well, and almost certainly much more realistic in scenario. The acting is utterly top notch, with every actor giving their best, and they really appear to suffer and despair.

Frankly, why they bothered to do the remake is quite beyond me. There are legions of poor films of great stories out there to have a go at.

I agree.

I always watch the original when it's on and it's in my top 20 easily. I recorded the remake Sunday and watched it last night. It was ok at best but completely unnecessary. It added nothing to, and removed plenty from, the original.

Is that where that kid gets moved 8 years into the future and flys about in the spaceship? Bloody good film that!

Went to see W. at the cinema lastnight.

Wasn't quite what I was expecting - the trailers made it look like it was a satire - but it's enjoyable nonetheless. The only problem is that you just don't know how much of it is factual and how much of it is made up by Oliver Stone. If I knew it was all true then it would be a fascinating insight into the workings of the GWB administration, but there's just no way of ever knowing. Worth seeing though. Josh Brolin is absolutely brilliant as Dubya and Thandie Newton's portrayal of Condoleeza Rice is superb.

Went to see W. at the cinema lastnight.

Wasn't quite what I was expecting - the trailers made it look like it was a satire - but it's enjoyable nonetheless. The only problem is that you just don't know how much of it is factual and how much of it is made up by Oliver Stone. If I knew it was all true then it would be a fascinating insight into the workings of the GWB administration, but there's just no way of ever knowing. Worth seeing though. Josh Brolin is absolutely brilliant as Dubya and Thandie Newton's portrayal of Condoleeza Rice is superb.

Haven't seen it yet. I can understand why Stone wanted to release this when he did but would it have made better sense to have concluded filming after the administration had finally gone to cover the whole glorious tenure?

I watched Cavegirl the other night..........................

Why-oh-why do a watch the most crappy B-movies around?

Seriously the free movie channels from 319 on Sky are complete rubbish and yet I watched an advert on Zone Horror of their forthcoming films and I now actually want to watch some of them!

I watched Cavegirl the other night..........................

Why-oh-why do a watch the most crappy B-movies around?

Seriously the free movie channels from 319 on Sky are complete rubbish and yet I watched an advert on Zone Horror of their forthcoming films and I now actually want to watch some of them!

Zone Horror is class. Check out their TV guide then look up which films interest you to find out other peoples views.

http://www.uk.zonehorror.tv/TV/Guide/Channel/ZoneHorror/Tomorrow/

Watched Silent Hill last night, it was totally edited!!!! what a load of old tosh.

I've seen a clip of a woman having her skin ripped off her and the copper tied to the ladder getting burnt to death, yet Ch4 didn't show it, disappointed.

Oh well, must seek out the un-cut version.

Edited by Master Bates

Zone Horror is class. Check out their TV guide then look up which films interest you to find out other peoples views.

http://www.uk.zonehorror.tv/TV/Guide/Channel/ZoneHorror/Tomorrow/

i adore this channel, it was better when it was just "The Horror Channel" though.

i went to see The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas" yesterday, a very sobering experience.