What films are you watching?

Pancake

Heat- First time I'd seen it, twas super duper

The Country Girl- I prefer Bing Crosby being all sunshine and rainbows and Grace Kelly to go for it a bit more but still a cracking film.

High Noon- Funky ass Western, I'd read so much about it before watching it, more to do with its politics than anything. The writer got blacklisted after making it because John Wayne and some other jerks considered it un-American. I didn't really get that but it has aged quite well and it has a smashing theme tune which pops up throughout the movie to remind of the rather simple plot.

I'd recommend all three wholeheartedly :)

Dogville - Good film with surprisingly nuanced performances from actors I've never rated, Nicole Kidman and Paul Bettany. The odd look of the film (shot entirely in an open, empty studio) is weirdly affecting, particularly given the theme of secrecy. Von Trier should lighten up though, maybe do a musical... oh.

I watched Mel Gibson's Apocalypto lastnight. There really isn't any plot (Hunter gets captured by Mayans and escapes to run back to his pregnant wife - that's it) but it's an enjoyable film. The locations are beautiful and the sets and costumes of the Mayan city are visually stunning. Some good action scenes (you could argue the whole film is just one big action scene) but I would have prefered a bit more in the way of a plot. I thought the ending was a bit naf as well. But if you switch your brain off you'll enjoy it for what it is - a historical (probably not very accurate) action film.

7/10.

Project Grizzly

If you wanted a double bill of documentaries about strangely effeminate nut-jobs that spend their time hanging around with grizzly bears then this would set you up nicely for the much meatier and affecting Grizzly Man. Project Grizzly is the slight and silly tale of a guy building himself a bear-proof suit so he can go and wrestle with bears. He never gets to live out this dream but their are laughs to be had watching him getting repeatedly run-over, thrown off mountains and hit in the face with logs in order to test the strength of his robocop-like suit. Heart-warming, in so much as you just know if it wasn't for this crazy scheme, he would most likely be killing strangers and making a suit out of their skin.

Tropic Thunder

It’s a rambling half-baked mess that flirts with being the worst film ever made but somehow ends up being a slightly more annoying version of Speilberg's '1941'. Most of the laughs are in the fake ads and trailers at the start and Tom Cruise's potty mouth ranting - although his 'fat white guy dancing like a black guy' is the absolute opposite of funny. It makes Zoolander look like a masterpiece.

Project Grizzly

If you wanted a double bill of documentaries about strangely effeminate nut-jobs that spend their time hanging around with grizzly bears then this would set you up nicely for the much meatier and affecting Grizzly Man. Project Grizzly is the slight and silly tale of a guy building himself a bear-proof suit so he can go and wrestle with bears. He never gets to live out this dream but their are laughs to be had watching him getting repeatedly run-over, thrown off mountains and hit in the face with logs in order to test the strength of his robocop-like suit. Heart-warming, in so much as you just know if it wasn't for this crazy scheme, he would most likely be killing strangers and making a suit out of their skin.

Still can't decide if Grizzly Man is just an amazing hoax. The family and friends in the film are just ****ing weird - too weird in fact.

Either way it's a fantastic film. Mr Chocolate indeed. Lunacy.

Project Grizzly

On a similar theme, I recently saw Into The Wild. Thoroughly self-obsessed rich kid flicks two fingers at everyone who cares about him and disappears into the wilderness to 'find himself'. The scenery is beautiful, but you can't get around the fact the film is all about this one guy, who's a complete d1ck and spends far too long realising he's not the only person in the world who ever, like, felt anything maaaan. Don't watch this film.

On a similar theme, I recently saw Into The Wild. Thoroughly self-obsessed rich kid flicks two fingers at everyone who cares about him and disappears into the wilderness to 'find himself'. The scenery is beautiful, but you can't get around the fact the film is all about this one guy, who's a complete d1ck and spends far too long realising he's not the only person in the world who ever, like, felt anything maaaan. Don't watch this film.

Just goes to show how subjective these things are. I thought that was an excellent film.

Not films, but I cant start threads.

Michael McCintyre - Live and Laughing.

Watched it 3 times since christmas. Absolute gold. His eccentricity is so addictive. Plays the characters in his jokes very convincingly. Favourite joke: The man draw or guy overtaking tractor.

10/10

Frankie Boyle Live.

Starts slowly and doesnt vary his insults enough (over uses the word c**t). I really like his edgey side though, which isnt for everyone. His punchline delivery is good. Favourite joke: Lewis Hamilton's brother.

6/10

Sean Lock Live.

Again, doesnt get off to a quick start in my opinion, and often drags out his jokes longer than necessary. But his style of absurdist comedy is very funny, and never predictable (unless youve seen him on live at the apollo. Some jokes are repeated). Favourite joke: Wizard of Oz.

7/10

Yep - spot on. Truly awful film. I had the misfortune of reading the book (on recommendation) and STILL watched the film. Both were dreadful. And any film that has Eddie Vedder involved will always be sh1t.

American Gangster - not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Not great though.

Not films, but I cant start threads.

Michael McCintyre - Live and Laughing.

Watched it 3 times since christmas. Absolute gold. His eccentricity is so addictive. Plays the characters in his jokes very convincingly. Favourite joke: The man draw or guy overtaking tractor.

Have ordered that this morning along with:

Return of the Living Dead 1 & 2

Donkey Punch

Trailer Park of Terror

Xmas Evil

Last night I watched:

Brain Dead - the one with the Meteors

Puppet Master: The Legacy

Edited by Master Bates

I watched Planet Terror last night. An amazing film. Robert Rodriguez's half of the Grindhouse project. I enjoyed Death Proof as well, and reckon if the studio bosses had allowed the project to be fully realised it would have made quite an awesome whole.

Like, damn the greedheads, dude.

Eden Lake- MASSIVELY disturbing.

Pretty decent though 7/10

Iv'e just finished watching it.

Damn fine film if not just a little too close to comfort of what society is becoming like IMO.

The girl in the gang was recently in a film called "mum and Dad" i think now that is one sick puppy of a film.

Edited by saint lard

Damn fine film if not just a little too close to comfort of what society is becoming like IMO.

The girl in the gang was recently in a film called "mum and Dad" now that is one sick puppy of a film.

Well thank you, just looked it up and seems cool, I will be purchasing that at the weekend.

I watched Funny Games U.S on Film4 the other night.

Was pretty good acting, though the story was pretty weak and the fourth wall breaking was didn't feel smart at all, mainly tacked on to make the film more "arty".

Ec-70W_K77U&autoplay=0

This should be on a 'coming soon' type thread but as I can't start new ones, I've put it here…

The 3D Tin-Tin film being made by Speilberg is starting to look pretty tasty. Jamie Bell is Tin Tin, Andy Serkis (golum/king kong/martin hannett) is Captin Haddock and Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are the Thompsons. Its being written by Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish.

Obviously the Hollywood money men will have their grubby mits all over it but it has the potential for being a quality blockbuster.

The girl in the gang was recently in a film called "mum and Dad" now that is one sick puppy of a film.

not seen mum and dad, but shall give it a whirl then

Eden Lake was good, the women we watched it with liked it less so though!

Days of Heaven - Fire! Fire! Burning! Hellfire! (pretty frogs) Plague of Locusts!

10/10

The music is stunning and Richard Gere isn't sh1t! That Mallack is a miracle worker.

I was thinking about this last night, time to give it another watch.

Who is it on here who has an obsession with 2001 - A Space Odyssey..? Well I watched it again last night. I enjoyed almost as much as when I saw it at the cinema back in the late 60's. Utterly superb film. So special, it almost makes its own genre.

That’s me! There really aren't many films that can match its ambition and scope. In my eyes this film is a bone-dry (pun intended) sex comedy on human evolution, made by aliens. And the special effects still look better than 99.9% of cgi. There was a great quote from a film critic something along the lines of 'when I watched the moon landings I remember thinking it didn't look as realistic as 2001'. Make of that what you will...

Perfume: Story of a Murderer

It’s a serial killer film with several differences; its set in Paris in 1766, a string of sexy ladiez are killed to be distilled into essential oils in order to create the ultimte perfume, and its as dull as dish water. It bares all the scars of a book-to-film adaptation; too much annoying voice over, too much plot crammed in; and the unshakable feeling that you really should be reading the book instead.

Everyone speaks in mockney accents, apart from Dustin Hoffman whose having a 'Allo 'Allo flashback.

There's a nice moment at the end when the serial killer, about to be executed, unleashes his ultimate perfume and turns a crowd baying for his blood into a thronging, gurning mass of loved-up sex monkeys, but all in all, what ever made the book great got lost in translation.

Made an effort to go to bed early the other night, but made the mistake of flicking through the odd channel or two. Then something caught my eye. What was about 20 minutes in, but Executive Decision [sometimes unaccountably called Critical Decision]. I have this film on DiVX disc, and in good quality, yet I plumped up the cushions and settled down to it again. What is it about this bloody film..? It's utter crap, but I love it. And I suspect plenty of others feel exactly the same as I do. If I wasn't working I could watch it again right now and be thoroughly entertained. :)

I too watched Funny Games on Film4 a couple of weeks ago. As Bentley mentioned breaking the fourth wall got me thinking. Whilst many other people will just think its a weird film.

I've not seen the US version yet but when when Paul turns around and winks at the camera in the original version, it sent a shiver down my spine. The remote control bit seemed to go a bit too far but by then i was utterly hooked.

Have you seen Cache (Hidden), also by Michael Haneke? Its about a family being secretly filmed by a mysterious other. There's a moment when you briefly see the shadow of a big movie camera, suggesting it is the director himself who is terrorising the his characters. He loves breaking down the forth wall (as well as torturing his guilt-ridden middle-class audiences).