The Budget 2013 thread

JackFrost

I think this is the one where he finally admits he is out of ideas, and implements Heseltine's "bung money at regions plan" and tell them to get on with it.

Heseltine was the only Tory who seemed to give a crap about Liverpool.

Looking forward to labour crying foul afterwards despite having no credible alternative to provide. That's always fun.

There is a credible alternative; partner up with the rest of Europe and perform a root and branch reform of the financial system. Unfortunately, George doesn't want anything to do with that.

Why?

I'm afraid cash rich pensioners are seen as untouchable by the Government, I think that many do not need Christmas bonuses, winter fuel payments, TV licences and bus passes. I don't like penalising people for being prudent and saving properly, however this country needs everyone to make sacrifices, and 1/2 of the total welfare bill is spent on pensioners - something has to give. I know for a fact that when I get to pension age (however old that will be, I genuinely don't think I'll live that long at 30 now) I'll get nothing like what the current generation of pensioners get.

Edited by JackanorySFC

I'm afraid cash rich pensioners are seen as untouchable by the Government, I think that many do not need Christmas bonuses, winter fuel payments, TV licences and bus passes. I don't like penalising people for being prudent and saving properly, however this country needs everyone to make sacrifices, and 1/2 of the total welfare bill is spent on pensioners - something has to give. I know for a fact that when I get to pension age (however old that will be, I genuinely don't think I'll live that long at 30 now) I'll get nothing like what the current generation of pensioners get.

That generation have had a lot of benefits that mine certainly won't get.

I'm 23, and whilst not advocating totally raiding pensioners, I think it would be fairer if they shouldered at least some of the burden.

The last few years have seen everything dumped on my generation, we are effectively paying for previous generations cock-ups.

If you look at the age distribution of voters, the number of pensioners who actually use their vote is quite a high proportion of the total.

All governments are very wary of upsetting them as it would cost them a lot of votes at the next election.

I'm over 60 with a well paid job but I get a bus pass and winter fuel payment which I don't really need but, if I'm entitled to it, I'll have it.

Edited by ecuk268

The trouble is whenever you hear about pensioners you immediately conjure up images of some old WW2 veteran with a walking stick or a decrept old dear with a zimmer. But there is now a very large number of those in their 60s and early 70s who are in good health - physically and financially. My father-in-law has just retired on a very nice final salary pension (no longer open to new joiners....) and was telling me of all the discounts he gets - free bus pass, reduced leisure centre etc. All subsidised but younger people.

The trouble is whenever you hear about pensioners you immediately conjure up images of some old WW2 veteran with a walking stick or a decrept old dear with a zimmer. But there is now a very large number of those in their 60s and early 70s who are in good health - physically and financially. My father-in-law has just retired on a very nice final salary pension (no longer open to new joiners....) and was telling me of all the discounts he gets - free bus pass, reduced leisure centre etc. All subsidised but younger people.

That's rubbish. Younger people are reaping the benefits of a society built upon the hard work of the preceding generations, many of whom did not live long enough to enjoy an old age.

That generation have had a lot of benefits that mine certainly won't get.

I'm 23, and whilst not advocating totally raiding pensioners, I think it would be fairer if they shouldered at least some of the burden.

The last few years have seen everything dumped on my generation, we are effectively paying for previous generations cock-ups.

No, we're all paying for the profligacy of the preceding Labour government. And pensions are taxed, in cas you've forgotten.

That's rubbish. Younger people are reaping the benefits of a society built upon the hard work of the preceding generations, many of whom did not live long enough to enjoy an old age.

You're exactly right here Whitey, pensioners should be a lot more grateful they are alive as we don't have wars for them to fill their time these days!

And for every one person in that bracket, there is a youngster sitting around on JSA, perhaps claiming child benefits.

Is the free bus pass JUST for retired people or for everyone over the age of 60?

To be honest the bits I've seen all looked pretty positive. Still got people raging on my facebook news feed, although that is to be expected...it's as if people want a government that will deliver a utopian society. Ain't gonna happen.

you have odd facebook friends, why are they not discussing pictures of their lunch and their children?

And for every one person in that bracket, there is a youngster sitting around on JSA, perhaps claiming child benefits.

Is the free bus pass JUST for retired people or for everyone over the age of 60?

Free for everyone over 60. It's cheaper to make it universal than it is to means-test it.

You're exactly right here Whitey, pensioners should be a lot more grateful they are alive as we don't have wars for them to fill their time these days!

I've seen two close colleagues die at 64 and 63 and my wife's sister died at 56.

My mother's 93 and she pays income tax on her modest pension that my father paid extra on his weekly contributions so that she could be a little more comfortable in her old age. Unlike all her friends who didn't save anything and had the state pay for everything.

No, we're all paying for the profligacy of the preceding Labour government. And pensions are taxed, in cas you've forgotten.

How much did it cost for your generation to go to uni?

I came out over £20k in debt, for my little brother that will be nearer £40k.

How much did your first house cost? Probably what I will have to pay as a deposit. Not that anyone my age can get money from banks. Mate of mine has just had to put down £60k deposit on a £200k, run down, shell of a terraced house.

Ha, yeah, young people just sit on benefits blah blah. There is no work for young people. I was out of work for 2 years after getting a 2:1 from a Russell Group uni, taking on various work experience and having several pieces of work academically published. Plenty of the young people out of work want to work, there just simply is not any opportunities for them.

How much did it cost for your generation to go to uni?

I came out over £20k in debt, for my little brother that will be nearer £40k.

How much did your first house cost? Probably what I will have to pay as a deposit. Not that anyone my age can get money from banks. Mate of mine has just had to put down £60k deposit on a £200k, run down, shell of a terraced house.

Ha, yeah, young people just sit on benefits blah blah. There is no work for young people. I was out of work for 2 years after getting a 2:1 from a Russell Group uni, taking on various work experience and having several pieces of work academically published. Plenty of the young people out of work want to work, there just simply is not any opportunities for them.

It was a different world. I had a full grant for university of £400 a year. My first house cost £6395 and we had a 25% deposit because my wife had saved every penny that she earnt. My first job was just over £1000 a year. These are meaningless figures because that was different money from now. Far fewer went to university and in my opinion the expansion in places has been a big mistake. Most youngsters would be far better starting work earlier and earning money in the process. There is plenty of work available but it might not be to everyone's taste, if not, wy are so many flockinh to Britain?

It was a different world. I had a full grant for university of £400 a year. My first house cost £6395 and we had a 25% deposit because my wife had saved every penny that she earnt. My first job was just over £1000 a year. These are meaningless figures because that was different money from now. Far fewer went to university and in my opinion the expansion in places has been a big mistake. Most youngsters would be far better starting work earlier and earning money in the process. There is plenty of work available but it might not be to everyone's taste, if not, wy are so many flockinh to Britain?

Economies of scale in the case of the lower end jobs.

Our crap wages buy quite a bit in Eastern Europe. A lot of Poles have set themselves up back home this way.

How many of those 'flocking to britain' are aged 16-24. So you really think it is just a case of jobs not being to taste? There is a reason that despite unemployment falling, unemployment among young people (16-24) is still rising. I applied for jobs for literally everything, Poundland, bakers, car valeting, cleaning - that's not exactly what I had in mind when applying to go to uni, but I would have done it. I hated being on JSA, the stigma attached, and the condescending, patronising bs you get from the Job Centre. You are treated as a criminal, simply for coming into the job market at the worst time in around 80 years.

People are staying in the workforce longer, and with increased competition for jobs, people are putting a premium experience, which you can't get until someone gives you a chance.

I'm not saying balance the books solely by raiding older people's savings. But they continue to get tax breaks and benefits that simply are not on offer to younger people, yet it is younger people that are hit hardest by a lot of what has been happening over the past few years.

How many of those 'flocking to britain' are aged 16-24. So you really think it is just a case of jobs not being to taste? There is a reason that despite unemployment falling, unemployment among young people (16-24) is still rising. I applied for jobs for literally everything, Poundland, bakers, car valeting, cleaning - that's not exactly what I had in mind when applying to go to uni, but I would have done it. I hated being on JSA, the stigma attached, and the condescending, patronising bs you get from the Job Centre. You are treated as a criminal, simply for coming into the job market at the worst time in around 80 years.

People are staying in the workforce longer, and with increased competition for jobs, people are putting a premium experience, which you can't get until someone gives you a chance.

I'm not saying balance the books solely by raiding older people's savings. But they continue to get tax breaks and benefits that simply are not on offer to younger people, yet it is younger people that are hit hardest by a lot of what has been happening over the past few years.

Tax breaks? What tax breaks are these? Please let me know so that I might take advantage of them if ever I am fortunate enough to retire.

The bankers are the ones who should be shouldering most of the debt burden, not pensioners who have worked and paid tax all their lives, or hard-working people who proportionately pay more tax than bankers and fat cats.

We should also be closing the loopholes exploited by the super rich to avoid paying their fair share.

The bankers are the ones who should be shouldering most of the debt burden, not pensioners who have worked and paid tax all their lives, or hard-working people who proportionately pay more tax than bankers and fat cats.

We should also be closing the loopholes exploited by the super rich to avoid paying their fair share.

Agree the real villains who have ripped of this country for decades have got the general public blaming everything on students pensioners etc .the employed against the unemployed.the great and the good who run the country must love how stupid and gullible the average voter is.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

it's not rubbish at all. you oldies are always moaning that things have gone down hill so we're not even inheriting something that's as good as it was. The pensions of people now retired are being funded by current tax payers - the tax and contributions paid by those retirees has been spent already and wasn't enough anyway - but those deals are no longer available. Current tax payers will pay for their elders and themselves.

edit - not forgetting that the retirement age has also increased and will likely increase further in the future.

Edited by anothersaintinsouthsea

Yes, I think there is a problem in this country re: young vs. old budget balance and the rewards are being reaped now with record youth unemployment whereby money continuously gets ploughed into where the votes are going to come from; and older people vote so politicians are scared to upset them in any way. Youth unemployment is a critical problem, if don't sort it out now in 10 years time we are going have a lost generation of people who have missed out on 10 years of potential skills and career development.

The income tax band increase is huge and will make a big difference to lots of people. Hopefully it can eventually be put up to a level where no one on the minimum wage pays any income tax.

Interesting how this will play out electorally with heartland tories. This is a bonus for low earners but the top-rate band has been lowered hitting middle classes who presumably the Tories see as their target market. Meanwhile the 50% rate has been reduced to 45%.....