Should Brighton be investigated for Saturdays game ?

alpine_saint

Seriously.

I havent seen it, but I've picked up on a few comments about just how bad it was.

I know Wham must have been pumped up after Friday's defeat for us, but even that doesnt explain the scoreline, imo.

People can argue that Brighton still had a chance of a play-off place, but how often does 6th place win the playoffs ? Everyone knows how much of a lottery it is, which is why we are so desperate to avoid it.

And quite frankly, I trust Poyet about as far as I can throw him. With my little finger.

If it was thrown, the evidence must be out there somewhere, and if it EVER got traced back to Wham, I would throw them out of the League for good, after the Tevez business.

*cue lunatic comments, because of course it NEVER happens.....*

How can you make such a statement without seeing the game!?

I thought I explained that in my post.

I was inviting a discussion about it, and as per usual its turned into abuse.

Why are we really so reluctant to consider the possibility that we get aggressive ? Are we worried about what it says about the game or the nation ?

Look, there is SERIOUS F**KING MONEY riding on promotion to the PL. Everything else is secondary.

You are mental, and I would be saying that whoever started the thread.

There is no way that Brighton would lose a game on purpose when they are within touching distance of the playoff. No chance.

Yes, I agree that they would have no chance in the playoffs. That's why I wonder if it is possible.

Very amusing.

What makes you so certain ?

Sorry Alpine. I was trying hard not to take the p!ss, as I do enjoy your posts, (really) but this did make me chuckle. I have several mates that watched the game think as you do, that Brighton 'rolled over'. I don't think this happens here, Italy perhaps. Wet Sham were just too good for Gus. Admit the defending was dire.

Sorry Alpine. I was trying hard not to take the p!ss, as I do enjoy your posts, (really) but this did make me chuckle. I have several mates that watched the game think as you do, that Brighton 'rolled over'. I don't think this happens here, Italy perhaps. Wet Sham were just too good for Gus. Admit the defending was dire.

But why ? Seriously ?

The English game is largely foregin-owned with foreign money flowing into it, the players and managers are largely foreign, there is a huge amount of money in foreign TV rights, and imo the FA and PL do not exactly shroud themselves in a mantle of morality nowadays. There was an article in one of the Sundays talking about the UK has sold itself off to foreginers to make money out of the British people - why is this not the case with football ?

Saying "we are English, we do things differently here" isnt for me a good enough argument to discount the possibility.

If you recall Brighton went to crap last 4 games of last season too, probably a bit of a habit like Saints use to go like a train in the Autumn then as January progressed started going off the boil.

We all know from our game down there that Brighton under Poyet are a little nasty and twisted set up (Captain sent off at 3-0 up for stupid forearm smash on Forte in the latter stages!!!!??!!). You go 3-0 up with a team like WHU in the 1st 15, you are very likely going to roger the opposition senseless by full- time.

At the end of the day nothing will be found, especially as the Football league will rejoice in the Windfall from the WHU parachute payment being left behind on promotion.

But why ? Seriously ?

The English game is largely foregin-owned with foreign money flowing into it, the players and managers are largely foreign, there is a huge amount of money in foreign TV rights, and imo the FA and PL do not exactly shroud themselves in a mantle of morality nowadays. There was an article in one of the Sundays talking about the UK has sold itself off to foreginers to make money out of the British people - why is this not the case with football ?

Saying "we are English, we do things differently here" isnt for me a good enough argument to discount the possibility.

Alpine, if I'm honest, I really think you are still in mourning over the Pompey & Reading results and looking for some relief. Could it be, West Ham had at some time come good at home and Brighton just had a really bad night? A non sarcastic reply.

At the end of the day nothing will be found, especially as the Football league will rejoice in the Windfall from the WHU parachute payment being left behind on promotion.

Oh ho. What this about then ?

I assumed that a team that yo-yoed back to the PL within one season simply has the parachute payment terminated and the money stayed with the PL.

Alpine, if I'm honest, I really think you are still in mourning over the Pompey & Reading results and looking for some relief. Could it be, West Ham had at some time come good at home and Brighton just had a really bad night? A non sarcastic reply.

Norm, I appreciate the sensible discussion about it. You might be right, but I could dead-bat that back at you and say that you might have a mental block about considering the possibility seriously, because maybe it strips a whole value set of society away in the process.

Sorry, being an engineer by trade means I find pure coincidence very hard to accept.

Norm, I appreciate the sensible discussion about it. You might be right, but I could dead-bat that back at you and say that you might have a mental block about considering the possibility seriously, because maybe it strips a whole value set of society away in the process.

Sorry, being an engineer by trade means I find pure coincidence very hard to accept.

I think we should ask for oldham last season to be investigated....

I think we should ask for oldham last season to be investigated....

Yep, trust old TDD to drag it down with the moronic "same score" comment. Who were we trying to catch up GD (and therefore the need for an extra point) on ? I think we were already well ahead on GD.

You discuss things like a child arguing in the playground do you know that ? Stupid sarcasm and innuendo.

Bruce Grobbelaar*

* not that I think for one miniute Brighton threw this match but players have been known to do dodgy things for money in this country, even Matty admitted to a doing a bit of a betting scam once.

Bruce Grobbelaar*

* not that I think for one miniute Brighton threw this match but players have been known to do dodgy things for money in this country, even Matty admitted to a doing a bit of a betting scam once.

Indeed. In fact that's not a bad reminder, since it seems that Brightons GK was one of those behaving most erratically on Saturday.

Oh dear. So now Alpine is seeing conspiracy as part of his post defeat meltdowns.....

Do you honestly believe Brighton would harm there own chances of the play-off's just to spite us?

West Ham were just really pumped for the game and Brighton couldn't handle them/bottled it on the day.

Are we supposed to be investigating every heavy defeat in future just because it's an inconvenience to us?

Cast your mind back to 1978 when Saints and Spurs allegedly colluded to achieve a 0-0 draw which meant both sides automatically went up and depriving (on goal difference) guess who. Yep you've guessed it Brighton. I remember it well and there were allegations from B and HA fans that we had deliberately not gone for a win. I saw the game and it was a strange affair because we could have won the title with a victory and yet apart from a Tony Funnell shot which hit a post, we did not look interested. Pay back time?

Oh dear. So now Alpine is seeing conspiracy as part of his post defeat meltdowns.....

Do you honestly believe Brighton would harm there own chances of the play-off's just to spite us?

West Ham were just really pumped for the game and Brighton couldn't handle them/bottled it on the day.

Are we supposed to be investigating every heavy defeat in future just because it's an inconvenience to us?

I have answered this twice already. But for the benefit of the illiterate.........

Yes, it is a possibility, because they would have had NO chance in the playoffs.

Cast your mind back to 1978 when Saints and Spurs allegedly colluded to achieve a 0-0 draw which meant both sides automatically went up and depriving (on goal difference) guess who. Yep you've guessed it Brighton. I remember it well and there were allegations from B and HA fans that we had deliberately not gone for a win. I saw the game and it was a strange affair because we could have won the title with a victory and yet apart from a Tony Funnell shot which hit a post, we did not look interested. Pay back time?[/quote

Hardly the same type of scenario is it? Believe it or not, things which happened 30, 40, 50 years ago don't have much relevance when discussing what happened this weekend.

Cast your mind back to 1978 when Saints and Spurs allegedly colluded to achieve a 0-0 draw which meant both sides automatically went up and depriving (on goal difference) guess who. Yep you've guessed it Brighton. I remember it well and there were allegations from B and HA fans that we had deliberately not gone for a win. I saw the game and it was a strange affair because we could have won the title with a victory and yet apart from a Tony Funnell shot which hit a post, we did not look interested. Pay back time?

a pity such an "uintentional" characteristic did not feature in our game on Friday...

I have answered this twice already. But for the benefit of the illiterate.........

Yes, it is a possibility, because they would have had NO chance in the playoffs.

I bet if we finished 3rd playing Brighton in 6th you would be proclaiming that they would win because of some reason of another.

I bet if we finished 3rd playing Brighton in 6th you would be proclaiming that they would win because of some reason of another.

I have already stated my belief that we have zero chance in the playoffs, for a number of reasons.

If you are asking me who would win if the playoff 1st round was Brighton v Saints, I genuninely think Brighton would win; Poyet would manage to motivate his team for that alright.But Brighton would get hammered in the final.

I love the idea that it was related to that 0-0 match in 1978. I can see Gus's team talk now.

"Right lads, before most of you were born, this club, that as professional footballers most of you have no real emotional attachment to and are only passing through for a short space of time, missed out on promotion to a league that doesn't exist anymore. Some people were quite cross about a scoreline that happened that year. Because of this, I'd like you to go out this afternoon, humiliate yourselves and me, and blow any remaining chance we have of getting a shot at a £40m promotion which would mean huge pay rises for everyone."

Yep, sounds plausible.

I have already stated my belief that we have zero chance in the playoffs, for a number of reasons.

If you are asking me who would win if the playoff 1st round was Brighton v Saints, I genuninely think Brighton would win; Poyet would manage to motivate his team for that alright.But Brighton would get hammered in the final.

No you haven't. You've conveniently brushed a side Brightons pay off chances as it wouldn't have suited your utterly stupid argument.

Oh ho. What this about then ?

I assumed that a team that yo-yoed back to the PL within one season simply has the parachute payment terminated and the money stayed with the PL.

This was pointed our a couple of years ago when we were last in the Championship and pennies were scarce, and there was a tread hoping that 1 or 2 relegated teams were in with a shout of going straight back up as a few ITK who stated this little gem as fact back then. The monies remaining waterfalled down through the leagues. Although seeing as the Parachute is such an obscene amount over 4 years now, a vast percentage probably does go back to the PL.

That's not very like an engineer Alps! They would have a 25% chance of promotion if they got to the playoffs.

You also mention that everything other than money is secondary with regards to promotion, which would surely mean Brighton would need to have been offered more money than they could have stood to make if promoted, no? West Ham are bonkers with their cash, but they aren't that bonkers.

Alpine do you have a PHD in stupidity , Negativity FFS

It was bad enough with us losing on friday , and stayed off line until this morning as I knew what SWF would be like ,

We are having a rough ride at the moment . but I still keep the faith. But with the likes of your crap you have made me very miserable.

Im glad your not sat to me at games . I would not be responsible for my actions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop frigging moaning Alpine and get behind the team these last three games.

Don't be ridiculous. Of course they have a chance in the playoffs, that's why everybody hates the playoffs, it's a lottery most of the time.

For your conspiracy to work, there would need to be quite a number of Brighton players in on it to pull it off. It simply does not add up that a number of Brighton players would prefer a very small windfall to the possible chance of Premier League football and the riches/bonuses/status/salary rises associated with it.

You may feel they have no chance in the playoffs, but the majority of footballers have pretty high self belief, and they will feel that if they get there they can do it.