Are we wasting time going for unrealistic transfer targets ?

Saints boy in Leeds

Not trying to sound negative as we've signed a CB already but it does seem like we aren't able to bring in any of the top targets we're linked with. With only 6 or so weeks left (still quite a long time I know) until the start of the new season can't help thinking we should be aiming a tad lower to actually get players in and get them in the squad / training ?

top players attract a lot of interest so deals can take a long time for example Higuain has been on verge of signing for arsenal for the last 3 weeks.

We dont have european football or rich history therefore we are reliant on selling the "project" and hope the player buys into it. Ultimately most players are driven by money so that gives us hope but still a long shot given the so called big boys we are competing with.

Ideally we would have more players onboard by now to allow them to integrate into a whole new culture and environment but not that easy unfortunately.

The problem at the moment is the big boys are not getting those signings in just yet as they are playing the market with many others and the big players are still on holiday thanks to the recent tournament.

Supposing Chelsea got Cavani & whoever else, then Torres goes to Inter who then release Joe Bloggs.

That Joe Bloggs could be our target.

Another example is Scott Sinclair from City, they are after a winger and once that deal is done it would release a potential target for us?

Got nowt to lose by throwing our name into the mixer. All players must end up somewhere.

Statistically we have a 20% chance of signing Osvaldo, 20% chance of signing Damiao, 20% chance of signing Wanyama, and 20% chance of signing Banega.

The other 20% chance is making no signings at all.

Better than wasting £2-3m on 'certainties' like Will Buckley who we can bring here in a heartbeat if we wanted, and would do nothing more than bloat the squad more than it is already bloated. Really don't need to make any signings for the sake of making signings.

Quality over quantity, for me.

Personally, I am fed up and very, very, VERY bored of the ritual f**king circus that goes on every summer. And at the abuse I get for expressing my exasperation at it.

We will sign the players - and they will perform, or do a Gashton - or we wont. As a result, we will go down, or we wont.

Not much more to say, I reckon. Except to express a doubt about the grasp on the realities of the transfer market that our "transfer committee" seems to have.

Got nowt to lose by throwing our name into the mixer. All players must end up somewhere.

Statistically we have a 20% chance of signing Osvaldo, 20% chance of signing Damiao, 20% chance of signing Wanyama, and 20% chance of signing Banega.

The other 20% chance is making no signings at all.

Better than wasting £2-3m on 'certainties' like Will Buckley who we can bring here in a heartbeat if we wanted, and would do nothing more than bloat the squad more than it is already bloated. Really don't need to make any signings for the sake of making signings.

Quality over quantity, for me.

good post pissant! It was a lot easier to sign players in league 1 when they only had to be better than Lee Holmes

Saints are not unique in having to work hard to make signings for the Premier League. The likes of Man City and Chelsea have also missed out on players they were linked with. Hard to be patient when as fans we don't know the daily events going on but eventually judgement can only be made when the window closes. When a signing is made, assuming it is a player of international standard, we may feel a bit better.

People are frustrated, I understand that but today is the first day back for those membersof the squad that were on international duty. It has already been confirmed that several of the rumours were not genuine targets so that leaves Wanyama, Damiao and Benega. Poch said there was not room for all three. None of them have yet signed elsewhere so we're still in the market.

Conclusion - concerns are a bit premature

top players attract a lot of interest so deals can take a long time for example Higuain has been on verge of signing for arsenal for the last 3 weeks.

We dont have european football or rich history therefore we are reliant on selling the "project" and hope the player buys into it. Ultimately most players are driven by money so that gives us hope but still a long shot given the so called big boys we are competing with.

Ideally we would have more players onboard by now to allow them to integrate into a whole new culture and environment but not that easy unfortunately.

Its possible but is Cortese prepared to spend, Chelsea and Ambramovic have acomlished it, the only we will ever realise (we wont) consistent European football is by spending more than the others clubs we wish to overtake, will we do that?

No.

Not trying to sound negative as we've signed a CB already but it does seem like we aren't able to bring in any of the top targets we're linked with. With only 6 or so weeks left (still quite a long time I know) until the start of the new season can't help thinking we should be aiming a tad lower to actually get players in and get them in the squad / training ?
No. Our current squad is good enough to stay up and compete around lower midtable - if we have a load of money to spend we may as well use it to try and bring in players who are comfortably top ten Premier League level.

Personally, I am fed up and very, very, VERY bored of the ritual f**king circus that goes on every summer. And at the abuse I get for expressing my exasperation at it.

We will sign the players - and they will perform, or do a Gashton - or we wont. As a result, we will go down, or we wont.

Not much more to say, I reckon. Except to express a doubt about the grasp on the realities of the transfer market that our "transfer committee" seems to have.

I have faith in a banker and a manager so poor the fans still refer to the "Les Miserables" experience to feel better when down to sign our players, if they wont come for the money they will come to learn from these two pearlers...................................

You absolutely must explain your transfer expertise. Either we're all missing something or you're just posting garbage. If it's the former, why do you never explain? We're all football fans and most of us including me have no experience in transfer negotiations, have no clue about target lists, agents, other chairman and player availability. If you had contacts and more knowledge on the matter than those running a premier league football club then it would be of great interest to the forum. Otherwise it seems very odd to get angry about something you've invented in your own head.

Hmm. I am just wondering how you managed to come up with that response to my post. I thought I made it quite clear that I dont care and aint gonna get worked up about it anymore. What will be will be. Those in the hot seat can decide for themselves if being control at every step of the transfer negotiation process is more important that closing deals and ensuring a third season of Premiership football.

Pointless debate unless someone on here has the facts on how much time these things take, whether it prevent chasing multiple targets, and what is 'realistic'. We know a fraction of who we're after, we don't know what's possible. I'm sure some we deem realistic wouldn't want to join us, and some we couldn't imagine could actually be convinced.

The only way to judge it is after the window, and probably after the season based on how we've done. Even then, you need to look at individuals, whether they'll find form or keep form, worth more or worth less, take time to settle or just aren't good enough. People seem to create problems out of boredom in the summer. The better we get the fewer signings we'll need, the better the targets the longer it'll take and the less likely it'll be. Think some are going to struggle adjusting to that. I'm sure it was fun on the QPR forum when they were signing a famous name every 10 minutes last summer, and I'm sure their Alpine wanted even more signings, but it's never the way to go.

You can't judge this one correct but if we go off previous ones with big signings such as the Gash, Mayuka and Forren please don't be offended if I remain highly sceptical of our nous when it comes to spotting talent from afar.

No, not if you want to improve the team.

Obviously these type of players will normally have a few cards to play of their own so it can be more tricky but the club are right to push the boundaries.

I guess it's a judgement call on how long you spend vs how much you want the player.

Looking from the outside in it looks like NC wants Wanyama quite badly.

I have said it before but I dont think the World cup next year has helped us at all,players will be thinking they need to be playing European football to have a shoe in for selection,I know Lovren signed but he was down the pecking order at Lyon so a move for him was probably the right one as we would more than likely offered him week in week out football,Banega and Damiao have to be thinking I really need to be playing Euro/CL football next season.Cortese will really have to sell the dream to capture these targets

I have said it before but I dont think the World cup next year has helped us at all,players will be thinking they need to be playing European football to have a shoe in for selection,I know Lovren signed but he was down the pecking order at Lyon so a move for him was probably the right one as we would more than likely offered him week in week out football,Banega and Damiao have to be thinking I really need to be playing Euro/CL football next season.Cortese will really have to sell the dream to capture these targets

Sounds like a "yes" of sorts...

You can't judge this one correct but if we go off previous ones with big signings such as the Gash, Mayuka and Forren please don't be offended if I remain highly sceptical of our nous when it comes to spotting talent from afar.

Three young players with a heck of a lot of potential. Any one of them could make the grade, any one of them could fail.

One thing though, 'Gastón' doesn't have a 'h' in it.

Three young players with a heck of a lot of potential. Any one of them could make the grade, any one of them could fail.

So we are signing potential now? All very good that but that will not ensure we have European football consistently as its a gamble isn't it?

The only way to assure our passage to European football is to buy it in the time Cortese has stated, thats obvious, whats also obvious is he is not prepared to part with the money so its bull**** I'm afraid, a guise, a smokescreen.

I think you can only claim it is a waste of time if the process of chasing top level targets means we miss out on more attainable targets (note: target means someone we want, not someone supporters think would do a job for us).

The transfer window is like plate spinning. You try to get the absolute best player you can whilst at the same time ensuring your backup targets are still there once you know one way or another with your primary targets. With six weeks left of the transfer window, I would be more concerned if we had moved to backup targets (unless of course the primary targets have already become unattainable or moved to someone else).

This summer is a little different to last. Last summer there was some apprehension around the squad and we dropped a bollock in our pursuit of a central defender and winger. The fact we ended up with Yoshida at centre-half who came out of nowhere means he was never first choice, and our failure to get a winger meant we ended up buying Mayuka on the basis he could play there but it was really only the form that Puncheon showed which meant that decision wasn't punished on the pitch.

This summer we've already strengthened the area we need to most, and the team has shown it is more than able in other areas so this is about really improving us, not reinforcements or depth. You don't buy for depth, you buy to improve your team and use any player displaced as the depth.

Sounds like a "yes" of sorts...

I suppose it is a yes,but only for this season,if the WC was not on next summer I believe we would have a better chance of signing these players.

I still find it hard to believe that we are looking at buying the current Brazil no9,I may be sceptical but what do we have to offer him that will benefit him and his push for world cup selection? ever the sceptic I believe he has no intention of joining us but is using us to flush out other clubs,as most of world football knows we have money and are not afraid to go after targets

Until he is match fit and plays well he shall be Gashton as his performances have been.

Its possible but is Cortese prepared to spend, Chelsea and Ambramovic have acomlished it, the only we will ever realise (we wont) consistent European football is by spending more than the others clubs we wish to overtake, will we do that?

No.

Wrong. The only way that we will achieve consistent European football is by reaching 4th place or higher in the Premiership each year. Whether that can only be achieved by spending more than our rivals or not is debateable. Happily, it is not a given that the most expensively assembled team runs away with the division. Often a team comprising of expensive individuals gets beaten by one consisting of less expensive players who play better as a team, i.e. the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Furthermore, one does not need to spend mega-bucks on players already at the club, those who we have brought through our own academy.

Then what needs to be recognised, is that the squad size at any club is not infinite; that when the top teams of Europe have filled their allocation, tweaked their teams so that they consider that they have improved on what they even had before, then there are still plenty of really good quality players out there. Including some who are diamonds still waiting to be unearthed, who can be bought relatively cheaply, but who could still set the Premiership alight this coming season and at the end of it be considered as good as some of those current stars in the £20 million plus bracket.

This strategy requires astute scouting and negotiation skills. Does Southampton and Cortese have those? Yes, I think so.

So we are signing potential now? All very good that but that will not ensure we have European football consistently as its a gamble isn't it?

The only way to assure our passage to European football is to buy it in the time Cortese has stated, thats obvious, whats also obvious is he is not prepared to part with the money so its bull**** I'm afraid, a guise, a smokescreen.

Where is your evidence to back up this absurd statement of yours?

Wrong. The only way that we will achieve consistent European football is by reaching 4th place or higher in the Premiership each year. Whether that can only be achieved by spending more than our rivals or not is debateable. Happily, it is not a given that the most expensively assembled team runs away with the division. Often a team comprising of expensive individuals gets beaten by one consisting of less expensive players who play better as a team, i.e. the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Furthermore, one does not need to spend mega-bucks on players already at the club, those who we have brought through our own academy.

Then what needs to be recognised, is that the squad size at any club is not infinite; that when the top teams of Europe have filled their allocation, tweaked their teams so that they consider that they have improved on what they even had before, then there are still plenty of really good quality players out there. Including some who are diamonds still waiting to be unearthed, who can be bought relatively cheaply, but who could still set the Premiership alight this coming season and at the end of it be considered as good as some of those current stars in the £20 million plus bracket.

This strategy requires astute scouting and negotiation skills. Does Southampton and Cortese have those? Yes, I think so.

Wrong.

Last five years spend.

United have spent millions

Bought/Sold/Nett/Per Season

1 Manchester City £590,350,000 £159,300,000 £431,050,000 £86,210,000

2 Chelsea £344,800,000 £97,600,000 £247,200,000 £49,440,000

3 Stoke City £97,825,000 £8,650,000 £89,175,000 £17,835,000

4 Aston Villa £174,600,000 £91,600,000 £83,000,000 £16,600,000

5 Manchester United £202,250,000 £127,800,000 £74,450,000 £14,890,000

6 Liverpool £274,450,000 £207,550,000 £66,900,000 £13,380,000

7 Sunderland £134,130,000 £89,700,000 £44,430,000 £8,886,000

8 Southampton £47,850,000 £14,600,000 £33,250,000 £6,650,000

9 Hull City £34,275,000 £7,500,000 £26,775,000 £5,355,000

10 Norwich City £22,750,000 £1,100,000 £21,650,000 £4,330,000

11 West Ham £75,850,000 £54,800,000 £21,050,000 £4,210,000

12 West Bromwich Albion £38,745,000 £26,310,000 £12,435,000 £2,487,000

15 Fulham £48,580,000 £39,700,000 £8,880,000 £1,776,000

14 Tottenham £207,200,000 £199,550,000 £7,650,000 £1,530,000

15 Cardiff City £15,595,000 £12,925,000 £2,670,000 £534,000

16 Swansea £31,455,000 £29,860,000 £1,595,000 £319,000

17 Crystal Palace £3,050,000 £9,750,000 -£6,700,000 -£1,340,000

18 Everton £63,500,500 £75,816,000 -£12,315,500 -£2,463,100

19 Newcastle £91,150,000 £117,050,000 -£25,900,000 -£5,180,000

20 Arsenal £145,700,000 £182,400,000 -£36,700,000 -£7,340,000

Spending is now key unfortunately, a sad fact and the main reason why I despise the Premership, we have to spend or have the luck like fergie did with hi fledglings, the issue there is great players will stay at United but will they here?

No they wont, not if a big enough offer comes in, we will be tested with Shaw and what message does that send out if we let him go?

In short Cortese has made a promise upon a gamble, I am holding him to it, we will ahve to go above Liverpool, Everton and Spurs, sorry I'm chuckling as I write, what proof or indictation is there we shall do that?

Edited by Barry Sanchez

No.

Spurs spent more than Arsenal last season, and always do. Its not the only way. World class coaching and wise investment will go a long way. Failing that spunking 120mil in one window on the likes of Wayne Bridge and Damian Duff would help....

Spurs spent more than Arsenal last season, and always do. Its not the only way. World class coaching and wise investment will go a long way. Failing that spunking 120mil in one window on the likes of Wayne Bridge and Damian Duff would help....

Yes I have always wanted to spunk money on those players............................

Yes I have always wanted to spunk money on those players............................

Because I was obviously actually saying we should sign Bridge and Duff. I was saying whacking out that kind of money as Abramovich did in 2003 on a virtually new squad, which included those two players, is the alternative to working at it over a few seasons to build the required squad of the right people through shrewed investment and good coaching.

Surely the issue we have this season is that we've got a pretty good squad already. We need to take a step up in quality and that

a) Doesn't come cheaply

or

b) Is tricky as more established clubs than us want the players we're looking at

We're looking to get to that Tottenham level, which is or isn't realistic depending on who posts on here. I think if you spend wisely then getting to that level or Everton's level, is very possible. The problem is getting them to sign on the dotted line and succumbing to the "vision".

We could quite easily get certain targets but they'd realistically just be squad players and wouldn't improve the squad that much...

That said, none of us have a clue how transfer strategies work or whether we're efficient or inefficient.

The last few seasons would indicate we're getting better and better at it and it's only naivety with agents that holds us back...

Im not saying that we don't have a good enough squad to stay up again, I think we do but if we really are serious about improving then I hope we all agree we need at least a couple of players in, a goal scorer being one. I have said its a good thing that we have signed Lovren to add some steel at the back and hopefully cut out a few going in at the wrong end and there's still quite alot of time left in the window but seeing as we have all the extra cash from the new TV deal IMO we should be looking at a couple of foward players to get us another 10 - 15 goals a season so we dont have a finish like last time out. I would much prefer us to of got a free Darren Bent in for a season on a lowish wage then no one.

Because I was obviously actually saying we should sign Bridge and Duff. I was saying whacking out that kind of money as Abramovich did in 2003 on a virtually new squad, which included those two players, is the alternative to working at it over a few seasons to build the required squad of the right people through shrewed investment and good coaching.

But you are missing the time constraints Cortese has set himself, are we going to go ahead of the said teams in two seasons by shrewed investment and good coaching? To little time, Ambramovich bought heavily and also bought in the main well, look at the success it has brought to the club.

Wrong.

Last five years spend.

United have spent millions

1 Manchester City £590,350,000 £159,300,000 £431,050,000 £86,210,000

2 Chelsea £344,800,000 £97,600,000 £247,200,000 £49,440,000

3 Stoke City £97,825,000 £8,650,000 £89,175,000 £17,835,000

4 Aston Villa £174,600,000 £91,600,000 £83,000,000 £16,600,000

5 Manchester United £202,250,000 £127,800,000 £74,450,000 £14,890,000

6 Liverpool £274,450,000 £207,550,000 £66,900,000 £13,380,000

7 Sunderland £134,130,000 £89,700,000 £44,430,000 £8,886,000

8 Southampton £47,850,000 £14,600,000 £33,250,000 £6,650,000

9 Hull City £34,275,000 £7,500,000 £26,775,000 £5,355,000

10 Norwich City £22,750,000 £1,100,000 £21,650,000 £4,330,000

11 West Ham £75,850,000 £54,800,000 £21,050,000 £4,210,000

12 West Bromwich Albion £38,745,000 £26,310,000 £12,435,000 £2,487,000

15 Fulham £48,580,000 £39,700,000 £8,880,000 £1,776,000

14 Tottenham £207,200,000 £199,550,000 £7,650,000 £1,530,000

15 Cardiff City £15,595,000 £12,925,000 £2,670,000 £534,000

16 Swansea £31,455,000 £29,860,000 £1,595,000 £319,000

17 Crystal Palace £3,050,000 £9,750,000 -£6,700,000 -£1,340,000

18 Everton £63,500,500 £75,816,000 -£12,315,500 -£2,463,100

19 Newcastle £91,150,000 £117,050,000 -£25,900,000 -£5,180,000

20 Arsenal £145,700,000 £182,400,000 -£36,700,000 -£7,340,000

Spending is now key unfortunately, a sad fact and the main reason why I despise the Premership, we have to spend or have the luck like fergie did with hi fledglings, the issue there is great players will stay at United but will they here?

No they wont, not if a big enough offer comes in, we will be tested with Shaw and what message does that send out if we let him go?

In short Cortese has made a promise upon a gamble, I am holding him to it, we will ahve to go above Liverpool, Everton and Spurs, sorry I'm chuckling as I write, what proof or indictation is there we shall do that?

Those stats don't make much sense in terms of the positions placed next to them. Can you please explain how the positions were arrived at?

Whilst you're at it, please give me an answer to my request for evidence that Cortese will not spend the money on the players we would need to purchase to gain a place in Europe.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but my understanding is that we weren't about to sell Shaw. Surely the signal has already been sent out loud and clear that clubs like Arsenal, Spurs, United, City, cannot just wave a chequebook in our direction and expect that we have to sell our best young players to them anymore. If a really stupid offer was made, then any club in the World is a selling club if the player wants to move.

Regarding whether we can move above Everton, Spurs, or Liverpool, it is a bit premature to laugh before a ball has been kicked this coming season. Spurs would have been 8th if they had not had Bale's goals last season. I'm delighted to hear that you are confident that Martinez will do as good a job at Everton as Moyes did. Makes you wonder why United didn't sign him up instead of Moyes, eh? Liverpool's position last season relied heavily on Suarez, who might leave. But if they only managed to achieve 7th again, I wouldn't deem it to beyond the realms of possibility that we could end up above them.

So a bit premature in many ways to make predictions based on so many factors that might alter.

But as I say, evidence to back up your assertion that Cortese will not splash the cash is eagerly awaited.

Maybe hes sick of being on the Bench for a whole season, Id take a punt on him for £30K odd a week and £0 transfer fee.

Why would he though?

He could earn similar amounts of money and play most weeks many other clubs. Like Newcastle for example

Failing that, Cardiff seem to be splashing the cash

Throw in new TV deal. I doubt he will take a 50% wage cut this season

Those stats don't make much sense in terms of the positions placed next to them. Can you please explain how the positions were arrived at?

Whilst you're at it, please give me an answer to my request for evidence that Cortese will not spend the money on the players we would need to purchase to gain a place in Europe.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but my understanding is that we weren't about to sell Shaw. Surely the signal has already been sent out loud and clear that clubs like Arsenal, Spurs, United, City, cannot just wave a chequebook in our direction and expect that we have to sell our best young players to them anymore. If a really stupid offer was made, then any club in the World is a selling club if the player wants to move.

Regarding whether we can move above Everton, Spurs, or Liverpool, it is a bit premature to laugh before a ball has been kicked this coming season. Spurs would have been 8th if they had not had Bale's goals last season. I'm delighted to hear that you are confident that Martinez will do as good a job at Everton as Moyes did. Makes you wonder why United didn't sign him up instead of Moyes, eh? Liverpool's position last season relied heavily on Suarez, who might leave. But if they only managed to achieve 7th again, I wouldn't deem it to beyond the realms of possibility that we could end up above them.

So a bit premature in many ways to make predictions based on so many factors that might alter.

But as I say, evidence to back up your assertion that Cortese will not splash the cash is eagerly awaited.

Because if we were spending cash we would not be too concerned about £800,000 for an agents fee, ethics you can argue and thats too be applauded but pride has no place in football when buying a player.

Sorry when is Wanyama flying down again?

So you base your evidence that because Cortese won't be blackmailed into being screwed by a player's agent, that is conclusive evidence that he won't spend the money needed to avance the team?

Last time I looked, Wanyama was still being pursued by us and could yet still sign for us. If he does, will you then apologise profusely for going off at half cock and admit that the basis for your assertion was just idiotic?

So you base your evidence that because Cortese won't be blackmailed into being screwed by a player's agent, that is conclusive evidence that he won't spend the money needed to avance the team?

Last time I looked, Wanyama was still being pursued by us and could yet still sign for us. If he does, will you then apologise profusely for going off at half cock and admit that the basis for your assertion was just idiotic?

If we continue to pay, by a mile, the least agent fees. Certain players will always be out of reach

But that is his personal wealth which he is happy to throw around and will accept making huge losses on the ones he gets wrong. Veron, Shevchenko, Crespo etc. Not saying you are wrong mate, just saying that mega investment is the only or best way to get european football.

Barry, I am finidng it hard to take you seriosuly here. This is not your fault, but this argument has become quite aggressive as usual. This leads to broad sweeping comments and loads of back sniping. You are now coming out with what appears to be a very biased argument; saying that we need to outspend the current top teams to get into and maintain a position in europe and moaning that whilst we are spending money, we are not signing players that will "ensure" are place in Europe.

From my perspective of football. Nothing is 100 percent certain, and the signing of any player does not ensure anything. From another perspective.... NC's model would see us with the next generation of Oxlade, walcott and bale... they would have played in the same team as bridge and would be alongisde other players like morgan, cork, lallana, jayrod and lambert.... backed up by a few quality player such as those we have been linked at recently at gaston and Lovren.... Where the club is heading... if we sell shaw it will be for shed loads, that or we can keep them and we have ready made quality players... its like actually doing what Arsenal have been trying to do (but then resorted to buying ours for shed loads).... And you may dismiss that model... but look at the players united brought through and played at top level, and look at our pedigree for players over the last 20years...

Nothing will assure our way to premier league football. And frankly, I think cortese is spot on in his approach..... Get a young squad... play the U18's a the highest level possible to develop our own, and buy a selection of quality players to plug the gap... We will never do a city... and all they have won is a title and a cup for a billion net spend... But what we might do is an arsenal...

Also people knock the city of southampton... but our players, live, work and train in the new forest.... compare that to london, because when you have kids as a footaller where would you honestly want to live? Maybe that is why we are producing normal teenage footballers that speak well and have a level head, where as the london teams produce 20 year olds with a 10 year old reading level.

With NC at the helm, this club will go wherever that man wants it to go... sit back, enjoy the ride.

No.

if clubs above us waste money the way liverpool did on carroll and chelsea on torres all we have to do is spend more carefully than them to catch up.

Whether we are capable of doing so with les reed involved is up for debate.

Why would he though?

He could earn similar amounts of money and play most weeks many other clubs. Like Newcastle for example

Failing that, Cardiff seem to be splashing the cash

Throw in new TV deal. I doubt he will take a 50% wage cut this season

Point taken bud, just think he would be more likely to come to us then someone like Benega or the others we've been linked with.

Also barry, another point against having to spend money to get eurpoean football. go look at arsenals net spend since 08/09... it is one of the lowest in the league, memory fails me but it may even be negative.... Hasn't stopped them getting champions league football. And to look where we have both come from, in 1994/95, pre wenger, we were finishing above them in the league...

Also barry, another point against having to spend money to get eurpoean football. go look at arsenals net spend since 08/09... it is one of the lowest in the league, memory fails me but it may even be negative.... Hasn't stopped them getting champions league football. And to look where we have both come from, in 1994/95, pre wenger, we were finishing above them in the league...

Arsenals wage bill is and has been incredible. Regardless of net spend