Book recommendations for my dad

hypochondriac

From the two books you identified I am assuming historic, maritime themes are good, these two are a good read: The Floating Brothel: The Extraordinary True Story of an 18th-Century Ship and Its Cargo of Female Convicts, ADMIRALS, The Naval Commanders who made Britain Great, Andrew Lambert

The Great Betrayal - The Menoirs of Ian Douglas Smith.

I have two first edition hardbacks. I bought two because I didn't want to crumple my signed edition.

http://www.rhodesia.nl/betrayal.htm

You might pick an original up on ebay, but they sell for quite a bit. £100 + for a signed edition.

There you go, and that is a good price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Great-Betrayal-Ian-Smith-Rhodesia-H-B-1st-edition-/270624979564?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item3f02817a6c

Edited by dune

From the two books you identified I am assuming historic, maritime themes are good, these two are a good read: The Floating Brothel: The Extraordinary True Story of an 18th-Century Ship and Its Cargo of Female Convicts, ADMIRALS, The Naval Commanders who made Britain Great, Andrew Lambert

Thanks for that. It is really historical oddities he enjoys (and I do too so shall be reading it after.)

I'll tell you a book that might tickle his fancy, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn.

Also, George Orwell's 1984.

If he (you both) likes it then you can start your own GO library, perhaps an acquired taste but in my opinion a brilliant man.

If you want a bit of historical fiction what about Birdsong by Sebastian Foulkes - I know it's been around a few years now but it is one of my all time favourites. Also what about a bit of John Steinbeck? East of Eden and Grapes of Wrath are both epic books and provide great commentaries on American life. I've read quite a bit of Cormac McCarthy lately - the Border Trilogy are excellent reads as well as the better known No Country for Old Men and the Road.

The best non-fiction I've read recently was D-Day by Anthony Beevor.

Down and out in Paris and London by George Orwell.Very apt with todays government.

One hell of a good read.

Although I must have last read it at least 20 years ago I can still remember the story of the roast chicken dropped down the restaurant lift shaft very distinctly. The image of a London doss house packed with the homeless trying to sleep on their feet (leaning against ropes) is also hard to shake off.