Mathmatically safe...

SNSUN

If y = k, then y' = 0

The Derivative of a Constant is 0

If ƒ(x) = k for some constant k, then ƒ'(x) = 0

2. Power Rule

If y = x", then y' = nxn-1

If ƒ is a differentiable function, and if ƒ(x) = x", then ƒ'(x) = nxn-1 for any real number n

3. Exponential Rule:

If y = ex, then y' = ex

4. Logarithm Rule:

If y = 1n|x|, then y' = 1/x

5. Constant Times a Function Rule:

If y = kƒ, then y' = kf '

6. Sum Rule

If y = ƒ g, then y' = ƒ' g'

7. Product Rule

If y = ƒg, then y' = ƒg' ƒ' g

If ƒ and g are differentiable functions such that y = ƒ(x)g(x), then y' = ƒ(x)g' ƒ' (x)g(x)

8. Difference Rule

If y = ƒ - g, then y' = ƒ' - g'

9. Quotient Rule

To remember this formula: Simply remember that b comes before t in the alphabet Thus, the bottom function times the derivative of the top minus the top times the derivative of the bottom, all divided by the bottom squared!

If y = k, then y' = 0

2. Power Rule

If ƒ is a differentiable function, and if ƒ(x) = x", then ƒ'(x) = nxn-1 for any real number n

3. Exponential Rule:

If y = ex, then y' = ex

4. Logarithm Rule:

6. Sum Rule

7. Product Rule

If ƒ and g are differentiable functions such that y = ƒ(x)g(x), then y' = ƒ(x)g' ƒ' (x)g(x)

8. Difference Rule

9. Quotient Rule

To remember this formula: Simply remember that b comes before t in the alphabet Thus, the bottom function times the derivative of the top minus the top times the derivative of the bottom, all divided by the bottom squared!

I feel queezy after reading that

If y = k, then y' = 0

2. Power Rule

3. Exponential Rule:

If y = ex, then y' = ex

4. Logarithm Rule:

6. Sum Rule

7. Product Rule

8. Difference Rule

9. Quotient Rule

That hasn't translated very well, you ought to be able to integrate this into your post effectively, fancy writing out (or copying) the 'rules' for that also?

If y = k, then y' = 0

2. Power Rule

3. Exponential Rule:

If y = ex, then y' = ex

4. Logarithm Rule:

6. Sum Rule

7. Product Rule

8. Difference Rule

9. Quotient Rule

Thanks Trousers - so are we mathematically safe then? ;)

I feel queezy after reading that

There are many things I don't understand in this world, the female mind, the attraction of Renee Zellwegger to movie makers, why I am a borderline alcoholic and have a healthy liver whereas my sister who's clean living has liver problems, why Magnums have got smaller, but that arithmetic actually started making sense.

There are many things I don't understand in this world, the female mind, the attraction of Renee Zellwegger to movie makers, why I am a borderline alcoholic and have a healthy liver whereas my sister who's clean living has liver problems, why Magnums have got smaller, but that arithmetic actually started making sense.

It wasn't arithmetic.

Saints would very likely been mathematically safe BEFORE the Charlton game. Yes, you look at the points the teams in the relegation zone can get, however that doesn't take into account the large number of teams between Saints and them. Those teams would have to play each other in the remaining games and so impossible for them all to overtake Saints.

Saints would very likely been mathematically safe BEFORE the Charlton game. Yes, you look at the points the teams in the relegation zone can get, however that doesn't take into account the large number of teams between Saints and them. Those teams would have to play each other in the remaining games and so impossible for them all to overtake Saints.

Ah true, hence why an Auto spot is out of question despite points-wise still being able to get there...

Ah true, hence why an Auto spot is out of question despite points-wise still being able to get there...

Not sure there are that many games between the teams above us that two are *guaranteed* to get over 78, even with Norwich already there?

Not that I think there's any chance of us coming 2nd...

Likely that doesn't take into account other teams results/fixtures against other teams when calculating highest and lowest possible finishes.

Very true, which is why I'm about to run it all through BBC predictor.

Or maybe I'll just have a look at the top 6 v top 6 fixtures and see if it can (theoretically) be done.

Edited by The9

If y = k, then y' = 0

2. Power Rule

3. Exponential Rule:

If y = ex, then y' = ex

4. Logarithm Rule:

6. Sum Rule

7. Product Rule

8. Difference Rule

9. Quotient Rule

Personally I prefer to count fingers ;)

To follow my previous post re top 6 fixtures against each other : Millwall are on 78, Swindon on 77, they have to play each other, ergo we can't come top 2, because by virtue of that match at least one of them goes over 78 pts.

Highest finish is 3rd.

Very true, which is why I'm about to run it all through BBC predictor.

Or maybe I'll just have a look at the top 6 v top 6 fixtures and see if it can (theoretically) be done.

To follow my previous post re top 6 fixtures against each other : Millwall are on 78, Swindon on 77, they have to play each other, ergo we can't come top 2, because by virtue of that match at least one of them goes over 78 pts.

If y = k, then y' = 0

2. Power Rule

3. Exponential Rule:

If y = ex, then y' = ex

4. Logarithm Rule:

6. Sum Rule

7. Product Rule

8. Difference Rule

9. Quotient Rule

Got anything with Laplace transforms ?

If y = k, then y' = 0

2. Power Rule

3. Exponential Rule:

If y = ex, then y' = ex

4. Logarithm Rule:

6. Sum Rule

7. Product Rule

8. Difference Rule

9. Quotient Rule

Can you explain what the apostrophes mean, I'm thinking one is the derivative and two the double derivative. If that's the case, does that mean we have the deriivative of eff all chance?

Its not arithmetic, it's calculus.

Can you explain what the apostrophes mean, I'm thinking one is the derivative and two the double derivative. If that's the case, does that mean we have the deriivative of eff all chance?

The apostraphes mean the derivative of f, f being the function. I believe it's the legrange method.