Fonte

NickG

Does anybody know how many bookings he got in the first half of the season at Palace ? I.e. is he anywhere near getting 10 before the Charlton game.

He has been booked one for us, and i thought he got close to a second last night but the Ref showed some common sense which alot of others Refs don't.

Equally, are any of the other new players (Dan S or Jason etc) anywhere near 10 booking from their previous clubs ?

Probably, the only game we have lost in 2010 was against Pompey.

I still say the scoreline flattered them a wee bit we were the better team first half still we missed too many chances and paid the price so credit to them, even though it meant nothing in the scheme of things.

We've started keeping more clean sheets with him and Jaidi in the side together, and he's improved us defensively but he's certainly not the classy, cultured, passing centre back people were banging on about when we signed him.

When Fonte has time he can hit a half-competent long pass or a decent square ball, but I think his hair seems to be responsible for most of the "ball-player" stereotyping. :D

Can't fault his commitment, positioning or tackling though, just narks me that people talk so much crap about him having skills he doesn't necessarily have when he brings us plenty as it is.

We've started keeping more clean sheets with him and Jaidi in the side together, and he's improved us defensively but he's certainly not the classy, cultured, passing centre back people were banging on about when we signed him.

When Fonte has time he can hit a half-competent long pass or a decent square ball, but I think his hair seems to be responsible for most of the "ball-player" stereotyping. :D

Can't fault his commitment, positioning or tackling though, just narks me that people talk so much crap about him having skills he doesn't necessarily have when he brings us plenty as it is.

Spot on.

Spot on.

I wouldn't agree with you. He seems to be in the rare breed of center backs that actually look like they have a bit of time on the ball, which is probably due to the fact he can actually control the thing effectively first time(generally). I would therefore consider him to be a good ball player...

I wouldn't agree with you. He seems to be in the rare breed of center backs that actually look like they have a bit of time on the ball, which is probably due to the fact he can actually control the thing effectively first time(generally). I would therefore consider him to be a good ball player...

For a good ball player he certainly has a penchant for leaping first time hoofs back up the field when unchallenged...

I think his ball skills are very good but agree a bit about the passing. The ball playing part comes from the fact he can actually control and trap a ball before passing it. There was a point again Walsall were he controlled it beautifully on his thigh as the striker closed him down then passed it on the ground to Dan Harding to start a counter attack. the Walsall player just turned his back as if to say 'why do I bother?'.

He does lump it up the field a bit but I think Pardew has instructed the back 4 to get the ball up to Lambert ASAP as our attack is so good. Especially at home, this is a great way to keep the pressure on the opposition.

In summery, a great player with ball playing skills and the hair cut to match.

I was thinking this as well. When we need a replacement CB to play alongside him if Jaidi etc are classed as not being up to the job at a higher level, do we buy a skillful CB or a beast! Having watched Fonte in the last few games I think he would benefit from having a cultured CB alongside him as he is the "Beast" of the team!! His reading of the game and positioning are outstanding, especially shown in the block on the line in the last 10mins. Along with Hammond he will give away the momentum stopping halfway line foul, which we haven't done in ages and stops counter attacking in its tracks.

For a good ball player he certainly has a penchant for leaping first time hoofs back up the field when unchallenged...

Agreed. I'm not so sure he is a cultured defender, but he certainly doesn't mind getting tight to strikers - more Svenson than Claus. The unit next to him make a big difference though. Has anyone seen jaidi lose a header this year? My player of the season so far although obviously Lambert will get it.