What films are you watching?

Pancake

Anything by David Lynch - they're all great and can be watched over and over, always giving me something new.

You sir, are the $hit!

One of the most fun parts of my film MA was writing about his trilogy of death-fantasy films - Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive & Inland Empire - all of which (as you point out) get better and better with each viewing. And then for my presentation/seminar thing, I got the group to try to read the first ten minutes in Inland Empire, which still makes me laugh (I know I'm sad, what of it).

I watched all of Twin Peaks last Xmas/New Year, including the absolutely enormous second season. Leland Palmer's death scene is one of Lynch's best ever moments and probably the most moving thing I've ever seen on the small screen. And he's a great actor too!

Just watched In The Loop

Brilliant political satire from the team that brought us The Thick Of It, which will make you laugh til it hurts. Some of the best improvised comedy you will ever see, but at the same time it is actually quite scary because the 'headless chicken' image it portrays of the UK and US governments is so believable. I watched the extras after the film and in an interview with the director (Armando Ianucci of The Day Today fame) he admitted that most of the storyline was based on real research and observations of government ministers' activities.

Sharply observed and brilliantly scripted. The funniest film I have watched in a long, long time.

9/10

Just watched In The Loop

Brilliant political satire from the team that brought us The Thick Of It, which will make you laugh til it hurts. Some of the best improvised comedy you will ever see, but at the same time it is actually quite scary because the 'headless chicken' image it portrays of the UK and US governments is so believable. I watched the extras after the film and in an interview with the director (Armando Ianucci of The Day Today fame) he admitted that most of the storyline was based on real research and observations of government ministers' activities.

Sharply observed and brilliantly scripted. The funniest film I have watched in a long, long time.

9/10

i am yet to get round to seeing this, but love anything ianucci touches.

Just watched District 9

I admit, i hadn't heard anything about it, saw an advert on a website and seeing as it was directed by peter jackson i thought why not. And tbh, i am glad i did. Worth watching.

Review

An original and interesting concept.. It's got some good action and sci-fi parts but, the story is what makes this a memorable movie.. Peter Jackson mixed a lot of different styles into one movie (Cloverfield, Doom, Independence Day come to mind..). This movie was nothing like the previews made it out to be. There were various undertones of the "bad or ignorant" judgements past governments have made when it comes to an uknown entity (A round up into concentration camps for example). The worse part is that if Aliens really did come here like the situation in the movie the governments of the world would treat them like that..

(not my words but i couldn't put it any better myself in all honestly)

8/10

Just watched District 9

I admit, i hadn't heard anything about it, saw an advert on a website and seeing as it was directed by peter jackson i thought why not. And tbh, i am glad i did. Worth watching.

Review

An original and interesting concept.. It's got some good action and sci-fi parts but, the story is what makes this a memorable movie.. Peter Jackson mixed a lot of different styles into one movie (Cloverfield, Doom, Independence Day come to mind..). This movie was nothing like the previews made it out to be. There were various undertones of the "bad or ignorant" judgements past governments have made when it comes to an uknown entity (A round up into concentration camps for example). The worse part is that if Aliens really did come here like the situation in the movie the governments of the world would treat them like that..

(not my words but i couldn't put it any better myself in all honestly)

8/10

Awesome, got that too look forward to.

Might watch Bruno again to put me in the frame of mind (seriously, I love that film... outrageously, errr, outrageous.)

Saw Inglorious Basterds the other day,can't recall many other times I've came away from the cinema so disappointed.Pretentious,boring gaff from Tarantino still managing to make money at the box office from the reputations of former glories. 5/10 for me.

Watched V for Vendetta last night,exceeded all my expectations and wasn't hard to imagine a facist ruled Britain like the one depicted in the film,slightly reminiscent of the bnp. The ending was a bit cheesy from the moment the army of V's go on the march,quite fun though. 7/10

Edited by bpsaint

I keep watching the first 20 minutes of films and getting interrupted. The latest one is The Lives OF Others which, I understand is f****** brilliant, but until I get in the mood to watch it again, I won't know. Pan's Labyrinth is suffering the same deal with me. Managed to watch the old italian film, The Bicycle Thieves right through, the other night, after having had the DVD for ages. Almost wished I hadn't as it's so melancholy and tragic, and in such a pathetic way. And there's no Hollywood style pay off at the end. Instead, it's grimly realistic in the European tradition.

Yes, I grizzled. :smt022

I went to see Orphan at the cinema lastnight.

I won't go into detail because I don't want to give too much away for anybody that wants to see it, but the basic premise is about a woman whose 3rd child dies in the womb so she and her husband decide to adopt, and the girl they end up adopting turns out to be... well, I won't give it away.

It's pretty predictable in places with plenty of horror/thriller film cliches. Far too many of those stupid false-suspense moments for my liking. But the story is at least a little different from most and some of the scenes are pretty gruesome - not for the faint-hearted. Some really good acting as well.

Worth watching but wait for the DVD rather than forking out for a cinema ticket.

6.5/10

I keep watching the first 20 minutes of films and getting interrupted. The latest one is The Lives OF Others which, I understand is f****** brilliant, but until I get in the mood to watch it again, I won't know. Pan's Labyrinth is suffering the same deal with me. Managed to watch the old italian film, The Bicycle Thieves right through, the other night, after having had the DVD for ages. Almost wished I hadn't as it's so melancholy and tragic, and in such a pathetic way. And there's no Hollywood style pay off at the end. Instead, it's grimly realistic in the European tradition.

Yes, I grizzled. :smt022

Lives of Others and Pans Labyrinth are two of the finest films of modern times. Stay with them!!

Last night I watched The Hurt Locker, which was following a US bomb demolition squad coming to the end of their tour of duty in Iraq. Was made exceptionally well and brought home the realism and impending danger that they and the rest of the soldiers out there were all in.

Highly recommended, especially if you liked The Kingdom and Black Hawk Down.

8.5/10

Not a film, but recently started re-watching 15 Storeys High, and I can't believe I was away for so long. When it was first aired I wasn't able to completely grasp the dark edge to the comedy due to being 11, but now I can appreciate it for the genius that it really is. Sean Lock is a quite capable comedy actor it seems, as well as being a great stand-up, and Benedict Wong plays perfectly off Lock's brash, abrasive character in a very 'Withnail and I' style.

"She's got the fish-slice stuck in the wrong way round.....jesus christ."

Got Sky Movies a couple of weeks ago... so quite alot of reviews as I have had holiday time and been gorging on movies. I will only rate out of 10, without going into further details.

Eastern Promises - 8/10

In Bruges - 8/10

Big Lebowski - 9/10

There Will Be Blood - 7/10 (10/10 for Daniel Day Lewis' performance as Daniel, but the movie definitely had some scenes which were desperately calling out for an editor)

Big Country - 7/10

Superhero Movie - 2/10

Meet the Spartans - 0/10

No Country for Old Men - 9/10

Iron Man - 7/10

Spiderman 3 - 4/10

Mr Wood**** - 6/10 (much better than I was expecting)

Hitman - 5/10

Never Back Down - 5/10

Semi-Pro - 3/10

Chaplin - 7/10

The Krays - 3/10

Death Proof - 4/10

... annnnd that's about it.

Last night I watched The Hurt Locker, which was following a US bomb demolition squad coming to the end of their tour of duty in Iraq. Was made exceptionally well and brought home the realism and impending danger that they and the rest of the soldiers out there were all in.

Highly recommended, especially if you liked The Kingdom and Black Hawk Down.

8.5/10

I went to see this yesterday and I totaly agree. A superbly produced film that really highlights both the stresses that the coalition forces faced and the total futility of fighting an unseen enemy.

It's not really an action film. There is some action but it's much more of a drama focusing on the relationships between the guys in the squad and their different backgrounds and attitudes they have towards the conflict.

Very highly recommended

9/10

Watched the Time Traveller's Wife yesterday afternoon at the cinema. This won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed it! I didn't originally want to see it as it wasn't a comedy, nor a thriller, nor action, nothing really as it's just billed as a "drama". However I got, er, persuaded to see it ... glad I did now.

It did almost make my eyes damp with sadness and I'm pretty certain there will be a follow up film (don't think there is a follow up book?). Not having read the book, not sure how true it was to the author's intentions, but worth watching (with your other half).

7/10

Also watched The Damned United on Bluray - cracking film, opened my eyes to Clough and the other legends of the time, that being born in 1976 I don't remember!!

8/10

Let The Right One In. Another superb European (Swedish) Horror.

This is one of my favourite films of the year. The book is very, very dark.

Managed to stay awake through American Gangster last night. It's long at well over 2hrs, but it didn't seem that long. A good old fashioned cops v robbers film. Denzil Washington plays the part of the heroin magnate Frank Lucas in a way that you wouldn't normally expect; ferocious and menacing and totaly in charge of his empire, until his missus bought him a fur coat and then it all falls apart....Fur is murder after all....

Watched recently:

The Big Lebowski (again): one of my favourite films - superb. 10/10

Che 1 and 2: generally meh. I do wish someone would make a movie about what a useless evil murderous b*stard he was. Both: 5/10

Happiness: great dark humour film but will certainly be offensive to those who don't get it. 7/10

Beavis & Butthead Do America: Brilliant stuff. 10/10

Che 1 and 2: generally meh. I do wish someone would make a movie about what a useless evil murderous b*stard he was. Both: 5/10

I loved Che Part I - was a superb film, very very well acted, Benicio del Toro is awesome!

I'd give that film a 9/10.

Che Part II however, went on too long, lacked the zing of the first one and ended up being just like any other war film - 5/10

Happiness: great dark humour film but will certainly be offensive to those who don't get it. 7/10

I found myself watching the opening scene in the restaurant on youtube the other day, its brilliant/hilarious/heart-breaking and almost unbearable to watch all at once, like the film itself. The strange thing about it, considering just how hard-core the subject matter is, is that when I watch it with other people, the scene that has them crying out in horror is the sex scene between the old folk. This is seems to offend people more than the paedogedden scenes or the cum/dog/mum climax.

I watched Sunshine again the other day which captures what's wrong with several of Danny Boyle's films more recent films. Like The Beach and 28 Days Later, Sunshine is a film about people going on an epic journey, and they all work really well up to the point they reach their destination. And then its almost like they don't know what to do next. Sunshine is basically a rather silly but gripping tale of people going nuts in deep space, but then it turns into a ludicrous slasher film, which aims for Solaris + Alien but ends up as Event Horizon which delusions of grandeur (not a good place to be). But it looks good, it's devoid of all the clichéd 'back at mission control' scenes, and Cillian Murphy is red hawt (in a healthy man-love kinda way). 6/10

As well as the excellent District 9 i also watched The Hurt Locker last night. Brilliantly dynamic stuff from Kathryn Bigelow, easily her best work beating Point Break and Near Dark into touch. Outstanding performance from the lead, who should get a nod from the academy for his role. Very tense from the outset, outstanding cinematography and just an all round stonking film. Five stars, no doubt about it.

Just watched In The Loop

9/10

#

Just watched this.

Brilliant.

I love the Malcolm Tucker character; obviously based on Alistair Campbell!

I watched Gomorrah last night, a very gritty portrayal of life in the mafia which makes The Soprano's look like Beverly Hills 90210. Its low-budget realist cinema with a strong documentary feel, no background music, no happy endings and no illusion that violence is cool or glamorous. It does have the odd flash of surreal humour which helps to lighten the load. It reminded me of The Wire and '4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days', both of which are highly recommended.

Plus...

The word on the new Bad Lieutenant film with Nic Cage is that its utterly insane and well worth a squirt! Hurrah!

I watched all of Twin Peaks last Xmas/New Year, including the absolutely enormous second season. Leland Palmer's death scene is one of Lynch's best ever moments and probably the most moving thing I've ever seen on the small screen. And he's a great actor too!

A TV masterpiece, such a shame they were unable to have it finished.

Just seen Away We Go, the new Sam Mendes movie.

Really puzzled by the good reviews it's getting. It seemed to drag on forever, with the occasional laugh, but was surprised to find its running time was a little over an hour and a half.

Horrible, schmaltzy, but unexplained ending too, which I'm tempted to ruin - except that that would be extremely difficult.

A TV masterpiece, such a shame they were unable to have it finished.

absolutely

the third series where cooper had to escape from hell would have been sweet. as it is, it just sends up with the evil cooper stalking the real world.

although, i get the impression that some of this ended up in Lost Highway, which is fracking amazing.

watched Flavia the Heretic recently, as part of my Nunsploitation-athon. Actually quite a lot better than i thought it would be, some cracking cinematography and an excellent soundtrack bring it above the usual 70s Euro exploitation fare.

The best bit was when a woman climbed inside a cow's carcass, or the horse being castrated.

• 3 weeks later...
I watched "13 Tzameti" last night.

This is one of the most tense thrillers I've ever seen.

It is superbly shot and directed; and the story, although simple will have you on the edge of your seat.

Here's a trailer to whet your appetite:

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2226323737/

Kudos my man, that is such a good film.

And guess what? Hollywood remake is planned for release next year. But on the + side, it will be screen written and directed by Gela Babluani (sp).