Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

And that is the rub :

Should Pimpley go to the wall and proven to have been illegally trading for sometime then the decision for the FA is clear - Brum get a bye into the semi's.

Coventry, Sunderland and ourselves would all have a case to be re-instated and some sort of play-off between the 3 of us is just not feasible.

We could just have a 3 way penalty shoot out against David James to decide it.......

Right. If we are in Blue Square division whatever, are playing absolute ******** even at that level, with zero investment, no ex players who would do a good job at that level and with no apparent hope at all of ever escaping upwards, our absolute bare minimum might be around 5-6k.

In reality, we would almost certainly have good money (at that level) invested from local business and the community, we'd be able to buy good quality players at that level and we'd very soon be playing attractive, winning football.

In this scenario, ground capacity and sensible ticket pricing permitting, we'll pull in somewhere between 8-12k as an educated guess, with more for games against teams at the top of the league and the odd 16-18k for boxing day games and F.A. cup games against higher league opposition.

But I still don't think it will come to that. If it does, we'll survive. Sadly for the more twisted of you on here, I can promise you one absolute copper bottomed certainty- they'll ALWAYS be a Pompey, and however low we go, we WILL come back.......

Surley you'll be playing in front of the 250,000 fans Avram said you had?

No excuse about not fitting them in when you're playing your games on Southsea Common.

You'll probably get good crowds for the Blue Square at the offset when Dinenage is their with the TV cameras telling the world how "great" you all are but they'll soon disappear. If you do well a lot more will suddenly jump out of the woodwork at the end of the season for the 'big' games and at that point you'll no doubt tell the world once again how "massive" the blue few are. :smt023

And that is the rub :

Should Pimpley go to the wall and proven to have been illegally trading for sometime then the decision for the FA is clear - Brum get a bye into the semi's.

Coventry, Sunderland and ourselves would all have a case to be re-instated and some sort of play-off between the 3 of us is just not feasible.

What they could do is ask Coventry if they wish to be reinstated with a bye for the 3rd round. If so, they arrange with Sunderland when would be best to play them. If they are not interested or their schedule is already too full, they can elect to pass and just let Sunderland have the bye... and so on until we either have an opponent for Birmingham or they have the bye.

It means arranging at most two more games before the QF: Cov v Sunderland, followed by the winners v Saints.

Won't happen though... Just idle speculation.

In this scenario, ground capacity and sensible ticket pricing permitting, we'll pull in somewhere between 8-12k as an educated guess, with more for games against teams at the top of the league and the odd 16-18k for boxing day games and F.A. cup games against higher league opposition.

16k in the cup? You only just scraped 10k for an all prem cup tie about 3 weeks ago!

Right. If we are in Blue Square division whatever, are playing absolute ******** even at that level, with zero investment, no ex players who would do a good job at that level and with no apparent hope at all of ever escaping upwards, our absolute bare minimum might be around 5-6k.

In reality, we would almost certainly have good money (at that level) invested from local business and the community, we'd be able to buy good quality players at that level and we'd very soon be playing attractive, winning football.

But I still don't think it will come to that. If it does, we'll survive. Sadly for the more twisted of you on here, I can promise you one absolute copper bottomed certainty- they'll ALWAYS be a Pompey, and however low we go, we WILL come back.......

If you are in the BSL you will at first attract a lot of smpathetic attendees. That will soon wear thin and the crowds will drop dramatically. You are not sure to get the stadium and if so I cant see how you could fund it.It is a hungry animal and the rates and rent will cripple you.Dont forget they will not be part of the skelton you end up with but belong to third parties. To get to play higher league opposition you will have to beat thel ikes of Luton etc and they will have just as good a squad as yours. You may well be playing your games at havant or one of the other small non league grounds. You will NOT get crowds of 16k on boxing day or against higher league opposition in the cup as you cant NOW in the PL.(if you take away the away following)

Many fans will not feel the same about AFCP and so a lot of fans will shrug their shoulders and give football a miss. A proportion will go to SMS ,Brighton ,Chelsea Millwall Reading etc etc to watch a better standard of football. The hardcore who live in that island you live in will of course be stuck with Pompey but after 6 months or so less than 6k will turn up

LOL!! Dear oh dear, you poor deluded fool..........

I'm sure their will be surge for the first month or so (say 7-8k), but that will soon ease off, and before long 2-3k will be the norm. Until you're promoted from the Combined Counties, you'll undoubtedly be the biggest fish in a very small pond.

Whilst there is loads that we dont understand or even know about, the one things that keeps digging at me, is why they never tried the Administration route. The gamble they took going to court was massive and still is. Whatever way you dress it up it looks like a liquidated club is worth more to Chainrai, than one in administration. Whether he gets to keep the ground (I assume he will) just how much is that worth? It can't be close to the 18 million he lent them can it?

Got to be that somehow Chainrai and Gaydamak are better off getting rid of the club. If they go into admin the company still exists and just has to negotiate a rate of pence in the pound. I can only assume that that total would be less than they would get from their pickings from the corpse - which with limited information looks like being a development deal. Knock down Fratton & add Sacha's pockets of ground and you might have the basis for a profitable enterprise. Pompey survive and there's an inconvenient football stadium (of sorts) in the way and some idiot turning up every other Saturday making a bloody racket with a bell.

Alternatively they are taking a gambler's approach and hoping that they can somehow keep all the plates spinning until some billionaire sheikh, oligarch or yank comes calling or a footballing boom makes the club an attractive candidate for a rights issue or similar

would it not be fair to say the timeline when they were brought to task was when it went to court and it was pointed out about their insolvency?

What if they found that they were trading insolvently since the beginning of 2008 (just stick with me here) would it not mean that them winning the FA Cup should be expunged from the record books!

Word of the month "expunged"......it just rolls off the tongue :D

Well firstly (as someone else mentioned) we could be the only club to progress in the cup after actually losing the tie. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would question the legitimacy of our victory if we got all the way to Wembley after losing the game against Portsmouth - even if they later left the competition.

Secondly, I was pointing out that if Portsmouth were to drop out of the cup, there are a few clubs who could request the right to be reinstated - not just us. After all, if they are written completely out of the league table, then why not the cup? If a game against Blackburn in the league is deleted from the record books then why not also the cup game against Coventry?

I have no doubt, that if the skates do go to the wall, the FA will give Brum a bye. However, you said Saints playing Brum would be cheating. It would in no possible way be cheating.. If someone could be @rsed, there would be a very good argument to be made, that having been beaten by a team cheating, their result against us should be declared void, thus putting us through to the next round. The difference between us, Sunderland and Cov, is it would be practical for us to continue in the comp, with minimal disruption to the cup, this would simply not be practical if Cov or Sunderland were involved. Like I say, it'll be Brum getting a bye, but just a bit weird suggesting Saints would be cheating in that situation!

I'd laugh if they said "we'll wipe all scores from the record books from the point you went insolvent... Oh wait. It says you were actually insolvent in 2007. Looks like we have to award the 2008 FA Cup to Cardiff"

Whoa, hang on! Why are you bothered about our 2008 cup win? You all bleat on endlessly about how trophies don't matter, it's ONLY attendances that are the key to a clubs stature.

Yet strangely enough, you're all suddenly excited about reaching the final of the Johnstones-is-crap-paint-but-will-do-if-you-can't-afford-Crown-or-Dulux cup. Maybe it's due to the fact that on proper, major trophies, the score is 4-1 in our favour. Mmmmmm, four-one......:smt033

I am sorry, pfc123, that really is nonsense. You wouldn't get anywhere near that amount.

I think it is time for Pompey staff and fans to stop deluding themselves. Seriously. You should have got real five years ago, instead of believing nonsense like what you wrote above. Then you could have avoided this altogether.

I mean that in the nicest possible way. You are deluded.

Surley you'll be playing in front of the 250,000 fans Avram said you had?

No excuse about not fitting them in when you're playing your games on Southsea Common.

Yeah, could well end up as jumpers for goalposts. Oh hang on, can we afford jumpers anymore? Might have to be dog turds for goalposts, there's plenty of those on the common.....

Cue lots of: "Yer, most of them are wearing blue shirts arf, arf" type replies......

fans are fickle.

The Southsea Common hordes soon disbanded, the full houses are gone, a hardcore will remain in a doomsday scenario but there won't be a huge number.

We had many fans wandering out when the 3rd or 4th goal went in at the weekend, presumably they were the additional 5,000 who hadn't been for a while but will no doubt be posing for the cameras outside Wembley with their picnic hampers and songsheets, in their Wright-Phillips shirts, telling South Today that 'Richard' Lambert is their favourite.

Are we going to manage to take 44K to that but end up with a gate of 20K for the next home game?

You have to accept that not everyone will want to put themselves out and if the club went pop a few people will use that reason to call it a day, their club will have died and any replacement won't be the same.

You can't rely on those fringe supporters, they won't bother going to Havant to watch Athletico Pompey v Kettering on a rainy Tuesday.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves, there is no grim reaper at the door, Pompey is a Prem club heading towards another fa cup win and the future is bright.

For another 28 hours.

16k in the cup? You only just scraped 10k for an all prem cup tie about 3 weeks ago!

Which only goes to show how you didn't read the post properly- I'm talking about the scenario where the lower league club suddenly realises it's on the way back up and all those who said they'd never go again start coming back.

Sound familiar?

If you are in the BSL you will at first attract a lot of smpathetic attendees. That will soon wear thin and the crowds will drop dramatically. You are not sure to get the stadium and if so I cant see how you could fund it.It is a hungry animal and the rates and rent will cripple you.Dont forget they will not be part of the skelton you end up with but belong to third parties. To get to play higher league opposition you will have to beat thel ikes of Luton etc and they will have just as good a squad as yours. You may well be playing your games at havant or one of the other small non league grounds. You will NOT get crowds of 16k on boxing day or against higher league opposition in the cup as you cant NOW in the PL.(if you take away the away following)

Many fans will not feel the same about AFCP and so a lot of fans will shrug their shoulders and give football a miss. A proportion will go to SMS ,Brighton ,Chelsea Millwall Reading etc etc to watch a better standard of football. The hardcore who live in that island you live in will of course be stuck with Pompey but after 6 months or so less than 6k will turn up

Well, you'd like it to be that way wouldn't you? I think you're going to be disappointed whatever happens....

pfc123. You slate the jp trophy and mock the fact we are looking forward to the final.. Yet I can bet you will be on here all singing and all dancing when afc skatesmouth reaches the fa vase or fa trophy final.. You really are a fool.

On another note in non league circles 5k would be about your crowd level, don't you realise about a third of your support Is because you are in the premier league, this will drop the lower down the pyramid you go.

Whoa, hang on! Why are you bothered about our 2008 cup win? You all bleat on endlessly about how trophies don't matter, it's ONLY attendances that are the key to a clubs stature.

Yet strangely enough, you're all suddenly excited about reaching the final of the Johnstones-is-crap-paint-but-will-do-if-you-can't-afford-Crown-or-Dulux cup. Maybe it's due to the fact that on proper, major trophies, the score is 4-1 in our favour. Mmmmmm, four-one......:smt033

Portsmouths trophies in the late 30's and 50's were won by a different club. Portsmouth Football club.

Portsmouth City Football club have won 1 FA cup and so it is 1 trophy each. If you do get wound up it will be AFCP no trophies. You surely would not say MKdons have won the FAcup or the Manchester version of your new club to have won the European cup and CL.

Well, you'd like it to be that way wouldn't you? I think you're going to be disappointed whatever happens....
No i dont want it to be like that but assessing the situation that is what will happen.Without a doubt when we went down quite a few fans would have gone and watched Pompey in the PL. Not all fans are as committed as we are to 1 team.

If SFC had ended up in the BSL we also would have had the same effect on our fanbase and so 10k would have been the most we could have expected, it is human nature. The first few games the novelty will be there after that realism kicks in and you then have to feed off the non league newspaper and wait for Radio Solent non league show after 6 on a saturday. Bournemouth will fill their boots taking your air time.

It will hurt, but you will still have your team, and no doubt much sympathy from the wider media as they tell us what wonderful supporters you are as they slip away and do other things.

It is what so easily happened to us

Next years 'Combined Counties' league table:

Ash United

Badshot Lea

Banstead Athletic

Bedfont

Bookham

Camberley Town

Chertsey Town

Chessington & Hook United

Colliers Wood United

Cove

Croydon

Dorking

Egham Town

Epsom & Ewell

FC Portsmouth

Guildford City

Hanworth Villa

Horley Town

Molesey

Raynes Park Vale

Sandhurst Town

Wembley

At least the skates can look forward to a trip to Wembley next year.;) With such a tasty line up, thousands, maybe tens of thousands will flock to Fratton, I mean Westleigh Park

I have no doubt, that if the skates do go to the wall, the FA will give Brum a bye. However, you said Saints playing Brum would be cheating. It would in no possible way be cheating.. If someone could be @rsed, there would be a very good argument to be made, that having been beaten by a team cheating, their result against us should be declared void, thus putting us through to the next round. The difference between us, Sunderland and Cov, is it would be practical for us to continue in the comp, with minimal disruption to the cup, this would simply not be practical if Cov or Sunderland were involved. Like I say, it'll be Brum getting a bye, but just a bit weird suggesting Saints would be cheating in that situation!

I'm sure if the roles were reversed and Pompey got reinstated and won the cup, we would never let them forget that they lost on the way and that their place in the cup was undeserved.

It would feel to me like we cheated our way into the cup.

Similarly, if we had dodged the 10 point penalty this season on a technicality, I am sure the other teams in the league would feel the same.

Next years 'Combined Counties' league table:

Ash United

Badshot Lea

Banstead Athletic

Bedfont

Bookham

Camberley Town

Chertsey Town

Chessington & Hook United

Colliers Wood United

Cove

Croydon

Dorking

Egham Town

Epsom & Ewell

FC Portsmouth

Guildford City

Hanworth Villa

Horley Town

Molesey

Raynes Park Vale

Sandhurst Town

Wembley

At least the skates can look forward to a trip to Wembley next year.;) With such a tasty line up, thousands, maybe tens of thousands will flock to Fratton, I mean Westleigh Park

If they play their matches on Southsea Common they'll be getting a quarter of a million supporters every game!!

12k in the BQP? **** off!

Ok then, from the scenario I painted originally, i.e. a team in the lower reaches, but on the way back up, how about these examples from Division 4:

Pompey v Bradford 20th Oct 1979. Attendance: 23,871

Pompey v Newport 23rd Oct 1979. Attendance: 20,755

Pompey v Aldershat 1st Jan 1980. Attendance: 23,462

Pompey v Huddersfield 23rd Feb 1980. Attendance: 19,203

Pompey v Walsall 22nd Mar 1980. Attendance: 21,785

Pompey v Boro F.A.cup 9th Jan 1980. Attendance: 31,743

And all the other home games that season range between 10k-15k. Hardly 2-3k is it?

Don't tell me we won't do numbers like that again, because we will....

Ok then, from the scenario I painted originally, i.e. a team in the lower reaches, but on the way back up, how about these examples from Division 4:

And all the other home games that season range between 10k-15k. Hardly 2-3k is it?

But, in the 70s and 80s, there weren't the JCLs around as there are today.

Your glory hunter fans will soon find another club to support, you'll see :)

Edited by bridge too far

You WON'T. You DON'T sell out Fratton Park for Premiership football. Why on earth do you think will you get 10-12k against Dorking Town?

Fact is, your support will not turn up to watch it. You'll get 3-4k, tops. The rest of your pathetic support will go support chelsea or something, much like the 10,00 or so of ours have.

That was the year you got promoted up to Div 3, hardly suprising that your 'fans' crawled out from under their rocks...

...but what happened once you established yourself in a Div 3, yes that's right 2 seasons later, and your home attendance fell to 8,544 (ouch)

pfc123. You slate the jp trophy and mock the fact we are looking forward to the final.. Yet I can bet you will be on here all singing and all dancing when afc skatesmouth reaches the fa vase or fa trophy final.. You really are a fool.

You're damned right we'd be all singing and all dancing, because we know that history and trophies actually mean something. You lot only say it doesn't matter because you've won **** all, end of....

30 years ago? Are you crazy?

It's a different world now.

You might as well try something more recent?

Portsmouth 1 Cambridge 0

5th September 2000

Attendance: 5570

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=290441

Just about as relevant...

To my eternal shame I actually went to that game - it was a cracking atmosphere as I recall. I probably went to one or two of the others although I can't remember which ones for sure. What I do remember, when standing under the South Stand, was all the pіss flowing out of the toilets. Oh and the football - kick and run! absolutely dire.

pfc123

history is not about trophys, yes they are part of it.. but if its all about trophys your lot had only 4 years worth remembering in their 112 year old history.!!

History is about the club its roots, the first game you saw, the ups the downs,fathers taking sons and then the sons in turn taking their sons etc.

So only a sad arsed pompey fan with no real arguement would keep chucking the we won a few more trophys line with out backing it up with other facts.

Where would you play? I'm pretty certain that at Blue Square level you need your own ground. This is what caused the demise of Team Bath.

Portsmouths trophies in the late 30's and 50's were won by a different club. Portsmouth Football club.

Portsmouth City Football club have won 1 FA cup and so it is 1 trophy each. If you do get wound up it will be AFCP no trophies. You surely would not say MKdons have won the FAcup or the Manchester version of your new club to have won the European cup and CL.

Well the glaring flaw in your argument is that:

A) MKdons are not Wimbledon, a fact proved when MK handed over all the pre 2004 trophies to AFC Wimbledon two years ago, as they knew damn well that morally Wimbledon FC is now AFC Wimbledon.

B) FC United clearly is not Manchester United, because Manchester United are still in existance.

On the other hand, don't try telling me that Boro fans think they've been watching a different club since Middlesborough F.C. ltd was replaced seamlessly by Middlesborough 1986 F.C. ltd?

What a ****-poor, desperate attempt to take away our entire history! You know as well as I do that any club reformed would still be Pompey....

You WON'T. You DON'T sell out Fratton Park for Premiership football. Why on earth do you think will you get 10-12k against Dorking Town?

Fact is, your support will not turn up to watch it. You'll get 3-4k, tops. The rest of your pathetic support will go support chelsea or something, much like the 10,00 or so of ours have.

Another one who's failed to actually read the original post. Read the first line again. That first line mirrors exactly the same scenario that you're in at the moment i.e. you've probably hit bottom and are probably on the way back up.

rewind to 1979-80 and for us it was exactly the same scenario, and it will be again if it all goes nuclear........

What a ****-poor, desperate attempt to take away our entire history! You know as well as I do that any club reformed would still be Pompey....

****-poor - maybe.

Desperate - not really.

Accurate - absolutely.

I'm sure 'FC Pompey' wiki page will have a nice heading at the top to keep the two seperate clubs connected though:

"The original Portsmouth FC was an English football club that existed from 1898 to 2010"

I'm sure if the roles were reversed and Pompey got reinstated and won the cup, we would never let them forget that they lost on the way and that their place in the cup was undeserved.

It would feel to me like we cheated our way into the cup.

Similarly, if we had dodged the 10 point penalty this season on a technicality, I am sure the other teams in the league would feel the same.

A very strange way of thinking to say the least :rolleyes:

Unless someone came to the door asking for money - in which case you'd direct them to some poor sap who had bought the old company name. Sorry, you mean Mr. John Portsmouth Football Club W******d. I'm pretty sure he won the cup in 1939 or something. He's got your £60m....

pfc123

history is not about trophys, yes they are part of it.. but if its all about trophys your lot had only 4 years worth remembering in their 112 year old history.!!

History is about the club its roots, the first game you saw, the ups the downs,fathers taking sons and then the sons in turn taking their sons etc.

So only a sad arsed pompey fan with no real arguement would keep chucking the we won a few more trophys line with out backing it up with other facts.

Not many 'facts' in that reply are there? A few soundbites that conjure up the old Hovis advert music and that's about it.....

****-poor - maybe.

Desperate - not really.

Accurate - absolutely.

I'm sure 'FC Pompey' wiki page will have a nice heading at the top to keep the two seperate clubs connected though:

"The original Portsmouth FC was an English football club that existed from 1898 to 2010"

You're going to be sooooo disappointed.......

Not many 'facts' in that reply are there? A few soundbites that conjure up the old Hovis advert music and that's about it.....

WTF is that your way of saying im right and you have no reply!!. not that it would be worth hearing, the amount of bullsh*t you spout, would normaly only be expected from a politician!!

Edited by daveygwyatt

No they haven't.

Anyway, back to the skates. They'll get decent crowds wherever they end up, the novelty value and the chance of winning plenty of games will ensure that. Their problems will come a few years further down the line if they just happen to get stuck down in the lower reaches for a year or two too long, the novelty will soon wear off, largely depends what happens to Fratton in terms of to what extent they can bounce back.

You're not even doing that NOW in the Prem :lol:

Or are you saying that the fourth tier is more of a draw?

You're going to be sooooo disappointed.......

For the sake of the rivalry, I'm actually one of the few left who want to see you survive. Despite you doing the best you can to persuade me otherwise.

27 hours left (at least Storrie hasn't been spending this morning blabbing to the media. If he's not careful people might end up thinking he's actually in Irish-American meetings. Perhaps he's just trying to find the shredder, or learn how to hide cells in Excel.... that'll scupper HMRC's case).

Personally, I'm quite prepared to agree with you that PCFC and the earlier PFC are the same entity in footballing terms. So I wouldn't argue that the earlier trophies and all the history don't belong to Pompey as they are now.

BUT: if Pompey are liquidated, as seems extremely likely, that history ends at that point. Yes, a new team will arise from the devastation, I'm quite certain of that. And, in a sense, it would still be Pompey - hell, it may even be able to call itself Portsmouth FC. But the new club will not be somehow the same as the one that's been liquidated, nor will it have any claim on the history and trophies that the old club had.

As for likely crowds, I agree with many on here - you're being hopelessly optimistic. Had the worst happened to us last summer, and we'd restarted as a new club in the Blue Square somewhere, I wouldn't remotely have expected the kinds of crowds you're talking about for the putative New Pompey.

Edited by Fowllyd

'What a ****-poor, desperate attempt to take away our entire history!'

Er - I think you'll find that a combination of a fairy Storrie featuring Bagpuss, Ali ha-ha & working up to at least forty thieves are doing fine at that by themselves...albeit aided & finally abetted by the HMRC.

It's only a ten year history anyway...why bother about it? AFC Liquidation Cycle next time round?

Well....10k for the 3rd and 4th round of the cup and 16k for what may have been the last ever game at FP - all including away fans. Seems like 3k is about right for a club that you have no affinity with.

Speaking to a sensible pompey fan, he told me how embarassed he was at the 10k for sunderland in the cup... he also pointed out that some tickets were only £5 for that game.... £5 a ticket for prem v prem in fa cup..... and a whopping 10k turn up..... What fantastic fans they are....

Lets forget fratton maybe the need to rent wemberly for their new non league adventure

Have a look at this site, too, PFC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oxford_United_F.C.'s_average_attendances.jpg

It shows the attendances for Oxford United. Note the peak in 1986 when the club was in the old first division. Look at the attendances now. And it is one of the best supported clubs in the BSP.

It's fair to say that in 1986 the club played at the Manor Ground - a lot smaller than the Kassam Stadium - so the attendances in 1986 weren't that impressive.

In fact the old Manor Ground reminds me of FP somewhat :D

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})