September POTM

Lighthouse

Tadic, Virgil, Pelle and Mané officially nominated.

I can't decide really, maybe Tadic just edges it for 3 goals and an excellent display against Norwich. Pelle is right up there with him though. Virgil has been excellent but I don't feel he was really tested too much, apart from Utd where he looked a bit shaky.

Tadic, Virgil, Pelle and Mané officially nominated.

I can't decide really, maybe Tadic just edges it for 3 goals and an excellent display against Norwich. Pelle is right up there with him though. Virgil has been excellent but I don't feel he was really tested too much, apart from Utd where he looked a bit shaky.

Of the nominations it probably has to be Mane, but no-one really stands out. Trouble is everyone has been so inconsistent during September. Everyone was awful for most of the match against Man U, though Pelle did play well for first part and last 10 minutes (after he had asked to be subbed). Pelle was very average on Saturday and missed an absolute sitter after being set up by Juanmi for one of the simplest chances he will ever get. Virgil was terrible against Man U, but good on Saturday. Norwich was in August so doesn't count (September games are WBA, Man U, MK Dons and Swansea). Tadic went missing for most of the Man U game. Mane has not been at his best, but at least scored against Swansea plus 2 against MK Dons, so think he is probably the most deserving.

Pelle I think. His build up play has been great, and he's got a good mix of providing the last ball, but also wanting to be there in the box to receive it. His performance against Utd and Swansea were excellent, don't buy this constant trend of picking out matches or moments where he doesn't look interested. I think he comes across very committed to the club and fans, and tops it off with goals and the occasional assist, in addition to being a handful for any defense to focus on. He gives Mane space to play because he nearly always has 2 defenders around him.

I know that's an analysis of his general play, but I think this September he's been fairly reliable so would go for him. Mane could have had it also, mind.

Of the nominations it probably has to be Mane, but no-one really stands out. Trouble is everyone has been so inconsistent during September. Everyone was awful for most of the match against Man U, though Pelle did play well for first part and last 10 minutes (after he had asked to be subbed). Pelle was very average on Saturday and missed an absolute sitter after being set up by Juanmi for one of the simplest chances he will ever get. Virgil was terrible against Man U, but good on Saturday. Norwich was in August so doesn't count (September games are WBA, Man U, MK Dons and Swansea). Tadic went missing for most of the Man U game. Mane has not been at his best, but at least scored against Swansea plus 2 against MK Dons, so think he is probably the most deserving.
You really need to go back and watch the Man Utd game again.

I know that's an analysis of his general play, but I think this September he's been fairly reliable so would go for him. Mane could have had it also, mind.

How? Scored in one game, was awful in the one he scored in for 2/3 of the match, didn't play in one and drew a blank, including missing a sitter in the other two. Just can't see how that is "fairly reliable".

How? Scored in one game, was awful in the one he scored in for 2/3 of the match, didn't play in one and drew a blank, including missing a sitter in the other two. Just can't see how that is "fairly reliable".

hm. I just don't know what you expect from him. He's absolutely meeting my expectations as a fairly older, but decent striker who's realistically never going to set the world alight. You can berate him all day long for not standing there, not getting this goal, not taking this chance. But the fact is, he's getting 2-3 goals every month and the occassional assist. That is exactly no more or less than I expect from him. If anything, he's actually turned out a lot better than I thought as he was at one time an utter joke just before he joined the Dutch league .

He just is not a 40 million quid striker who will always make the right decisions. Whatever his 'attitude' or 'looking like he's not bothered' (which I know you haven't said, but lots of others have), he does get the end product enough to justify Koeman sticking with him. He's committed to the team and has a good balance between being selfish/bullish enough on the pitch, and also quite frankly a better-than-average holder of the ball who brings others into play.

Sure, I may be giving too much credit by the word reliable - that you're right on. Perhaps just decent or good would be a better word.

Pelle was amazing sat.