What films are you watching?

Pancake

Watched Mum and Dad in the end.

Pretty rough, the meat scene taking the biscuit. But not horrendous. Pretty crap 2 if i am honest!

5/10

Did they A) Know you were watching? B) Realise you were to give them such a bad write up?

Halfway through Australia as I type. Started it last night but fell asleep so doing the rest now, but the internet seems more appealing. Overly stylised love story 'epic'. Nicely filmed but not in the mood for this ********. 3.2/10.5 (Oh and why did Nicole Kidman **** her lips up like most other aging stars are doing?)

Perfume: Story of a Murderer

It’s a serial killer film with several differences; its set in Paris in 1766, a string of sexy ladiez are killed to be distilled into essential oils in order to create the ultimte perfume, and its as dull as dish water. It bares all the scars of a book-to-film adaptation; too much annoying voice over, too much plot crammed in; and the unshakable feeling that you really should be reading the book instead.

Everyone speaks in mockney accents, apart from Dustin Hoffman whose having a 'Allo 'Allo flashback.

There's a nice moment at the end when the serial killer, about to be executed, unleashes his ultimate perfume and turns a crowd baying for his blood into a thronging, gurning mass of loved-up sex monkeys, but all in all, what ever made the book great got lost in translation.

I saw this film in the week, and thought it was great. Did away with the ending we all expect to happen and gave us something completely random. Much better than Watchmen that I saw on Friday...but to be fair I dont think I really "got" that film anyways.

I have just watched "Seven" oncemore,i still find it a fantastic movie.

The final few scenes are really gripping,i find it quite difficult to comprehend the emotions that Pitt's character "David" would be going through.

The first time i saw it those last moments blew me away,excellent stuff.

Went and saw Watchmen on Saturday.

Felt like I'd done ten rounds with Mike Tyson afterwards.

A truly troubling film, but its going to be looked back upon as a classic, up there with Apocalypse Now or Blade Runner.

In what way troubling Alps? I am really interested to hear from anyone who hasnt read the graphic novel and understood this film. It just seems so dated, I know its set back in 1985, but it never made me feel like I cared what happened at the end. After nearly 2 hours of character build up I felt the ending was rather rushed. Also without giving anything away, what the eff was with Rorschach at the end??? Maybe I need to see this again.... :smt017

In what way troubling Alps? I am really interested to hear from anyone who hasnt read the graphic novel and understood this film. It just seems so dated, I know its set back in 1985, but it never made me feel like I cared what happened at the end. After nearly 2 hours of character build up I felt the ending was rather rushed. Also without giving anything away, what the eff was with Rorschach at the end??? Maybe I need to see this again.... :smt017

Havent read the comic (ordered it from Amazon a couple of years ago but cancelled it due to being short of money at the time - new order awaiting delivery...) But I took the time to read a precis of the story on Wikipedia before I went.

I found the background of Doctor Manhattan and Rorschach troubling, and the violence was quite intense. Especially the scene with the pool table...

I thought it was a f**king good film, but as one review I've read stated "It leaves bombs going off in your head for days afterwards"

Dear Wendy

A touching and unusual love story between **** (as in , the short name for Richard :D), a young outsider in a tiny American town, and his beloved gun, Wendy. He forms a gang out of all the town's geeks, nerds and losers, who immerse themselves in the science of ballistics, entry/exit wounds and outrageous foppish behaviour to wind up the 'real men' that work in the town's mine. They all marry their 'partners' (guns) and vow not to 'make love' to (shoot) anyone but when Wendy falls in love with a new gang member, everything leads them toward the inevitable stand off with the cops, the hail of bullets and a blood splattered blaze of glory.

It was written by Lars Von Trier and directed by Thomas Vinterberg, who made the first (and by far the best) dogma film Festen. Jamie Bell is excellent in the lead role, and Bill Pullman reminded me how great he was in Lost Highway with another wonderfully creepy role as the town's sheriff. Its all shockingly allegorical - guns are like bad, mkay? Or is it? Either way its recommended for anyone bored with by-the-numbers Hollywood trash.

8/10

Dark Knight

I watched this again over the weekend and it confirmed everything I thought about it first time round; its too long and uneven, and the bit at the end with the two ferries just feels rushed and painfully worthy compared to the rest of it. But saying that its pretty impressive and is clearly influenced by The Wire. Who needs an elaborately gothic Gotham City when 'TVs greatest ever show' has illustrated that most American cities are in a slow but steady terminal decline. The gritty 'real life' stuff clashes with the silly super-hero stuff but it all just about hangs together, thanks largely to Heath Ledger, and Michael Caine who gives the film some much needed warmth.

Better than Batman Begins but still plenty of room for improvement. It feels heavily cut (no doubt it was to get the 12 cert) and I imagine a director's cut/15-cert version will be a much more satisfying experience.

657.3/1000

Off to see Watchmen tonight!

Just finished watching On The Beach, written by Nevil Shute; the 1959 film starring Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner. They may have couched feelings a little more quaintly back then, but it still hits hard. There's no real respite from the depression of imminent end to everything, and Stanley Kramer, the director pulls few punches. The last 20 minutes are particularly traumatic, if you've followed the film from the start.

If you're feeling down for very little reason, and you need to be pulled right smack into what's important, because in reality, there ain't much wrong with your life, then watch it.

If not, I would avoid it. There's plenty of films around to have a better time with. Not a masterpiece, but it certainly wears well, 50 years on.

After being truely appalled by the film versions of From Hell, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta, I saw this one before reading the graphic novel. I think I followed most of what was happening, but Alan Moore has said in the past that his comics and graphic novels don't translate well to the screen because not all of it is mean't to be taken literally, but when its on screen its much harder not to do this. **SOILER SPOLIER** The bit with Rorschach at the end was a bit odd, but I guess he felt he had to tell the world what was happening. Its really similar to the end of Dark Knight, where the DR M has to take the fall and be framed as the villain, for the wider good.

Considering I really hated 300 (well half of me really hated it, the other half found it an empty dry-w@nk of a film) I was surprised by how much I liked Watchmen. There were some truly inspired moments, the bit in the prison riot where Rorschach follows mini-me into the toilets and the swinging toilet door showed you just enough to know something really bad was going down, that was much more shocking than the full-on in-your-face-violence. The opening credits were great too.

It suffers from the same problems that Dark Knight has, its w-a-y t-o-o l-o-n-g and very uneven, but this may be remembered as the more interesting of the two films.

Felt like I'd done ten rounds with Mike Tyson afterwards.

Damn straight, I could barely string a sentence togther afterwards.

700,000 out of a million

Continuing the Watchmen dialogue....

The graphic novel has been a favourite of mine for years and I too was a bit apprehensive as to how this would translate to film after attempts like V for Vendetta, From Hell etc. but in this instance I wasn't disappointed. Yes it took an age to get going but then there's a hell of a lot to try and get into film; there's sub plot within sub plot....

If it had followed the book too closely the ending may have ended up looking something like the end to Akira....

There were things things that were not included....I was wondering if they were going to run Tales of the Black Freighter in it somehow, but that would have been truly dark and really would have detracted from the tale. Perhaps a short in its own right?

But all in all a good attempt....8/10....

I watched A Beautiful Mind last night. And despite thinking Russell Crowe is a ****, I thought it was excellent, and no, I wasn't crying every five minutes towards the end, I just had something in my eye. And it had been a long day...

Hood Rats 2

All I can say is that it was so bad it was actually quite funny. Basically about a group of girls of which one gets beat up by her boyfriend and the others decide to get some payback.

Its like a modern day take on The Warriors (now that is a quality film) but just 100 times worse.

Only saving grace is that there are some nice ladies in the film.

GAR's Diary of the Dead

Would have been better if he'd gone with a full on approach of making it real life rather than it being contrieved as it is.

Rubbish film, actors and the meassage of the film didn't get through to me at all. Also the main guy is an idiot for not going with the obvious - you would'nt get people like that in real in that situation.

Making a film Vs Staying alive and being with hot missus? Tough choice hey.

Watched "Persepolis" last night. It is a cartoon film in black and white (mostly) and tells the story of a young girl growing up in Iran during the last days of the Shah and through the Islamic Revolution that followed. I know that it doesn`t sound "exciting" but it turned out to be a really good watch.

Watched Spirited Away with the kids today. Studio Ghibli can never do any wrong imo and I would say that this one is the best, with Howl's Moving Castle a very close second both being written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

Must get Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea now....

I watched A Beautiful Mind last night. And despite thinking Russell Crowe is a ****, I thought it was excellent, and no, I wasn't crying every five minutes towards the end, I just had something in my eye. And it had been a long day...

To be fair to Russell Crowe, he's not half as bad an actor as some people make out, but then he's not as good as some others make out, either. All in my opinion, of course..!

However, in the odd film, for example, Master & Commander, he seems like he was born to portray his character, Captain Jack Aubrey.

In A Beautiful Mind, I don't think he is at his best, being quite Stanislavski and full of technique. But even so, he manages to make one aware of the dust particle in the eye near the end. Or perhaps I'm just being sentimental.

Most of his best scenes are with Paul Bettany, and in M & C, the actor chemistry between them is superb, and the mainstay of a thoroughly great film. But not this one, IMO.

Just watched "The Passion Of The Christ".

It was not "enjoyable" in the true sense of the word, by far.

It was not a "good" film in the true sense of the word,either.

Just brutality from start to finish.

Would i reccomend it,yes.

And,no,i don't hold any strong religious beliefs.

Watched Blood Diamond lastnight

Normally I can't stand Leonardo Di Caprio. He has the most punchable face on earth and he completely ruined The Beach (although that's not really his fault, more the fault of the director for casting him in the first place) IMO. However, I actually thought he was brilliant in this film as a callous, immoral diamond smuggler.

The film shows the horrors of the civil war in Sierra Leone, where children were plucked from their villages by the RUF and forced to fight - all funded by the illegal export of diamonds mined in the area.

It's a fast-paced film with really good chemistry between the main characters. Very well scripted and Leo's Zimbabwean accent is spot-on and totally convincing. It's a little bit cheesy in a handful of places, but as Hollywood films go it has a lot of depth and is very engaging.

8/10

Watched Blood Diamond lastnight

Normally I can't stand Leonardo Di Caprio. He has the most punchable face on earth and he completely ruined The Beach (although that's not really his fault, more the fault of the director for casting him in the first place) IMO.

Oh come on, Bexy. He's also brilliant in Catch Me If You Can, which I watched the other day. And in The Aviator.

I'll grant you he initially comes over as someone you want to punch, but most of time he wins you over. Now Keanu Reeves; there's someone who needs knocking down, good and proper.

Oh come on, Bexy. He's also brilliant in Catch Me If You Can, which I watched the other day. And in The Aviator.

I'll grant you he initially comes over as someone you want to punch, but most of time he wins you over. Now Keanu Reeves; there's someone who needs knocking down, good and proper.

I haven't seen either of those films so I can't comment on them.

I don't doubt LDC's abilities as an actor. I recently watched What's Eating Gilbert Grape for the first time and his portrayal of a disabled kid in that (one of his earliest films) is brilliant. In fact, each new film of his I see, the more I appreciate his talents. I just don't like him.

But yeah, Keanu Reeves has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Terrible actor AND a punchable face. Poor guy.

I haven't seen either of those films so I can't comment on them.

I don't doubt LDC's abilities as an actor. I recently watched What's Eating Gilbert Grape for the first time and his portrayal of a disabled kid in that (one of his earliest films) is brilliant. In fact, each new film of his I see, the more I appreciate his talents. I just don't like him.

But yeah, Keanu Reeves has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Terrible actor AND a punchable face. Poor guy.

Well I've never seen that one, although I have been told it's good. The title doesn't inspire though. Titles are important.

Do have a go at Catch Me If You Can. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, right down to the excellent opening jazz score. [Youtube the score] He even puts everyman actor, Tom Hanks into second place. I'll say no more. The Aviator is a biopic of Howard Hughes, and LDC does a very good job of capturing the spirit of the man. Don't get me wrong, I don't look forward in the slightest to an upcoming LDC picture. But looking back, I'm surprised by how many films he's improved by being in them IMO.

watched eden lake and the last horror movie this morning as research. eden lake was very good, if a little simplistic in its characterisation. last horror movie was boring despite a fairly interesting idea.

any other ideas for realistic contemporary british horror films?

Just finished watching Children of men last night,starts off ok with a different sort of take on a future in decay.But then just seems to drift off the plot about halfway through and never recovers also a really lazy ending.

Clive Owen is ok in it but he never seems to be comfortable in the leading man role,Michael Caine is also amusing as a new age hippy type.

Rating 5/10.

I watched a great film called 'Crash' last night.

Really good film and has some great sex scenes too. Never realised it was banned, honestly, this country really needs to get a grip if they banned that.

I've got that film on VHS somewhere, didn't know it had been banned either.

There was a massive fuss over Crash when it came out. I watched it anyway and thought it was sh*t.

Watched 'Nuts In May' the other day - brilliant.

I assume this is the Mike Leigh play with Alison Steadman. I have watched this many times. Makes me laugh every time. It is brilliant.

I assume this is the Mike Leigh play with Alison Steadman. I have watched this many times. Makes me laugh every time. It is brilliant.

Yes indeed, top notch stuff and I couldn't agree more re making me laugh every single time.

"I'll knock your head off".

Went to see Coraline this evening with the tin lids, which was right up their street and mine too to be honest, as we all like the Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. Seeing it in 3D was a wheeze too. I would not recommend it for smaller kids despite its colourful posters, as it builds the story slowly and steadily and like all of the films in this genre its a bit dark with food for Nightmares.

My kids who are 13 & 14 lapped it up and thought it was great.

I watched a great film called 'Crash' last night.

Really good film and has some great sex scenes too. Never realised it was banned, honestly, this country really needs to get a grip if they banned that.

Film is absolute pants compared to the book. Except Holly Hunter isn't in the book....

Went to see Let The Right One In last night at Harbour Lights. I personally thought it was fab. A really warm, touching and sensitive fairytale of a horror film. The usual caution of 'Be careful what you wish for' doesn't follow in this film where poor 12 year old bullied Oskar wishes for a friend to help him out. His wish is granted but not quite how he expects.

Ebbs and flows gently along with the occasional bit of gore thrown in. Don't expect slash/horror, that's not what it's about, but it's difficult to say too much without giving the game away.

Quatum Of Solace - Organic Arborio Risotto Rice.

I watched that last night, thought it was alright. I'd watched the bourne supremacy the week before and all the good bit were seemingly cut and pasted into Quantum. Along with Batman and Bourne, Bond is another modern day hero given a dark and gritty image, flawed nature, nasty side, and the films are drenched in this ambiguity of 'is the USA good or bad, discuss'. Bond is much nastier than Bourne, which makes me feel slightly patriotic in a way. One thing which really sucked about Quantum was the shoe-horned in 'corperations are bad mkay and US intelligence is corrupt'. I found myself tutting like a Daily Mail reader.

I watched it after Couscous, which is a rather odd and in a round-about way quite heart-warming French film. Some early scenes drag a bit, but its worth sticking with it as it becomes this weird, existential version of faulty towers, and literally climaxes with the most erotic belly-dancing scene you will ever see!!! :heart:

6/10 and 7/10

probably not the best double bill ever

if you do want a good double bill, try this for size

death wish & robocop

its a hoot!

if you do want a good double bill, try this for size

death wish & robocop

its a hoot!

I love Robocop. Clarence Boddicker is a genius, 'b*cthes leave'. Makes me smile everytime.

Edited by Julian H. Cope
Can't even say b*itches...bloody c u n t s.