What films are you watching?

Pancake

Village of the Damned.

I like a bit of John Carpenter,me. And this one has Christopher Reeve and Mark Hammill in it! A whole town (seemingly the same town as in The Fog) passes out cold. When they wake, all the women are pregnant with evil alien kids who kill.

It's got all the classic Carpenter hallmarks; flamboyant over-acting, unknown terror, spasmodic violence, state-of-the-nation subtext. Probably not his best, but a winning formula.

Much, much better than the other 'evil blank-faced children' film I saw recently, The Children. Britain's finest TV advert actors get their plummy faces hacked off by their heartless, vomiting spawn. Much worse than it sounds.

Lots of remakes due next couple of years, The Birds, Childs Play, Nightmare on Elm Street and more :(

Hmm does seem like everyone is jumping on the remake bandwagon.

Its a way of making quick bucks as the 'yoof' of today will not have bothered watching these films before now. Or I've just watched too many films in my lifetime!

Hmm does seem like everyone is jumping on the remake bandwagon.

Its a way of making quick bucks as the 'yoof' of today will not have bothered watching these films before now. Or I've just watched too many films in my lifetime!

You can never watch too many films.

Continuing my theme of watching films I haven't seen for years, I managed to get The Mechanic, from Play.com for £2.99, probably one of Michael Winner's better films, starring Charles Bronson, and Jan-Michael Vincent in his first major film debut.

Have just watched "Last of the Mohicans" (Daniel Day Lewis) again. Forgot what a brilliant film this is. Superb direction by Micheal Mann, great attention to detail and excellent performances all round, esp DDL, Wes Studi and Madeline Stowe (....hmmmmm). Magnificent soundtrack as well.

I watched 'Taxi Driver' this morning in bed.

It's got to be one of the greatest films ever made and it has some fantastic quotes.

Featuring the most celebrated quote in the history of cinema, a line that was improvised on the spot by DeNiro.

Plus the amazing 'pussy and a .45 scene' with Scorsese playing Travis's inner demon.

The making of it sounded nuts, all of them strung out on coke, unable to work out if the events going on around them were part of the film or real nasty stuff going down for real.

There's a funny episode of American Dad where they travel back in time and try to get Scorsese off the coke, DeNiro walks off the set and so they re-cast John Wayne as Travis. As a result, no one goes to see the film, the guy who shot Regean doesn't get obsessed with Jody Foster and shoot Regean, who in turn loses the election and the Soviet Union invade the US. Remember kids, some times, for the good of humanity, you've got to do drugs.

Taken - 2.5/5.9 - Mindless shallow entertainment, watchable but nothing special.

Benjamin Button - 1/2 - Saw the first half, fell asleep and can't be arsed to watch the rest. Forrest Gump but backwards.

The Sting - 4.5/5.4 - Not seen in a while until last night. Really good fun.

Watched Last Exit To Brooklyn last night. Was so depressed afterwards I needed to watch something life affirming so I turned to Governor Schwarzenegger and Predator which I had miraculously Sky plussed whilst ****ed the other night. Massive, steroid filled men in the jungle - ahh yesss.

Bill Duke has the best line - other than his rendition of "Long Tall Sally" you have the classic:

"You're ghosting us, motherf***er! I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that?"

Saw the new Star Trek film this afternoon; creates a time paradox in the first five minutes and then blindly carries on regardless - very much in the spirit of the original series, and bl00dy good fun. :):):)

Just spoke to a relative who is quite a Star Trek fan of the old school, so to speak. He went with his son, almost determined not to enjoy it [he said] because it was supposed to be not like Star Trek. He came out of the cinema almost completely won over. I said I might pop to the cinema to watch it, as he'd given it such a good review, and he said, I'll come with ya..! :)

Obviously, high praise.

a strange triple bill for me today.

My Name is Bruce, enjoyable but i ahd hoped for more from "The Chin"

Idiocracy - started well, tailed off a bit towards the end. worth a watch though.

Picnic at Hanging Rock - fantastic film, so unnerving. the look of the film is amazing, almost dreamlike, and the cinematography is excellent.

Idiocracy - started well, tailed off a bit towards the end. worth a watch though.

Picnic at Hanging Rock - fantastic film, so unnerving. the look of the film is amazing, almost dreamlike, and the cinematography is excellent.

strange triple bills rock, i had proper flu a will ago and in a fevered haze watched cannibal holocaust, the last temptation of christ and iron man. and they all made perfect sense (man goes into the wilderness, man gets messed up, man kicks arse).

i've watched a scanner darkly a couple of time recently, finally understand what's going on and fell strangely under-whelmed. its got cult-classic written all over it and has some sublime moments of writing and film-making, but it somehow adds up to less than the sum of its parts.

i kind of loved 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, as much as you can love a gritty fly-on-the-wall portrayal of an illegal abortion in communist-era Romania. but the portrayal of the lead character hooked me from the very start, someone trying to do a good thing in a very bad place. and the abortionist is one of the greatest 'villains' in recent years, veering from chalming, to passive-agressive to utter khunt in a completely believable way. in a sense, its a properly terrifying body-horror film, which barely has a drop of blood in it, and makes its location look like the scariest place on earth. if you've got an open mind to cinema, rent it, put the popcorn on, invite your mates round and enjoy :)

Ooh, I love that one. There's some crazy atmosphere going on there that's almost more important than the story. I was reminded of it when I watched The New World, which has a similar 'approaching the place of creation' air about it.

strange triple bills rock, i had proper flu a will ago and in a fevered haze watched cannibal holocaust, the last temptation of christ and iron man. and they all made perfect sense (man goes into the wilderness, man gets messed up, man kicks arse).

i've watched a scanner darkly a couple of time recently, finally understand what's going on and fell strangely under-whelmed. its got cult-classic written all over it and has some sublime moments of writing and film-making, but it somehow adds up to less than the sum of its parts.

i kind of loved 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, as much as you can love a gritty fly-on-the-wall portrayal of an illegal abortion in communist-era Romania. but the portrayal of the lead character hooked me from the very start, someone trying to do a good thing in a very bad place. and the abortionist is one of the greatest 'villains' in recent years, veering from chalming, to passive-agressive to utter khunt in a completely believable way. in a sense, its a properly terrifying body-horror film, which barely has a drop of blood in it, and makes its location look like the scariest place on earth. if you've got an open mind to cinema, rent it, put the popcorn on, invite your mates round and enjoy :)

I watched this a couple of weeks ago and I agree with your comments. Well worth seeing.

Great film, all about the atmosphere conjured up, very ethereal.

Finally got round to seeing Star Trek last night and was completely blown away from start to finish,very well done and the whole time travel aspect of it isn't half as confusing or lame as what it could have been. Even tempted to see it again I enjoyed it that much.

Watched The Running Man the other day too,must be about 10 years since I last saw it and still loved it,some of the one-liners are pure genius,made me want to re-watch a few more classic Arnie films.

I saw 'Awaydays' last weekend. The film is publicised as being about the Tranmere Rovers firm in 1979, but the Football hooligan element is a very small part of the story. Whilst they've done a great job with making the film look like it was shot in '79, and they've selected some good new wave music for the soundtrack, this can't save the film from being nothing short of dreadful. A very weak story with shallow characters, bad acting, and some terrible accents. Avoid at all costs!

Watched The Running Man the other day too,must be about 10 years since I last saw it and still loved it,some of the one-liners are pure genius,made me want to re-watch a few more classic Arnie films.

I watched this the other day, thought it was complete dog****. Not a film, but I'm working my way through series 1 of The Wire, utterly immense so far.

I watched this the other day' date=' thought it was complete dog****. [b']Not a film, but I'm working my way through series 1 of The Wire, utterly immense so far.[/b]

Yes mate, The Wire is utterly sublime and gets better with each series.

On a TV/DVD theme, I'm re-watching Aeon Flux, the incredibly weird and wonderful MTV animated series, back when MTV actually played music videos and commissioned young animators to make down-right mind-bending television to show late at night. Endlessly inventive, ludicrously complex, ultra-violent and hilariously funny, its one of the greatest animated series ever. Avoid the live action film AT ALL COST!!!

Watched 12 Rounds the other night. Switched my brain off and watched John Cena gurn his way through what was effectively a remake of Die Hard With A Vengeance. Aiden Gillen played what I resumed was an Ulster terrorist, and incredibly the Irish born actor, who talks with a pronounced Irish accent, had one of the worst N.Iriland lilts I have ever heard. That said I enjoyed it, it was big dumb fun, nice to see Tavon off of the Shield as his partner.

Also watched Paul Blart - Mall Cop. Was an inoffensive family comedy really. Could have done with some more zing, but I couldn't bring myself to completely dislike it.

Finally, last night I watched the special edition DVD of Arnie's Commando, for the first time. Having had to put up with a VHS copy as I never had the u**** version on DVD, I was in heaven. "Let of some steam, Bennett"

(Rec)

The script is incredibly functional, almost to the point that it feels like you're watching somebody playing a video game (search X's apartment and find the key for the re-inforced door in the cellar, avoiding the zombie granny in the hallway/ zombie Y has the keys for the hand-cuffs in his pocket, kill him and use them to release Z before she gets bitten). Stylistically, it uses the same 'point of view' trick as Cloverfield, Blair Witch, Cannibal Hollocaust, as a camera man and female presenter become trapped inside an apartment block rife with zombies and a variety of soon-to-be-zombies. It shouldn't work for a number of reasons, but it's absolutely stonking, gripping you from the first scene right up to its crazy Rubber Johnny-inspired night-vision ending. The acting is very naturalistic and it shocks you in ways you really don't expect to be shocked. When the boss zombie turns up at the end, my girlfriend actually screamed :D Spainish cinema can do no wrong at the moment, Rec is another great example of how its leaving hollywood trailing in its wake.

8/10

(Rec)

The script is incredibly functional, almost to the point that it feels like you're watching somebody playing a video game (search X's apartment and find the key for the re-inforced door in the cellar, avoiding the zombie granny in the hallway/ zombie Y has the keys for the hand-cuffs in his pocket, kill him and use them to release Z before she gets bitten). Stylistically, it uses the same 'point of view' trick as Cloverfield, Blair Witch, Cannibal Hollocaust, as a camera man and female presenter become trapped inside an apartment block rife with zombies and a variety of soon-to-be-zombies. It shouldn't work for a number of reasons, but it's absolutely stonking, gripping you from the first scene right up to its crazy Rubber Johnny-inspired night-vision ending. The acting is very naturalistic and it shocks you in ways you really don't expect to be shocked. When the boss zombie turns up at the end, my girlfriend actually screamed :D Spainish cinema can do no wrong at the moment, Rec is another great example of how its leaving hollywood trailing in its wake.

8/10

this film is ace.

i watched Unearthed yesterday. it has some bird from Saw 4, and Luke Goss in it. not quite as ace.

(Rec)

8/10

Agreed.

Last night I watched "The Express: The Ernie Davis Story", which I thought was good, although perhaps could have given more time to his sophomore and junior seasons with Syracuse, despite the fact that '59 was the National Championship season.

A real life story filled with a different range of a emotions, though, and the film might make it available to a wider audience.

La Antena - Argentinian fairy-tale/parable about the evils of totalitarianism. The people of a town have had their voices stolen and only the the mysterious The Voice can restore them. Beautifully stylised after the fashion of flickery silent-era fantasy films and quite lovely to watch, although The Message is rather rammed home.

Watched "Dean Spanley" last night. Very interesting film set just after the Boer War, involving reincarnation and the Dean, who was a dog in a previous life but only remembers it after drinking Tokay! Very good performances from Peter O`Toole, Sam Neill, and Jeremy Northam. Different but well worth a watch

Watched the new terminator and star trek today, thought star trek was very good, hopefully there will be more of the same, also terminator was ok, not amazing but worth a gander, some good action scenes but thought the storyline was a bit hashed together. The T-800 is the spit of arnie too.

• 2 weeks later...

Transformers 2 - 1/5. Really horrible. Dragged along to cinema by my son. If you hated the first one you're really going to hate this...all two and half unnecessary hours of it. Epitome of bad Hollywood - plotless, cheesy, charmless and reliant on computer effects. But we knew that. It was just so mindnumbingly boring.

Gets the 1 rating solely for Megan Fox and the part where I LOLed at the Constructicon robot with a pair of wrecking balls for b0ll0cks.

Transformers 2 - 1/5. Really horrible. Dragged along to cinema by my son. If you hated the first one you're really going to hate this...all two and half unnecessary hours of it. Epitome of bad Hollywood - plotless, cheesy, charmless and reliant on computer effects. But we knew that. It was just so mindnumbingly boring.

Gets the 1 rating solely for Megan Fox and the part where I LOLed at the Constructicon robot with a pair of wrecking balls for b0ll0cks.

Thanks for the warning, I'll steer clear. I only watched the first film a couple of months ago because a friend said it was amazing... I'll never trust their judgement of anything again. I thought it was sh1t. Megan Fox, or not. If you'r saying the second one is worse than the first then that's a good enough reason not to go.

The last two films I've been to see have been dreadful (Away Days & Terminator salvation). You could have just spared me a hatrick of **** films. Thanks!

Ghost Town with the missus last night. I liked it, and that says a lot for what is essentially a RomCom. Gervais plays a miserable bloke from Reading to perfection.

Year One with my daughter this afternoon. Some good laughs but don't expect anything too thought-provoking.

Thanks for the warning, I'll steer clear. I only watched the first film a couple of months ago because a friend said it was amazing... I'll never trust their judgement of anything again. I thought it was sh1t. Megan Fox, or not. If you'r saying the second one is worse than the first then that's a good enough reason not to go.

The last two films I've been to see have been dreadful (Away Days & Terminator salvation). You could have just spared me a hatrick of **** films. Thanks!

Don't go unless you have to make a dustbin lid happy. (And try to convince them to see something else too.)

Just seen Tropic Thunder. Saved by fine performance by Robert Downey Jnr and a few early funny bits, but ran out of steam halfway through. 2.5/5

Saw Public Enemies last night and have to say it was an excellent film! Brilliant performances from Depp and Bale, although it was a fairly slow film, this was something that enhanced it, interspersed by shoot-outs and Dillinger escaping from jail.

Quite emotional aswell with the final scene and Dillinger's girlfriend. Would very much recommend it.

8.5/10

Yes mate, The Wire is utterly sublime and gets better with each series.
It better not, I just finished series three. If it gets much better my boxer elastic won't take the strain.