The Earth - A Couple Of Pictures

St Landrew

Earth is a pretty thing today, decked out in her very best colours.

Beautiful, Saudi Arabia really is a massive country isn't it.

Also maybe a touch off topic, does anybody know the name of the map where the countries are correctly sized by their land mass? I am not sure I made that too clear but I am sure someone will know what I mean. It makes Germany look hugely out of proportion to the rest of Europe.

Also maybe a touch off topic, does anybody know the name of the map where the countries are correctly sized by their land mass? I am not sure I made that too clear but I am sure someone will know what I mean. It makes Germany look hugely out of proportion to the rest of Europe.

Which explains why nobody ever found Al Mirage....:D

Nice pics how much did the camera cost?

One thing I learned about the globe recently is how accustomed we are to seeing North top and South bottom, whereas both poles are equally as deserving as being 'top'. Apparently in Australia it's not uncommon to see globes/maps in upside down mode.

upsidedown.jpg

... and putting the Atlantic Ocean in the middle of the Word Map, instead of the Pacific Ocean.

I think it's Greenland that looks massively out of proportion as it's so far north. I can't remember the name of the chart you are on about, but I know what you mean. When all the countries are drawn to scale, it really does show how massive Africa actually is.

I thought the same with Saudi Arabia too. :D Took one look at the Sinai Peninsula next to it at though feckin' 'ell that's huge.

Also, Saint Francis' map really shows how little land there is in the Southern Hemisphere.

I think you mean the Peter's map:

http://analepsis.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/petersprojection-over.gif

http://www.petersmap.com/

I think Peters map was the one I meant, thanks DS. Must have been some other map where German was the centre of everything, and massive.

Russia as a country has always fascinated me, huge huge huge country in all ways. Could fit England into Russia 151 times, every element in the periodic table can be found in Russia etc etc. Trans-Siberian railway :heart:

When I lived in New Zealand, the TV companies used to show a projection of the globe, as their backdrop, but with NZ in the middle, rather than on the edge [or in some cases I've seen, not there at all].

S-i-P can confirm if they still do. Something like this:

NZ - Equirectangular-projection.jpg

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Nice pictures, but I can't see my house! :confused:

No need; we all know where you live...

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
When I lived in New Zealand, the TV companies used to show a projection of the globe, as their backdrop, but with NZ in the middle, rather than on the edge [or in some cases I've seen, not there at all].

S-i-P can confirm if they still do. Something like this:

That projection is at least 60 years out of date...;)

The Mercator projection gives the best impression of relative sizes of each individual country.

No, it doesn't. All map projections distort the layout of the Earth's surface, because they are attempting to fit a curved surface onto a flat sheet.

Specifically, the Mercator projection exaggerates the size of countries that are far away from the equator.

Greenland, for example, in the Mercator projection, looks like it is as big as Africa - in fact, Africa is about 14 times bigger than Greenland. And so on.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
haha - that'll be it!

it may just be my eyes, but there's a thin layer of haze around the edge, and I'm certain i read somewhere that it's radiation or something :cool:

Well, I'm not sure, but I recall hearing somewhere that the Earth is surrounded by something called an atmosphere...

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
haha - that'll be it!

it may just be my eyes, but there's a thin layer of haze around the edge, and I'm certain i read somewhere that it's radiation or something :cool:

Well, I'm not sure, but I recall hearing somewhere that the Earth is surrounded by something called an atmosphere...

One thing I learned about the globe recently is how accustomed we are to seeing North top and South bottom, whereas both poles are equally as deserving as being 'top'. Apparently in Australia it's not uncommon to see globes/maps in upside down mode.

upsidedown.jpg

I am studying a course that contains a large amount of human geography so have seen more maps then hot dinners (not difficult as a student in all fairness) but the most commonly used maps are still the traditional North top maps. At least is Sydney and Newcastle that is.

That's just Green peace propaganda to stop us polluting the so call atmosphere. It's all make believe, just like goblins, wizzards, eskimos and Pompey's new owner.