Comments From The Bench / General Observations

Gemmel

Sat next to the subs bench on Saturday and heard everything that Pardew was shouting out to the team. His favorite word seems to be "Relax"(Which he must have shouted 1000 times) but during the first half the instruction was simply "Give it to Adam" "To Adam" regardless of who was on the ball. He didn't do it in the second half, but reminded me of how Bally used Le Tissier with the rest of the team. I am a big fan of Lallana but he will need to seriously step up, if that is going to be the tactics.

The free kick goal, was straight off the training ground and he was made up with it - Must have been something they had been working on as there was a bit back slapping amoungst the coaches.

Midway through the second half Wotton chested the ball down to his feet and passed it about 20 yards to the wing. Pardew shouts "Hooray, about blooming time" - may be I wasn't the only person who thought Wotton had a bit of nightmare :D

As lots have pointed out already, it's hard to read to much into friendlies, but having seen most of ours this year, my biggest worry is the shape, because we just haven't got any! Fitness is also an issue and dissapointing to see Thomas cramp up on 70 mins and murty blowing out of his arse after 20 mins, but all things that can be addressed. I'm not one of those who "Can't wait for the season to start" because if i had my way i'd delay it for another month.....were just not ready and will need some decent signings to compete.

Interesting guest there as well, I havent seen him mentioned but Andrew Lloyd Webber was there with his son....may be there was something in the rumours

Nice report!!

That situation regarding the chest down, Well last week at training he constantly stopped play because they was just clearing the ball instead of bringing it down, He used Perry as an example as he threw the ball at chin height to him.

Perhaps that's why he shouted those comments.

Did you notice the deep 7 claps and the hands on the knees???

Did anyone else notice at half-time that, instead of the subs doing their normal kick about, two of them were on the wings and were putting in crosses to Rasiak. He was then heading, volleying or just tapping them into the goal from all angles. After watching that impressive display, it was no surprise when he scored from his first touch.

St Joan,

I saw the same thing, Thompson crossing to Rasiak. The funny thing is he headed a few easy ones wide during half time! Thank god he got those out of his system, his goals were class and unfortunately what we will need this season (i'm assuming he will leave)

St Joan,

I saw the same thing, Thompson crossing to Rasiak. The funny thing is he headed a few easy ones wide during half time! Thank god he got those out of his system, his goals were class and unfortunately what we will need this season (i'm assuming he will leave)

I don't agree that his goals was quality however he has the goal scorers touch which is being in the right place.

His first goal was a simple touch while the 2nd was down to a crap keeper not able to reach properly.

Despite my comments he is the striker we have at the moment.

Sat next to the subs bench on Saturday and heard everything that Pardew was shouting out to the team. His favorite word seems to be "Relax"(Which he must have shouted 1000 times) but during the first half the instruction was simply "Give it to Adam" "To Adam" regardless of who was on the ball. He didn't do it in the second half, but reminded me of how Bally used Le Tissier with the rest of the team. I am a big fan of Lallana but he will need to seriously step up, if that is going to be the tactics.

The free kick goal, was straight off the training ground and he was made up with it - Must have been something they had been working on as there was a bit back slapping amoungst the coaches.

Midway through the second half Wotton chested the ball down to his feet and passed it about 20 yards to the wing. Pardew shouts "Hooray, about blooming time" - may be I wasn't the only person who thought Wotton had a bit of nightmare :D

As lots have pointed out already, it's hard to read to much into friendlies, but having seen most of ours this year, my biggest worry is the shape, because we just haven't got any! Fitness is also an issue and dissapointing to see Thomas cramp up on 70 mins and murty blowing out of his arse after 20 mins, but all things that can be addressed. I'm not one of those who "Can't wait for the season to start" because if i had my way i'd delay it for another month.....were just not ready and will need some decent signings to compete.

Interesting guest there as well, I havent seen him mentioned but Andrew Lloyd Webber was there with his son....may be there was something in the rumours

Pardew is impressed with our fitness - fitness wasn't problem last year

As I have previously said, fitness clearly was an issue last year (at the very least we weren't as fit as we were in the Strachan days. You just have to look at Forest at home to see we weren't as fit as the teams around us.

Hi Nick, I'm certainly no expert, so happy to be wrong, but genuinely feel that a number of indidviduals, don't look "professional sportsman" fit. However if Pardew is happy, then nothing to worry about.

Hi Nick, I'm certainly no expert, so happy to be wrong, but genuinely feel that a number of indidviduals, don't look "professional sportsman" fit. However if Pardew is happy, then nothing to worry about.

Totally agree. It was much the same last year and that's from watching the majority of games.

In Pardew calling out "pass it to Adam" and nobody did then Pardew probably wasn't intending this at all. More likely it would have been a coded message to the players just as his number of claps etc..

Totally agree. It was much the same last year and that's from watching the majority of games.

My view is that Lallana is already LOOKING fitter than last season already. Even Rasiak appears more focussed and willing - and he's probably on his way out.

However, I think there's another factor to this - namely, last season the lads heads had dropped so much that personally they either could not be bothered to demonstrate their fitness or there was a team mentality persisting such that each player thought "if he's not working hard, why should I?"....possibly both.

Something has definately positively affected the mood in the camp and it's probably a combination of better management (AP) and renewed hope for the business that employs them as professionals (ML + NC).

My view is that Lallana is already LOOKING fitter than last season already. Even Rasiak appears more focussed and willing - and he's probably on his way out.

However, I think there's another factor to this - namely, last season the lads heads had dropped so much that personally they either could not be bothered to demonstrate their fitness or there was a team mentality persisting such that each player thought "if he's not working hard, why should I?"....possibly both.

Something has definately positively affected the mood in the camp and it's probably a combination of better management (AP) and renewed hope for the business that employs them as professionals (ML + NC).

Oh definitely. The team lacked direction and purpose last season. Forest had poorer players than us on paper but wanted the ball more. They constantly chased and harried Fitness was a factor though, not sure how anyone could deny that.

exactly how I saw it, would play great (and we often did) for ten mins, its didn't work and heads dropped.

Oh definitely. The team lacked direction and purpose last season. Forest had poorer players than us on paper but wanted the ball more. They constantly chased and harried Fitness was a factor though, not sure how anyone could deny that.

like this - I don't think fitness was our problem last year, I think it was confidence, motivation and character;)

(and Pardew agrees with me not you;)!)

exactly how I saw it, would play great (and we often did) for ten mins, its didn't work and heads dropped.

Ah yes, that missing plan B! All the time some on here were talking about not having a plan B in terms of changing the formation, when really it was all about changing the manner in which the Dutch had coached the kids. How the hell can you do THAT on match day? Well you can't of course, hence once plan A had gone up in smoke (a plan which nobody understood anyway), there was nowhere to go but fail.

It makes my blood boil recalling the rubbish we had to endure last season (and I don't mean the players as such - i.e. IMO on Saturday there was only one poor player - Wotton), but more so knowing that nobody was prepared to change things around.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I realise that Wotton stood out as the worst player on Saturday, because the rest of the team had raised their respective games, leaving Wotton's lack of ability exposed for all to see. Harsh, but true.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
typo

It cant have been easy playing for a club that was going to go into Admin

It cant have been easy playing for a club that was going to go into Admin

To a point. However I would counter that with good solid leadership and management, the TEAM would pull together and make every opportunity count. The incredibly poor management/coaching/tactics were all evident from last seasons pre-season frankly IMO, but at the very least prior to Christmas '08 which is way before administration was announced.

Remember, what we witness on the field of play is skewed forwards from the tactics coached on the training ground. In other words, the players would always have experienced the confusion provided by Lowes 'Dutch experiment' sometime before we witnessed the disaster on match days. This confusion would have been amplified more and more as the season pushed on and results wre not coming our way.

He has been here a week and has assessed the fitness of the players as of the middle of pre-season. That bears little to no resemblance to the majority of last season.

you are right, they must have been a lot fitter before they stopped for summer.

The "give it to Adam" shouts and "it's about bloody time" regarding Wotton worry me a little bit. My flatmate is a Charlton fan and he reckons the main reason Pardew failed at Charlton was that he lost the respect of the players. I doubt that is likely to happen any time soon, especially with such a young squad, but it seems these kind of comments could create rifts in the squad, especially if Pardew starts playing favourites with players that no-one else rates. I pray to God he doesn't bring Luke Varney to Southampton.

The "give it to Adam" shouts and "it's about bloody time" regarding Wotton worry me a little bit. My flatmate is a Charlton fan and he reckons the main reason Pardew failed at Charlton was that he lost the respect of the players. I doubt that is likely to happen any time soon, especially with such a young squad, but it seems these kind of comments could create rifts in the squad, especially if Pardew starts playing favourites with players that no-one else rates. I pray to God he doesn't bring Luke Varney to Southampton.

Burley all over again then...:rolleyes:

Nobody has mentioned the importance of mental fitness - something that is integral should you wish to squeeze that extra 5-10% out of your performance like we did under Strachan.

Late goals being conceded and none being scored in our favour can also be attributed to the mental strain/tiredness of the players just as much as physical fitness.

This is exactly what Pardew may have been referring to when he was telling us about regaining that winning mentality. That's it, a mentality. We could very well be the fittest group of players in the league (and I wouldn't be surprised, we returned earlier than everyone else) but if we're not in the right shape mentally it could go all to pot.

Hence why Pardew is probably happy with the physical fitness and has alluded to the mental shortcomings. In fact, I'm sure identified that problem as soon as he saw the team train for the first time.

Interesting though isn't it ,that such issues were not an obstacle for him at either Reading or West Ham ? (or not until he had Tevez and his mate dumped on him at West Ham anyway).

Not doubting your mate's perception of what went wrong at Charlton,but sometimes these issues are used to explain away a downturn whereas perhaps - taking into account his success elsewhere - the truth is more brutal, ie he inherited a crap squad in decline.

The Calls to "relax" are very similar to Strachan's calls to "be brave". It is just trying to get the players to enjpy and feel comfortable having the ball.

Last year for all the pretty play nobody really got hold of the ball and controled the tempo. I think AP wants us to show our 'class' at this level and dominate games.