The playoffs aint done yet

alki_in_korea

You better believe that it is still on. Colchester are on a terrible run, and even though we are not setting the league on fire. Only a few games ago (I think 4) we were 16 points behind with no games in hand. Now we are 11 behind with 1 game in hand.

Of course we still need to make up this gap, but I really do think we will still sneak in even with a loss and a drawI think I am being kind to Colchester as they are terrible.

I have us getting in by goal difference, but we will see. We are lucky to still be just about in it with other teams slipping up, but as long as the gap does not get wider again we are still in with a shout until there are not enough points.

COYR!!!

Results seem to keep going our way. If Huddersflid lose tomorrow then yesterdays point was 1 gained rather than 2 lost. But weve still got to learn to win away at this difficult places which I cant see us doing. That said we have 3 aways games to go and 5 home games.

Results seem to keep going our way. If Huddersflid lose tomorrow then yesterdays point was 1 gained rather than 2 lost. But weve still got to learn to win away at this difficult places which I cant see us doing. That said we have 3 aways games to go and 5 home games.

People forget we went to Norwich and outplayed them 2-0. Short memories on this Forum.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks we can make up 11 points in 8 games seriously needs their head looking at. We've been around this far off the playoffs all season. What makes you think the 4 teams above us are all going to completely collapse now? Or that Saints will win all their games?

Sorry, but anyone who thinks we can make up 11 points in 8 games seriously needs their head looking at. We've been around this far off the playoffs all season. What makes you think the 4 teams above us are all going to completely collapse now? Or that Saints will win all their games?

come Monday it might be 8 points with 7 and a game in hand!! U never know

Just done the BBC predictor thing again. Like alki in Korea says, Colchester are on a poor run but Huddesfield are far better placed than us. By my reckoning I think we will be painfully close finishing 7th.

Just done it myself and have us on 73 and huddersfield on 75 with one game left....

Colchester are out of it imo.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that we actually need to win 11 games on the spin to go up. - Including the 2 legs in the play offs, so the equation may change slightly.

Hudderfield worry me, if we lose out it will be to them IMO. Assuming, of course, that we win 8 games first.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that we actually need to win 11 games on the spin to go up. - Including the 2 legs in the play offs, so the equation may change slightly.

Hudderfield worry me, if we lose out it will be to them IMO. Assuming, of course, that we win 8 games first.

You just have to win *over* two legs, though. If we get that far, we'll be on such a run that I'd back us against anyone at that stage. There's no point worrying about anyone else at this stage, since the slim chance we have almost certainly rests on us having to win all our remaining games.

Charlton are the only team above us who we are still ro play (+10 points), and that's at home so although I would be happy with the JPT and a decent run-in I don't think it's over just yet. A win on Monday other results going our way would put us right in the mix again imho although tbf we haven't actually been 'in the mix' at all so far, I do think that we could worry those above us if we could just stop losing points against the odds.

You just have to win *over* two legs, though. If we get that far, we'll be on such a run that I'd back us against anyone at that stage. There's no point worrying about anyone else at this stage, since the slim chance we have almost certainly rests on us having to win all our remaining games.

Are you 'Vince' who was slightly jolly on the tube from Baker Stret last Sunday, singing songs and being told off by your sober mates? If so, can I have my baloon back please?

Are you 'Vince' who was slightly jolly on the tube from Baker Stret last Sunday, singing songs and being told off by your sober mates? If so, can I have my baloon back please?

Not guilty to any of that, apart from the "slightly jolly" bit.

Just when you think its all over, things happen and change your mind.. Ive been through far too many relegation battles when staying up looked impossible and we've stayed up to never write us off..

So while its still mathematically possibly, you have to believe, the manager, the players, and us the fans... yes of course its going to be a long shot and it will take something special, but football is a funny old game and anything can happen with belief.

I think things will be alot clearer by 5pm next Saturday.. and if we are within 6/7 points by then, I wouldnt write us off sneaking in...

Keep believing!

I have already posted comments similar to many of those on this thread in the Brighton match thread, here: http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21444&page=11#502.

My view is that it is highly unlikely that we will do it, but by winning every game it MAY be possible. As I commented yesterday, a loss for Colchester today would be another step in the right direction and that is indeed what has happened. In fact, looking at my predictions from 2 weeks ago, I cannot see Colchester scoring more than 75 points this season. If anything I think they may get less than that. Consequently they are more than catchable.

More tricky will be catching Huddersfield or Charlton. At present I have Huddersfield down to get 76 points and Charlton 78. If this is right we would need at the very least to win all but one of our remaining games, drawing the other one, but preferably we would need to win the lot.

As, I said, it's highly unlikely, but at the same time, it is that which we need to try to roar the team on towards. Like they say 'It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings!'

:)

If we win every game, we will finish in the play-offs. However, we won't. It is not dead yet, however, the run-ins of Bristol Rovers, Colchester, Huddersfield and MK Dons are far more difficult than ours. Finishing outside of the play-offs is not yet a foregone conclusion, but consistency hasn't been our strength this season. We can do it, we ought to do it, but I don't think we shall. Hope, though, should not be lost. Though when we next drop points, hope will finally be extinguished.

Winning 6 from 8 would be a good achievement, 7 from 8 would be amazing for any manager or team.

8 from 8 is never going to happen, not under this sort of pressure.

Time to give in and just enjoy the season, yesterday was a good result from a pretty poor performance, if certain people on here weren't so hung up on our almost impossible chance at the play-offs they wouldn't get so uptight about results.

if certain people on here weren't so hung up on our almost impossible chance at the play-offs they wouldn't get so uptight about results.

Isn't it Pardew that keeps spouting off about us reaching the playoffs?

Winning 6 from 8 would be a good achievement, 7 from 8 would be amazing for any manager or team.

8 from 8 is never going to happen, not under this sort of pressure.

Time to give in and just enjoy the season, yesterday was a good result from a pretty poor performance, if certain people on here weren't so hung up on our almost impossible chance at the play-offs they wouldn't get so uptight about results.

agree with this...

the last few games (more so away) have shown stuttering form...what on earth would be go on a run now and win 8 out of 8..?

it simply will not happen..time to count now as the start of pre season (to be sure there can be no excuse next year;))

Looking at the scores today the silly season has started, where teams in the top positions suddenly get the jitters and have their poor run. We've had ours long ago.

If, and it's a big if, we can win six and draw one , ie drop 5 points, I reckon we may be 7th.

With a bit of luck with other teams results this could be 6th.

wannabe mod ;)

Thank you.

Could be us next year (Norwich). Best team in the division, expected to win everything, go to somewhere like Tranmere and get stuffed!

I can well imagine some of the comments on here if & when that happens.

No team has got a god given right to win all the time, a lot of people on here have obviously not played the game.

It is relavant ... + 12 months!

Looking at the scores today the silly season has started, where teams in the top positions suddenly get the jitters and have their poor run. We've had ours long ago.

If, and it's a big if, we can win six and draw one , ie drop 5 points, I reckon we may be 7th.

With a bit of luck with other teams results this could be 6th.

Millwall have just gone behind at home as well against Brentford.

Not a chance, just give up on the play offs and enjoy the rest of the season. Anyone still clinging on to the hope of a play off spot is deluding themselves.

+1. And building themselves up for dissapointment! I forgot about the play offs after the Swindon game. Just going to enjoy the end of season with a few more wins & being less than 10 points from the play offs will do me fine. Ofcourse if we do somehow make it i'll be plesantly delighted!

You seemed to have not read the post you were replying to....

Including the 2 legs in the play offs, so the equation may change slightly.

The change in equation being winning over 2 legs.