Burials, the tibetan way ~ NSFW ~ Rated 18 ~ Hardcore ~ Vera's ~ Sorted!!

Dog

Nice!

At one point I studied some of the different ways societies deal with death and burial. The native americans of the NW coast did something very similar to this, with bodies left on raised wooden platforms for birds.

Madagascar was by far the most interesting country, with one tribe who buried people, then dug their bones back up for a second 'burial' which involved dragging other bones out of a tomb, then dancing with all of the bones, more an more violently until bones and ligaments start to break... then all of the bones are returned to the tomb. The idea is that over time all of the ancestors are mixed together.

Madagascar also sees another group who mummify their dead, and store them wrapped up inside their houses. A great example sticks in my head where an anthropologist found grandma's body wrapped up in the living room being used as a shelf to support book and a TV... Well it's practical I guess.

I thought that is was Parsees (spelling) that did that

They are an ethnic group in India and Iran, who look almost white,

You are right, they have practiced it too, although it's a slightly different and longer process. The dead are left atop a tower for the birds and elements to dispose of, before the bleached bones are disintegrated with lime. It could take as long as a year to complete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Silence