Should Brighton be investigated for Saturdays game ?

alpine_saint

This thread still going - absolutely embarrassing. In other news, the football league are investigating whether or not Southampton threw their two games against Bristol City earlier in the season after two terrible performances that confounded the form book......

Anything to help send pompey down:D

Congratulations Alpine, this time last year you started a thread about us resting our best players in the run up to automatic promotion in order to be fresh for the play-offs !

At the time I considered that you'd find it difficult to surpass that nonsense but, lo and behold, you've managed it !

You'll no doubt be pleased to hear that your name came up in conversation in the pub before the Reading match, just a pity that the words 'sad' and 'w a n k e r' cropped up in every sentence !!

Any idea why, in the post match interview, Poyet didn't seem remotely upset that his side had just capitulated in a game that they started just 2 points above the playoffs? He's usually fuming after losing such games.

Edited by trousers

Any idea why, in the post match interview, Poyet didn't seem remotely upset that his side had just capitulated in a game that they started just 2 points above the playoffs? He's usually fuming after losing games.
While the usual bores have used this thread to post abuse at Alpine, something definitely wasn't right about this game. Watch the highlights back again. Got a mate in the book-making industry that spotted a fair old surge of betting on West Ham Sat morning, not enough to really get anyone looking into it though.

Any idea why, in the post match interview, Poyet didn't seem remotely upset that his side had just capitulated in a game that they started just 2 points above the playoffs? He's usually fuming after losing such games.

when you're that sh*t it's obviously not worth going on about for any amount of time.

Once Brezovan f*cked up after 3 minutes and then they conceded 2 more in the next 8 minutes it's just a lost cause, chalk it off and move on to the next game, their play-off hopes were wobbling already, then they lost against Reading and at 3-0 down after 11 minutes it's obviously all over.On to next season.They don't have a side anywhere near good enough even to have the basis for a PL side and the Amex has probably emptied their reserves so even though the play-offs might have been desirable it's no great loss.

While the usual bores have used this thread to post abuse at Alpine, something definitely wasn't right about this game. Watch the highlights back again. Got a mate in the book-making industry that spotted a fair old surge of betting on West Ham Sat morning, not enough to really get anyone looking into it though.

If any booky really lost heavily on that game he'll report it and there will be at least a small internal enquiry.Unusual betting patterns are monitored in the slightest detail,there's a special body for it.

He lives by the sword, he can die by the sword !

I watched the highlights (which he didn't!) and saw one team destroy another, no dodgy pens, no red cards etc, etc....

If you want conspiracies, just watch the Donny v Pompey highlights and try to equate that with fair play !

If any booky really lost heavily on that game he'll report it and there will be at least a small internal enquiry.Unusual betting patterns are monitored in the slightest detail,there's a special body for it.
Its not quite as straight forward as that. You can see a surge or a pick up on certain bets, but its not like someone is going to just go to one bookie and stick a million on the nose for West Ham to win. I'm sure there's nothing in it anyway.

He lives by the sword, he can die by the sword !

I watched the highlights (which he didn't!) and saw one team destroy another, no dodgy pens, no red cards etc, etc....

If you want conspiracies, just watch the Donny v Pompey highlights and try to equate that with fair play !

I agree that was a very odd game as well and that's not just sour grapes at their win. Guess it was just one of those weekends of football.

To be fair its not just Alpine who thinks there was something wrong. I had 2 mates at work today independently thinking along similar lines. If someone else had started this thread it would have been given more credence.

If you want conspiracy it ain't here and to other fans it will (and should) look like straw clutching.

However....

I am surprised that more hasn't been made of the West Ham / Reading loans of Mullins and Henderson. Especially given the 'significant' fees involved keep Pompey in the game and points on the board for our rivals.

But, at the end of the day, it is nothing illegal - and Mullins has played a part - but I am certain for them it was a happy by-product of their signings. I do think the emergency loans window is a bit of a joke though (not that we haven't benefited in the past from it) - there's less emergency, more convenience.

Brighton were in a good position to get back into the playoffs with a win so there's no way they'd be taking their foot off the gas.

It was just one of those inept performances that come about every once in a while, also don't forget that they had just given Reading a battering and had come away with nothing - probably affected their morale.

They were simply rubbish, not that they have done us any favours atall.

To be fair its not just Alpine who thinks there was something wrong. I had 2 mates at work today independently thinking along similar lines. If someone else had started this thread it would have been given more credence.

Some people on here are ****ing stupid

My Brighton supporting pals are hugely embarrassed by the WHU result and are saying it suggests their team is far more fragile than they realised. They are saying that this has been coming with some poor results paving the way over the last couple of months. I think it also suggests more determination by WHU to get back to the Prem, but it is in our own hands to stop them with the three points we have in hand. There must be total commitment in these last 3 games.

This thread has run for 24 hours and 4 pages, and when filtering out the small fraction of worthwhile comments from the rabid drooling it appears that the general body of opinion is that some sort of fix of this games result is an inconceivable scenario. I am not sure why, for me the arguments have less than convincing, but I for one am happy to leave it at that.

We will never know for certain, and it will never be investigated. The question was simply about whether it should be.

Happy for a mod to lock this before any more knicker elastic snaps.

I'm a Brighton fan, I was at the game and I can confirm the above. Hope that helps.
Well I've only seen the extended highlights and you looked more than "a bit" s**t.

Surely more embarrassing is the reaction on your forum about this thread, pleased that your result might help West Ham beat us to 2nd. Now that is a sad thread.

Well I've only seen the extended highlights and you looked more than "a bit s hit"

Alright, mate. No need to rub it in. (although in my defence I only stayed for the first 5 goals so I only saw about 83% of our sh itness.)

Ive been more embarrassed, I can assure you. I once shared a bath with an ex-girlfriend, thought it would be funny to fart and make some bubbles and I followed through. I think that was more embarrassing. It was Valentine's Day as well. Not my finest moment.

Alright, mate. No need to rub it in. (although in my defence I only stayed for the first 5 goals so I only saw about 83% of our sh itness.)

Ive been more embarrassed, I can assure you. I once shared a bath with an ex-girlfriend, thought it would be funny to fart and make some bubbles and I followed through. I think that was more embarrassing. It was Valentine's Day as well. Not my finest moment.

I've highlighted your first mistake there matey!

Bye, bye, Brighton. We were just passing by.

"The booing is not acceptable, I would like to tell them not to come if they don't like it, if they don't like the way we play, stay at home," said the Seagulls boss. "There's something wrong in this football club...."