Pardews 2010/11 Season Dilemma

spyinthesky

Does he put out his best side in all 4 competitions and possibly end up with a fall from grace after a successful Cup run (a la dirty Leeds), or does he field weakened side in the Cups and concentrate on the League?

Guess he will have to agree targets with Cortese pre season but I think we all know where NC's priorities lie

On the assumption that we don't sneak into the play-offs this season and achieve promotion then I think that Pardew's priority will be automatic promotion. Anything less and I believe Cortese will look for a replacement by the end of the 2010/11 season.

Well if you look at this season with cup tied players etc, we havn't exactly fielded are strongest 11 anyway. On top of that, Pards made it very clear at the Start of the Season that he wanted us saints fans to have a day out in Wembley. He delivered, and by his own remarks, he knows what needs to be done next season. Then with NC stating that he wants 40% of the first team coming from the Academy, no better way than to give them a run out with some of the experienced players.

We won't go all out to win the JPT next season. It is a trophy quite often won by L2 clubs for that very reason - Luton and MK won it as fourth tier clubs in the last couple of seasons.

Pardew won't say it, but JPT will no way be on the agenda next season.

We won't go all out to win the JPT next season. It is a trophy quite often won by L2 clubs for that very reason - Luton and MK won it as fourth tier clubs in the last couple of seasons.

Pardew won't say it, but JPT will no way be on the agenda next season.

Though it would be quite nice to be the first team to win it in successive years ;-)

Does he put out his best side in all 4 competitions and possibly end up with a fall from grace after a successful Cup run (a la dirty Leeds), or does he field weakened side in the Cups and concentrate on the League?

Guess he will have to agree targets with Cortese pre season but I think we all know where NC's priorities lie

The league, IMHO, is all that matters next season.

I agree, but with the squad we will/should have we could probably win it (JPT) with the reserves.

JPT rules require participating clubs field there strongest team/most frequent players?

Which can be overcome through 'injuries' i guess to an extent.

I'd like us to do it Arsenal style and give young players and those outside of the matchday squad get a run out...

Well the sorry state of modern football means the cups aren't a priority for people anymore all that matters is reaching the promised land of mid-table obscurity in the EPL.

Gone are the days when the cups where big trophies, chairmen, fans and managers are all more interested in the leagues now days:(. To be honest I think there is some merit in what AP says about going out to win every match no matter if it is a cup match or a league match winning games is a good habit to have.

I love cup competitions, in general the matches are always more memorible and more action packed becuase you have to win you can't play for a point. Having said that I except most on here (and NC) don't see it that way and the league is more important to them I just thinks it's a shame that people want to discard the cups so easily.

For Christssake, is this even a vaguely debateable issue ?

Even if we go up this season, next season will be about promotion to the PL.

I do believe that AP has made it clear this season that his philosophy is to field the best team he can for every game, regardless of whether it's a cup game or league game.

Based on the idea that it's better to keep the momentum going - to build that "winning mentality", than to damage it by slacking off for a cup game.