Should Brighton be investigated for Saturdays game ?

alpine_saint

I am aware this will fan the flames, but I spoke to a Brighton ST holder at work this morning, who went to the game. He said Gus picked the wrong team, packing the midfield and playing one up front. He said as soon as the team was read out, he turned to his mate and said they'd lose. They picked their smallest striker as the loan front man, played someone at right back who had been out with injury for 4 months, where he thought the guy that had been filling in (a loanee) had been playing ok in the meantime. He went on to say that they had no "out ball" as a result as everything kept coming back and that when Brighton fed the ball out to the full backs from the keeper, they were closed down really fast.

He said that, together with the keeper having a mare, gave them little chance.

That's OK then. Just for a minute I thought people were accusing Poyet of not picking his strongest team possible ........ as you are supposed to do as per the Spineless F L

I am aware this will fan the flames, but I spoke to a Brighton ST holder at work this morning, who went to the game. He said Gus picked the wrong team, packing the midfield and playing one up front. He said as soon as the team was read out, he turned to his mate and said they'd lose. They picked their smallest striker as the loan front man, played someone at right back who had been out with injury for 4 months, where he thought the guy that had been filling in (a loanee) had been playing ok in the meantime. He went on to say that they had no "out ball" as a result as everything kept coming back and that when Brighton fed the ball out to the full backs from the keeper, they were closed down really fast.

He said that, together with the keeper having a mare, gave them little chance.

Anyone can look back on a 6-0 hammering and point towards team selection, tatics and individual errors otherwise there would never be any thrashings when teams from within the same division play each other.

Poyetr has also been critised many times this season over odd team selection so this isn't new for him.

Lets not start embarrassing ourselves through sour grapes. What happened happened and now the lads just have to win tomorrow to put us back on track.

FFS.

Edited by Dig Dig

I dont know how the game went because I didnt see it. I will check the answer to the question I am about to ask in a minute.

Question: seeing as how utterly tits up it was going, and taking your post into account, how soon Did Poyet CHANGE the team with substitutions to try to get the game back on the rails and therefore try to save his play offs campaign ?

Answer : He did nothing for over 40mins. Not conclusive, but not exactly exonerating either.....

Brighton will certainly not be investigated for their performance unless there had been unusual betting activity on the match.

Having seen it all I can say(to paraphrase Dolly Parton) is Brezovan must work really hard on being as shîte as he was in the first

11 minutes,you need more than just natural ineptitude to be that bad.

Bart's performance at home against Blackpool was just a non starter on the crapness scale in comparison.

The absolutely ear-steaming outrage that this sheer notion has caused is really quite shocking.

Is there some sort of refusal to consider the possibility because it means we as SFC fans and our clubs have all been made monkeys uncles out of the situation or something ?

Up to 90 MILLION pounds windfall rides on being promoted. If you all want to deny that there is absolutely no chance that with such money at stake someone doesnt try to increase the odds of their interested party, you are totally naiive and bonkers.

The days of cucumber sandwiches on the village pavillion at tea during an Sunday afteroon cricket match in modern-day sport is GONE. Its all about MONEY.

Yes & Brighton still have an outside chance of making the play-offs, and in that 'lottery' may well get promoted.

It may seem unlikely, but stranger things happen quite regularly in footyball.

The very same £90m windfall was not out of reach for Brighton, so for them to throw the game over some over-hyped non-rivalry with us is just ridiculous.

A line of argument with holes bigger than an 80 year old hooker.

The absolutely ear-steaming outrage that this sheer notion has caused is really quite shocking.

Is there some sort of refusal to consider the possibility because it means we as SFC fans and our clubs have all been made monkeys uncles out of the situation or something ?

Its more the fact you've not even watched the game, and make ridiculous statements about the player who scored the own goal doing it on purpose. It just leaves you with no credibility whatsoever. Not that you had anyway in the first place of course.

You say its all about money too, but yet, who would have offered Poyet/the goalkeeper/the player who scored the own goal/the physio/the entire team more money than they would have got if they won promotion anyway? Some random person betting in the Far East? Sam Allardyce? The Mousse from TalkSport? Someone from the FA?

You seem to base it on the fact you distrust Poyet in your OP. As a manager, not sure it would be possible to "motivate" your players to concede 3 goals that quickly, or lose any game at all in fact.

But keep typing Alpine, you are bringing a smile to many very nervous Saints fans in the build up to tomorrow's game.

Yes & Brighton still have an outside chance of making the play-offs, and in that 'lottery' may well get promoted.

It may seem unlikely, but stranger things happen quite regularly in footyball.

The very same £90m windfall was not out of reach for Brighton, so for them to throw the game over some over-hyped non-rivalry with us is just ridiculous.

A line of argument with holes bigger than an 80 year old hooker.

Apart from the fact that you are assuming a collective decision making process involving chairman, manager and all the players.

Dont be so ridiculous.

Brighton will certainly not be investigated for their performance unless there had been unusual betting activity on the match.

Having seen it all I can say(to paraphrase Dolly Parton) is Brezovan must work really hard on being as shîte as he was in the first

11 minutes,you need more than just natural ineptitude to be that bad.

Bart's performance at home against Blackpool was just a non starter on the crapness scale in comparison.

I guess someone must have lined Barts pockets for the Blackpool at home game then?

OK - case for the prosecution

Rumour came out Sat that Poyet is off to Chelsea

3 page thread on North Stand Chat questioning the team he put out including the dropping of their most potent strikier CMS!!

conclusion he is more worried about next season and sees SFC as biggest threat so would rather see WHA promoted therefore threw the game

presecution rests his case mi lord

3 page thread on North Stand Chat questioning the team he put out including the dropping of their most potent strikier CMS!!

conclusion he is more worried about next season and sees SFC as biggest threat so would rather see WHA promoted therefore threw the game

Should that have been prosecution or persecution? ;)

no that's not what I'm saying,it's just a reference scale for those who haven't seen the game.Bart wasn't great to be sure but Brezovan made him look like Van De Saar on a good day.

If Bart hadn't got the protection of the defence after the 2 he conceded he could have well continued his horror show that day. Luckily, Blackpool didn't create much in the second half that day.

Point is, once a keeper has lost his confidence and bottle, especially away from home, all of them are more than capable of having a complete mare. I've seen the highlights of the game at the weekend and other than for the first goal, I can't think of another which you could directly attribute to the goalie alone.

confused.com.

Hes worried about Saints beating Chelsea ???

West Ham had been threatening to do that to someone, they battered Reading for the whole first half by all accounts. Unless there is any evidence of wrongdoing this thread is b*ll*x

bit of a chicken-egg situation that.

I see practical issues with identifying any wrong doing, such as on what basis an investigation should start. I suppose I would go with the suggestion of earlier - start an investigation if any odd betting was taking place.

Makes perfect sense :D

West Ham had been threatening to do that to someone, they battered Reading for the whole first half by all accounts. Unless there is any evidence of wrongdoing this thread is b*ll*x

That's becoming a bit of a theme Brighton, saints and WHU all battered Reading and all lost.....

While any sort of bribe is very, very unlikely, anyone that watched the game/extended highlights, the level of poor defending was more than just a bad day at the office, it was the worst I've seen for a long, long time in any game and this from a half decent Brighton side. Certainly a very "strange" performance if nothing else.

I have already stated my belief that we have zero chance in the playoffs, for a number of reasons.

If you are asking me who would win if the playoff 1st round was Brighton v Saints, I genuninely think Brighton would win; Poyet would manage to motivate his team for that alright.But Brighton would get hammered in the final.

Zero chance?? What the **** are you one fella??

I watched the game and their goalkeeper made Barts performance against Blackpool look class, I thought that I had missed something in the warm up and they had an outfield player in goal

I think though that they just had a crappy day and it just was bad timing for us I am afraid

Cast your mind back to 1978 when Saints and Spurs allegedly colluded to achieve a 0-0 draw which meant both sides automatically went up and depriving (on goal difference) guess who. Yep you've guessed it Brighton. I remember it well and there were allegations from B and HA fans that we had deliberately not gone for a win. I saw the game and it was a strange affair because we could have won the title with a victory and yet apart from a Tony Funnell shot which hit a post, we did not look interested. Pay back time?

I remember it well. In fact we often bring it up in conversation. had we beat spurs they would have stayed down and Brighton gone up with us. Strange that 'we don't do that over here'. Testes!!! Two Manure dodgy penalties eh? We don't do it over here right?

I thought I explained that in my post.

I was inviting a discussion about it, and as per usual its turned into abuse.

Why are we really so reluctant to consider the possibility that we get aggressive ? Are we worried about what it says about the game or the nation ?

Look, there is SERIOUS F**KING MONEY riding on promotion to the PL. Everything else is secondary.

Considered. And, rejected. Utter nonsense.

What's more, you know it's nonsense, and you know that you would have had this reaction. I don't know why the rest of us play along in your attention seeking games.

Anyway you have to draw the line somewhere,Brighton missed a penalty against Reading as well, you'd have to look at that as well if suspicion were to fall upon them.Brezovan was crap and blew the game for his side before it had hardly started, you just need don't to look any further than that.It's not about Brighton it's about Brezovan and no-one else.He was just crap,no doubt Ankergren will start the next game.

Anyway you have to draw the line somewhere,Brighton missed a penalty against Reading as well, you'd have to look at that as well if suspicion were to fall upon them.Brezovan was crap and blew the game for his side before it had hardly started, you just need don't to look any further than that.It's not about Brighton it's about Brezovan and no-one else.He was just crap,no doubt Ankergren will start the next game.
He was s****e, but so was the rest of their defending, certainly more than just a bad day.

If you want to investigate this alpine then perhaps you should ask for Crystal Palace to be considered as they put a lot of youngsters out against us last Monday.

Or Barnsley against us, West Ham and just about everyone they have played all season.....

This thread still going - absolutely embarrassing. In other news, the football league are investigating whether or not Southampton threw their two games against Bristol City earlier in the season after two terrible performances that confounded the form book......

Yes, you are so embarassed and outraged, that you posted on it again.

Not too bright, eh ?

Right, then STFU. You have no right to judge the discussion as ridiculous if you dont even want to consider the facts of the events.

Are you suggesting you actually have FACTS to back up this rubbish? Sour grapes or what! Look at the highlights half their goals are super strikes.

As Delboy would say ... You Plonk'aaaa

I have answered this twice already. But for the benefit of the illiterate.........

Yes, it is a possibility, because they would have had NO chance in the playoffs.

Not sure I agree Brighton would have no chance in the play offs. Its only 2 years since Blackpool finished 6th and went up thru play offs. Indeed wham themselves finished 6th in 2005 and went up through play offs!