An alternative forum for matchdays

Mole

That was the scenario on the old TSF wasn't it and it didn't solve the problem. TBH I'm as f***ed off that the forum's not sorted despite charging members as anyone on here and it's not just because I paid a fiver too. I was under the impression that a paid hosting service would sort all these problems out yet I regularly seem to be apologising for the site going down, which is embarrassing TBH.

That was the scenario on the old TSF wasn't it and it didn't solve the problem. TBH I'm as f***ed off that the forum's not sorted despite charging members as anyone on here and it's not just because I paid a fiver too. I was under the impression that a paid hosting service would sort all these problems out yet I regularly seem to be apologising for the site going down, which is embarrassing TBH.

As a fan of SFC, you should be used to being blamed for everything by now :rolleyes:

I don't wish to hark on (honest!) but TSW has been fine for 6 months and has only gone down hill after a recent switch to another host....hence the question..."what was wrong with the previous host (of TSW, not TSF)"?

I don't wish to hark on (honest!) but TSW has been fine for 6 months and has only gone down hill after a recent switch to another host....hence the question..."what was wrong with the previous host (of TSW, not TSF)"?

Maybe it didn't provide big enough profit margins.:)

We swapped from US hosting to UK hosting.

The obvious answer is that a web forum is not designed for the usage it will get during a match. The server is basically getting DDOS'ed by many people endlessly hitting refresh to read five word posts, lots of which describe the same event. I did point this out to boj when he was attempting to justify the subscription and server move.

Considering the vast majority of a match thread is unlikely to be read again afterwards, it would make far more sense to get people to use a chat room instead during the match. There are various ways to embed/link it within the forum software so opening up the match thread could open up the chat room instead.

I don't buy this anyone but Ponty call, I say no to change until its proved the new man can do better. Better the devil you know, out of the frying pan and into fire and all that. Just because I am questioning change doesn't make me a Ponty Luvvie.

Thanks, but tbh anyone could do better.

The obvious answer is that a web forum is not designed for the usage it will get during a match. The server is basically getting DDOS'ed by many people endlessly hitting refresh to read five word posts, lots of which describe the same event. I did point this out to boj when he was attempting to justify the subscription and server move.

Considering the vast majority of a match thread is unlikely to be read again afterwards, it would make far more sense to get people to use a chat room instead during the match. There are various ways to embed/link it within the forum software so opening up the match thread could open up the chat room instead.

But then how would people post pictures of cakes on the match threads ;)