How smart are you?

scott_saints

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Part of cake?

try Morceau de gâteau

I found it ironic that "Piece de resistance" is called "Le coup de maître" in French.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I'm not convinced it's meaningless, per se. And I'm not sure it's ironic still.

If it is not meaningless, then the irony fails. If however it is meaningless as a phrase (not just as individual words) then I believe it is ironic.

all the different senses of irony revolve around the perceived notion of ... an expectation of a reality, and what actually happens.

Here I would have expected the phrase to have meant the same in its original language as how we use it.

Hmm, perhaps. I would say that it would be ironic if it had connotations, when used in French, meaning something quite the opposite. The fact that they don't use it in the same way doesn't seem ironic to me. If we used a series of french words to describe something as being used for a purpose other than which it was originally intended, and that meant nothing related in French, maybe then it would be ironic.

My bad. Didn't realise it was the same test that has been done on here before.

I shall make up for it by making up an original subject to talk about in a new thread, like why a MOBO award is allowed to exist, but MOWO isn't.

I'm sure it is allowed, but people just wouldn't be interested in it.

Are Jaffa Cakes biscuits or cakes?

I believe you missed a full stop at the end there, BTF my dear. Also, I feel another comma could have been used in your first sentence.

:D

Absolutely right, my pet. However, did you notice that the missing punctuation marks were replaced with :)?

Did you? Did you?

You see, these darned smileys don't work so well on this forum and I'm always distressed at the thought of spoiling my smileys with a ? or a . or a ,.

Do you get my drift, angel?