Who's our emergency keeper?

doddisalegend

I picked this up from the BBC on the Derby-Reading match and thought it was quite amusing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8563350.stm

To be fair Savage made a couple of good saves. It got me thinking though who would be our emegency keeper in this situation? Of course it's rare that an out field player has to go in goal so I don't know if the players just agree on the spot or if the manager has a plan in place for this sort of thing.

My first thought was to stick Lambert in goal becuase he's big and would probably take a good goal kick but then I thought Papa might be good for the comic value;) anyone know the answer though do we have someone for these situations?

Edited by doddisalegend

Hopefully since the Blackstock fiasco they have someone prepared as an emergency keeper, not just having the team choose one by bullying one of the youngest and weakest on the field to get the job that no-one wants! But I doubt if they have learned their lesson.

I think the rules should change so that a team is allowed 3 subs PLUS a goalie sub. In Derby's case it would have made no difference, but Saints were unfairly penalised when Blackstock had to go on against Newcastle in the cup to replace the injured Bart: Saints had used all their subs (some due to injuries, not tactical), so couldn't bring on a sub goalie, so were forced to play with 10 men and a non-goalie in goal.

Hopefully since the Blackstock fiasco they have someone prepared as an emergency keeper, not just having the team choose one by bullying one of the youngest and weakest on the field to get the job that no-one wants! But I doubt if they have learned their lesson.

I think the rules should change so that a team is allowed 3 subs PLUS a goalie sub. In Derby's case it would have made no difference, but Saints were unfairly penalised when Blackstock had to go on against Newcastle in the cup to replace the injured Bart: Saints had used all their subs (some due to injuries, not tactical), so couldn't bring on a sub goalie, so were forced to play with 10 men and a non-goalie in goal.

I have to agree, the thing is it sort of ends the game as a competetive match when one team is forced to put a non-goalie in goal. Time to get in the ultimate utility player someone who can play in goal and all the out field postions equally well don't know if such a person exsits mind you.

I have to agree, the thing is it sort of ends the game as a competetive match when one team is forced to put a non-goalie in goal. Time to get in the ultimate utility player someone who can play in goal and all the out field postions equally well don't know if such a person exsits mind you.

Phil Jagielka.

You beat me to it. Hell of a player, shame about his injury, way he had been playing looked a good shout for the World Cup Squad. IMO City went in for the wrong centre-back in Jole(cling)on Lescott

Agree with all of that... Jagielka is back playing for Everton and should hopefully be bang in form for the world cup. Terry and Ferdinand have to be first choice but neither are exactly dependable and Jagielka should be next in line.

Well thats the chance you take if you use up all your subs before the final whistle, everybody knows the rules plus Dexter looked good in those over large gloves he had on ;)

When fit and playing, IMO the emergency keeper would be Murty. Reads the game well, and is a big guy. It also wouldn't be weakening the team as much as sticking Lambert in goal would.

Without Murty in the team, then I'd plump for Morgan. He's not going to score anyway, might as well utilise him in a position which goals for a non-goalscorer! (Love you Morgan...)

You want somebody who is commited and is actually going to throw themselves into it. Would be Hammond for me.

Don't agree with those saying there should be an extra sub available for this, if you use all your subs this is the risk you take. I love it when outfield players have to go in goal, makes you realise how good professional keepers are too.

You want somebody who is commited and is actually going to throw themselves into it. Would be Hammond for me.

Don't agree with those saying there should be an extra sub available for this, if you use all your subs this is the risk you take. I love it when outfield players have to go in goal, makes you realise how good professional keepers are too.

You seem to be assuming that use of subs is always tactical. What if some or all of the subs were used because of injuries? I do remember that the third (at least) of Saints subs against Newcastle came on because of an injury (before Bart got injured). And so we ended up with 9 outfield players, a non-goalie in goal, and a healthy goalie on the bench. Game over, and a "punishment" that did not fit the crime.

What harm is there having 3 outfield subs, plus one separate goalie sub spot? And if your goalie gets sent off then the goalie sub can still come on for an outfield player.