Thailand.

Crab Lungs

It sounds like you are going to be staying in safe areas, so could probably get away without needing any injections.

However, the World Health Organisation's (very OTT) vacination advice is:

Adult diptheria and tetanus booster (if none in last 10 years)

Hep A (12mth booster)

Hep B (take 3 shots over 6 months before travel - or last minute rapid schedule)

MMR (unless you have previously had them)

Polio (no reported cases in region ; only one booster required in lifetime)

Typhoid

Varicella (if you haven't had chicken pox)

For longer trips, and to riskier areas (i.e. aways from the city lights), consider: Japanese B encephalitis, Meningitis, Rabies & TB

Oh, and then you need to think about anti-malaria tablets

CL have taken customers, employees family and even me Mum there.

Unless you are going off the beaten track anti-malaria meds will make you feel awful.

You could be unlucky but in the main resorts you are as likely to get Dengue Fever from a bite as Malaria. Do take a decent DEET based insect repellant though. We've gone on average twice a year for the past 8 years in different formats, the two really big problems we have had have been The Sh1ts and A/C Flu.

For the first Immodium is no good Ecrefuryl can be bought there or Motillium from your quack in UK. Pocari Sweat & Gatorade available everywhere for fluids. For A/C Flu Clarinase or at a puch Claritine or any similar medication which you can buy over there.

Basic jabs you would have for the UK are fine just make sure you are up to date. IF you insist on eating from trolleys at the side of the road then you run the higher risk of Parasites & Hep C.

The other critical rule (even when with family) is no kissing. The Ladyboys see a guy and his wife and think it funny to come up and do a Wayne pic or snog/grope you.

Keep away from Body Fluids in any environment.

Just be sensible - It isn't blighty but it is brilliant for holidays

And for your posh dinner in Bangkok or at a push in Pattaya visit Cabbages & Condoms. None better and all for charity

And for your posh dinner in Bangkok or at a push in Pattaya visit Cabbages & Condoms. None better and all for charity

The heavens opened last time I was in Bangkok's C&C, everyone outside got drenched. Good food though, just forget about the morning glory - overrated IMO.

OK, its my first trip there. Visiting Koh Sumet (sp?), Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai... what injections do I need/ are recommended? :-o

friendly, helpful advice please. :)

Koh Sumui is very good. But a word of warning, if someone can tell me how to upload an image I will show you the fish and chip shop to avoid!!

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/picture.php?pictureid=343&albumid=63&dl=1268196643&thumb=1

Any help in improving image greatly received!

Edited by positivepete
add image

Thailand is the 9th most likely place to have a terrorist attack and is currently on high alert....

Only really the southern most provinces adjecent to Malaysia are dangerous though. The only other hot spots are the Shan camps along the Burmese border, and confrontations with the Cambodian military along their border... the majority of the country seems to be very safe.

Wow, thanks for all the replies - seems like there is plenty of people that have experienced the delights of Thailand already. I'm definitely a bit apprehensive, being a Thai virgin 'n' all. I've been hearing some very funny yet also very terrifying stories and I've done about of research on the places I'm visiting - but its always nice to get recommendations :)

Out of interest, how much is said procedure costing and what does it involve?

A lot cheaper and than the UK and US - plus they have two US accredited specalist transplant doctors - and if they're recognised in America for their work and recommended on hair loss forums - that'll do for me :)

Oh, sorry, cost... well, I'm having my temples done and hairline restructured... it's around 2,000 grafts which are costing max $3,200.

This is a similar thing I am having done:

bastahcnta.jpg

I've done my research and this doctor is pretty damn sound, good reputation and good results. I've learnt after months of research that there is plenty of surgeons out there who are willing to take your money but their results are poor.

This guy, along with Dr Pathomvanich in Bangkok are very good - and, of course, a lot cheaper than doing it in Europe or Americas.

You cant be going bald as its a sure sign of too much testosterone and therefore high virility, and going by your posts i alwas found you a bit girly (-; I on the other hand am nearly completely bald!

I am very, very, very girly to be honest when it comes to appearance and things like that. I've got a toiletries cabinet that would probably shame not only the male population but the female population as well!

crablungs2.jpg

crablungs.jpg

crablungs5.jpg

This is what you will look like for the next 4 weeks after the hair transplant, be very careful not to get an infection in the scalp or you may end up like John Merrick, all the best, good luck, make sure the needles are clean and the whores are filthy, over & out.

You cant be going bald as its a sure sign of too much testosterone and therefore high virility, and going by your posts i alwas found you a bit girly (-; I on the other hand am nearly completely bald!

No it isn't. That's a myth.

It's how your body reacts to just the same levels of testosterone as everyone else has.

Your scalp is basically just super-sensitive to a derivative of testosterone in your body called DHT. Virility isn't lnked at all, in fact many races with lower baldness incidence have high birth rates.

One last thing - you didn't say when you arrive.

There is a massive protest in Bangkok this weekend - all football matches are cancelled and martial law is in place - so you do not want to be arriving in the next 4 - 7 days.

See bangkokpost.com or nationmultimedia.com or just drop me a line for any more details,

Personally I wouldnt do the hair transplant thing. It might look good for a few months or even years but the hair around the transplant will probably continue to fall out, so you can end up with an Alice Band of hair across the front of your hairline and nothing behind it. Then if you shave your head to look uniform all the scars will show up. If Minoxidil (sold as Regaine) doesnt work, I'd live with it and spend the $3,200 having the time of a lifetime in Thailand.

One last thing - you didn't say when you arrive.

There is a massive protest in Bangkok this weekend - all football matches are cancelled and martial law is in place - so you do not want to be arriving in the next 4 - 7 days.

See bangkokpost.com or nationmultimedia.com or just drop me a line for any more details,

We're arriving in BKK this weekend - good timing!! We're staying Sukhumvit Rd way, we should be fine here shouldn't we?

Did you go to KES?

Rest assured, I won't be throwing any poop around during my stay.

Not if I can help it, anyways. ;)

I'm travelling out on the 19th April, arrive 20th. Doing a whirlwind tour before heading off to Chiang Mai for my HT and then returning to Bangkok for the last leg of the journey. I expect by then I won't be doing much at all with a painfully sore head :(

As for not getting an HT... I did consider it but I as the recession is at the temples (MPB) and there is only slight recession at the front I deduced that I probably won't end up with the situation you described. That said, I am consulting with my doctor when I arrive in Chiang Mai and have already requested that he 'thicken' that area anyway - which is part of my projected cost.

Spunked most of my cash away already on the HT, the hotels (my good friend who is accompanying me does like to travel in luxury :-o) and I've a little cash for the other things considered necessities - food, drink, kathoeys ;) Who knows, if my friend reneges on his promise to finance me on the last leg, who knows, I might end up having to work the streets of Pattaya. I should be ok though, right? I'm pretty feminine after all ;)

Seriously though... thanks for all the information and to have everyone who has contributed - there is no substitute for first-hand knowledge!

Rest assured, I won't be throwing any poop around during my stay.

Not if I can help it, anyways. ;)

I'm travelling out on the 19th April, arrive 20th. Doing a whirlwind tour before heading off to Chiang Mai for my HT and then returning to Bangkok for the last leg of the journey. I expect by then I won't be doing much at all with a painfully sore head :(

As for not getting an HT... I did consider it but I as the recession is at the temples (MPB) and there is only slight recession at the front I deduced that I probably won't end up with the situation you described. That said, I am consulting with my doctor when I arrive in Chiang Mai and have already requested that he 'thicken' that area anyway - which is part of my projected cost.

Spunked most of my cash away already on the HT, the hotels (my good friend who is accompanying me does like to travel in luxury :-o) and I've a little cash for the other things considered necessities - food, drink, kathoeys ;) Who knows, if my friend reneges on his promise to finance me on the last leg, who knows, I might end up having to work the streets of Pattaya. I should be ok though, right? I'm pretty feminine after all ;)

Seriously though... thanks for all the information and to have everyone who has contributed - there is no substitute for first-hand knowledge!

Or for having your own hair.

I can't believe you're doing this, I really can't.

Just get a picture of a pen15 tattooed onto your forehead and no-one will ever notice your supposedly receding hairline.

And waste the money in Thailand on... um... other things,

I can't believe his doing this, I really can't.

Just get a picture of a pen15 tattooed onto your forehead and no-one will ever notice your supposedly receding hairline.

LOL, you can't? Really? C'mon, you know me... I'm a bit extreme if I get my mind set on something :-o

By the way, tried the pen thing.... got half way through and the ink ran out.

[

Just one last bit for Bangkok, putting my tour organiser hat on

I do the same trip every time I go and everyone loves it even when they have done it 2 or 3 times before as well.

Take the Sky Train to Saphan Thaksin (Silom Line) Walk to the Pier and HAGGLE to rent your own Long Tail Boat. You should start by offereing them 30% of what they quote you first for One hour Canal (Klong) Trip

May cost around 20 to 30 quid but make sure LONG TAIL, not slow boat.

Tell them Floating Market, Feed Fish, Snake Farm, Wat Arun, and finish at Grand Palace. Takes about 1 hour without snakes and 1.5 with.

Floating Market is a tiny canoe full of overpriced krap, but you buy a couple of beers each (and one for driver). The ride is a whole side of BKK and the world that tourists don't often see.

You stop at a Wat and pay 15 baht for a couple of loaves of bread and feed the fish. You will never see anything like it these monsters you could walk across the backs of. Snake Farm (hate snakes never been kids enjoyed don't get too close to jumping Cobras though)

Wat Arun very decorative & Peaceful climbing up is easy but coming down .... (there is a landing fee there and Grand Palace of aro 20 baht)

Stop and get off at Grand Palace jetty walk through the street vendors and go see Emerald Buddha & The Palace. (Closes early around 3pm and don't wear shorts above the knee or sleeveless T-Shirts)

Then Tuk Tuk back to hotel or down to Chinatown Sampeng Lane is a crazy hot overcrowded mess but fun.

Now THE single MOST important point in Bangkok.

Do NOT put your wallet in your Cargo Pants pocket UNLESS it has a ZIP, a street kid can undo the buttons and be out with it in a half a second and you'll never see them. Always leave your main wallet in the hotel safe and take ID (Driving Licence) and ONE credit card or ATM when you go out.

Awesome day out Lonely Planet helps. And when buying T Shirts from street vendors just because it say 100% Cotton it won't be - check it carefully yourself you can get fecking sweaty in polyester there!

(Dry Fit golf shirts are brilliant)

njoy

We're arriving in BKK this weekend - good timing!! We're staying Sukhumvit Rd way, we should be fine here shouldn't we?

Did you go to KES?

I don't want to be alarmist but please do be very careful. There is a lot of tension in Bangkok and there are military checkpoints around Sukhumvit especially. A large supply of ammunition was 'stolen' from a Thai army base a couple of weeks ago which has added to the paranoia.

Do be careful if you are going near Democracy Monument (near Khao San Rd), Victory Monument, Siam Paragon or Rajdomeoen (the Thai Boxing stadium).

I'm sure you'll have a great holiday but just ask ahead before you go anywhere.

I'm afraid I've no idea what KES is :-) A school?

For any Thailand first timers, do not take a taxi that refuses to use the meter or tells you it's broken. Don't believe anyone who tells you the grand palace is closed and suggests another venue, don't go with any taxi drivers who give you a ridiculously cheap quote to go somewhere (they will take you a tailor or go go bar first and get commission) and unless you enjoy offending the locals, don't kiss in public.

I second Dubai Phil's suggestion for a good tour, though IMHO it would take a bit longer to see those sites properly.

I don't want to be alarmist but please do be very careful. There is a lot of tension in Bangkok and there are military checkpoints around Sukhumvit especially. A large supply of ammunition was 'stolen' from a Thai army base a couple of weeks ago which has added to the paranoia.

Do be careful if you are going near Democracy Monument (near Khao San Rd), Victory Monument, Siam Paragon or Rajdomeoen (the Thai Boxing stadium).

I'm sure you'll have a great holiday but just ask ahead before you go anywhere.

I'm afraid I've no idea what KES is :-) A school?

For any Thailand first timers, do not take a taxi that refuses to use the meter or tells you it's broken. Don't believe anyone who tells you the grand palace is closed and suggests another venue, don't go with any taxi drivers who give you a ridiculously cheap quote to go somewhere (they will take you a tailor or go go bar first and get commission) and unless you enjoy offending the locals, don't kiss in public.

I second Dubai Phil's suggestion for a good tour, though IMHO it would take a bit longer to see those sites properly.

Yep, sorry, the canal boat can be done in about an hour/1.5 if you get out at the snake farm OR Wat Arun (my bad) but the Grand Palace needs a good two hours to properly soak up the atmosphere.

OK, its my first trip there. Visiting Koh Sumet (sp?), Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai... what injections do I need/ are recommended? :-o

friendly, helpful advice please. :)

I went to Bangkok late 2008 and i did not need anything,

Try the tuk-tuks ( i think thats how you spell it) in bangkok, they will take you around the sights very cheaply but will take you around 3 shops as well (as they get fuel etc for showing people around),they wait outside for you. my advice is go into the shop say you have,nt any money ask for a business card and that your be back tomorrow you then can walk out in 5 mins you dont get the hard sell the driver gets his fuel.

Go to the Grand palace,

And watch out for the lady boys, some you cant tell apart from the real thing and some could pass for some off pompey's finest.

THe worst one was from behind looked stunning but when he/she turned around had a 40" hairy chest,

People are friendly and helpful,

Enjoy.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally flew out on May 9th after rescheduling 3 times. I was pretty non-plussed about going beforehand, but my word, how that has changed now.

I've always considered myself quite worldly and cultural but nothing prepared me for experiencing Thailand!

From the moment I saw my first "Arry Monk" and indulged in my first tentative Wai I was hooked. What an incredible place full of incredible people!

The first five days we spent in Chiang Mai in the north, which is an incredibly vibrant University City. The first two days were spent relaxing, understandably after a marathon journey to the country. However, we did go out every night to sample the local nightlife and was not disappointed. Thankfully, Chiang Mai appears to be relatively unfounded by Westerners as of yet so we had a fantastic time immersing ourselves with the local culture as well as the partying with the very friendly locals. I was astounded to find out the respect the Thai's all showed eachother as well as the vast cultural differences such as having a drink and not fighting, politeness, chivalry towards women and care/attentiveness. Western society has a f()cking lot to learn!

The highlights in Chiang Mai had to be being fondled by a gaggle of university girls, the sights over Chiang Mai from the temple and one fantastic waitress Faa, who was mesmerising and almost single-handedly convinced me Thai women are the way forward. ;)

From Chiang Mai we flew to Pattaya via Bangkok. Pattaya was a ****ing god awful place. Surrounded by sex tourists, perverts, paedos and wrong-un's, I flipped out emotionally and lasted 3 hours (we were meant to be there four nights) and moved outside the city and stayed at the Ravindra. Met up with a friend's friend who runs a guest house out there and managed to go to Koh Samet for a day (****ing hell the scooter ride to the main island's harbour was an experience no handed!) and had a boat trip around the island with food, fishing, snorkelling and visiting the fish farm a highlight. Didn't venture into Pattaya again as I didn't want to see the exploitation of these wonderful people so stayed outside and went to all the cultural places around (more temples, restaurants and went to the places the Thai's went to) and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

The final sojourn was Bangkok but we arrived on the day that was acclaimed 'Battle Of Bangkok' last wednesday. Sadly, the curfew was imposed for the duration of the stay but we managed to get out and about during the day and experience the water taxi's and many of the local sights that were not closed off due to the troubles. Had a river view corner suite at the Chatrium Suites with a fantastic view of BKK - highly recommended. The only let down were the rude and obnoxious Iranians staying there... what a bunch of w4nkers they were.

The hair op was off also so I had plenty of money in my pockets, not that I needed it because everything was so cheap anyway! Whilst we did do some decidedly tourist-like things but the real fun was sampling and indulging in the locals customs and culture. I was astounded the attention I was afforded in every place I visited by the women and to be fair, the men also (which I took as a compliment) and loved how open and accepting the Thai culture is.

There were definitely many amusing moments, from meeting a gaggle of dumb germans in Chiang Mai who asked where the european women were (Er, what? 1, they're in europe and 2, why the **** would you go to Thailand for western women and 3, how could anyone not fall in love with the exotic women over there!?)

After that strange exchange, they did seem be fairly normal guys as we discussed current affairs and our respective countries and cultures. That was, until the most quiet german popped up with this gem:

"We have hooligans in our country, too. We call them Jews"

:-o

We were astounded and asked him to repeat what he said but he refused and they soon slunk off. Bizarre. Not much changed after 70 years then! :-o

Meeting someone from Holbury at the Chiang Mai waterfalls was also incredible - what were the odds?

Being stalked by ladyboys in BKK was amusing and being stopped in a temple continuously by a group of girls to have my pictures taken with all of them over and over again was also a great ego-massage. I have to say, I did enjoy walking around each area on my own and being pointed, stared, gawped and smiled at. ;)

Oh and when you buy a drink in Chiang Mai, you don't buy a single drink, you buy a bottle for a group. And if you don't finish it, you get to take it home, incredible :)

From the clicking heels to saluting security guards and officials, wai's from locals to the graceful, gliding women of Thailand, it was an incredible cultural experience. I will be returning for my bride in one approximately years time. :)