pardews tribute

battlingbob

big respect to alan pardew for dedicating our win to the brave firefighters who tragicly lost there lives still cant believe st marys did not have a minute silence after all they were from st marys fire service shame on you saints

I think we must wait and see before jumping to conclusions.

I thought the 30 seconds or so of applause from the crowd when it was mentioned by the half time announcer showed the club made a mistake on this one, and perhaps pardew recognisedd that as well.

I will admit that just nonchalantly mentioning it after all the birthdays etc. was an absolute disgrace, as - to be perfectly honest - I had no idea what everyone was clapping for.

I thought the 30 seconds or so of applause from the crowd when it was mentioned by the half time announcer showed the club made a mistake on this one, and perhaps pardew recognisedd that as well.

Agreed. I was queueing for the toilets at the time so unfortunately my contribution went unnoticed.

I will admit that just nonchalantly mentioning it after all the birthdays etc. was an absolute disgrace, as - to be perfectly honest - I had no idea what everyone was clapping for.

Agreed.

People would have clapped for longer than 30-40 seconds, near me it was starting to rise, but then the announcer chimed in again and so it trailed off. Charlton fans were applauding too.

The tribute was read out BEFORE any birthdays were mentioned - there was also a dignified gap before the celebratory list to recognise the applause.

A pompey fan on 606 decided it was a good idea to make a joke about it saying that:

" I wonder if Shirley towers would be a nice place to relocate?"

:mad:

And they call us the Scum of Hampshire...

But after that Carling Cup match, I'd expect nothing less from the c*nts.

Respect to Pardew for the dedication.

Just for the record, nobody on the last thread was questioning the fact that these men were heroes. It was a debate about whether a minutes silence was appropriate, which got a little heated.

R.I.P.

I've been on this forum in the past complaining at football clubs having a minutes silence at the drop of a hat.

But if ever one was needed it was Saturday. A firefighter hasn't last their life in this city since the 2nd world war, and for two lives to be lost in one incident is a tragedy (not a disappointment as AP described it).

So instead of a proper minutes silence (not applause FFS), the club is suggesting that these two brave servants of the city will be remembered along with Great Aunt Agatha who passed away peacefully at the age of 97 six years ago!!!!!!

I've been on this forum in the past complaining at football clubs having a minutes silence at the drop of a hat.

But if ever one was needed it was Saturday. A firefighter hasn't last their life in this city since the 2nd world war, and for two lives to be lost in one incident is a tragedy (not a disappointment as AP described it).

So instead of a proper minutes silence (not applause FFS), the club is suggesting that these two brave servants of the city will be remembered along with Great Aunt Agatha who passed away peacefully at the age of 97 six years ago!!!!!!

Great aunt Agatha was a lovely lady, just because she didn't save lives for a living doesn't make her any less deserving of a minutes silence.

Has there been anything from the Town Council on this? These guys and the Fire Service are connected to the whole City. Has anyone apart from SFC acknowledged their passing in an 'official' way.

I don't live in Southampton so am not up to date.

Great aunt Agatha was a lovely lady, just because she didn't save lives for a living doesn't make her any less deserving of a minutes silence.

She wasn't lovely, she was miserable to the last and smelt of p1ss. But the point is she didn't do sweet FA for anyone else least of all loose her life trying to save others.

Has there been anything from the Town Council on this? These guys and the Fire Service are connected to the whole City. Has anyone apart from SFC acknowledged their passing in an 'official' way.

Not as far as i know, beyond statements of sympathy. No doubt a plaque will be put up in time.

You miss the point very badly. Those men lost their lives trying to help and save others. They didn't have to - they could have stayed at home, eaten crumpets, drank a cup of tea and knitted some booties. But they didn't. they went where they couldn't come back.

I had an earplug in when the announcement was made (although god knows the announcements are unintelligible where I sit) so didn't know what was happening.

Clapping now doesn't seem enough really.

Obviously you don't live in Southampton - If you did you would know that we have the most inept bunch of ****s running the gaff that you could ever imagine - the councils response will be too little too late as per norm for all its actions

Fair play to AP though nice touch - although I do feel the club were trying to catch up with public opinion - the overwhelming sense it that a minutes silence would have been a decent gesture considering the timing of the tragedy and the home game following, this 'All Saints Day' Idea is a bit of a cop out by the club.

Edited by ooohTerryHurlock

You miss the point very badly. Those men lost their lives trying to help and save others. They didn't have to - they could have stayed at home, eaten crumpets, drank a cup of tea and knitted some booties. But they didn't. they went where they couldn't come back.

I had an earplug in when the announcement was made (although god knows the announcements are unintelligible where I sit) so didn't know what was happening.

Clapping now doesn't seem enough really.

They did have to because it was there job.

We have a minutes silence when the mother of an unelected woman who is 'put' at the head of a ridiculous and outdated system called 'the monarchy' dies but when two genuine heroes from 'our' city die trying to save other people the club ignore it. This club isn't just about football, its about the city, when Saints win, Southampton wins, when Southampton loses then Saints lose a bit too.

They did have to because it was there job.

Why in one sentence are you saying here we go again and then in virtually every other trying to be clever to get a rise out of people? For once why don't you grow up and show some class?

The club should and could have had a minute’s silence the fact they didn't is just a poor decision and a real shame. Poor decisions happen and I won't chastise them for it though.

The real point here is well done Alan Pardew for recognising how the local community feel about this incident. I really feel he has a connection with the fans and local community and he offers so much more as a manager than just winning football matches. Long may his reign continue.

RIP the two fire fighters who gave up their lives to save others. They may have 'just been doing their job' but they like many others such as other fire fighters and our forces in Afghanistan do it bravely, with humanity and with little thought for the danger they place themselves in. My sympathies are with their families at this time.

Alan Bannon and James Shears heroes to the city of Southampton. R.I.P. Gentlemen.