Whats the forums advice on healing blisters

Viking Warrior

I did a 29 mile walk yesterday in preparation for my Help the Heroes 185 mile bash at the end of june. Fantastic views bu the terrain was hard, bog, heather, bedrock deep coch grass and then 7 miles on a road and subsequently I have to huge blisters on the pad of my feet.

My Treatment was to bust the buggers and inject them with iodine and methylated spirit. Fecking sore and I had to bite on a towel

Anybody out there got any less painful and barbaric methods of geting blisters to heal mega quick?

I was wearing 1000 mile socks with a pair of army dogs over the top.

I did a 29 mile walk yesterday in preparation for my Help the Heroes 185 mile bash at the end of june. Fantastic views bu the terrain was hard, bog, heather, bedrock deep coch grass and then 7 miles on a road and subsequently I have to huge blisters on the pad of my feet.

My Treatment was to bust the buggers and inject them with iodine and methylated spirit. Fecking sore and I had to bite on a towel

Anybody out there got any less painful and barbaric methods of geting blisters to heal mega quick?

Nope, I think you had the perfect solution. Popping blisters is the only way, mate. ;)

Dont know about healing blisters, but wear two pairs of thin, finely woven cotton socks to avoid getting them. If you only wear one pair the sock rubs on your skin as you walk. Wear two pairs and the inner one will stay stuck to your foot whilst the outer one will move with the boot and chafe against the innner sock, not your foot.

Prevention is always my preferred method.

As such i recommend X-Socks http://www.x-socks.com

Fairly annoying hype on the website but they really do sh:t on any other hiking socks i've ever tried before. Comfortable, keep the feet drier and i don't think i've ever suffered a blister when wearing them.

Pretty expensive but i've seen them going cheap in TK Maxx.

Back from when I was playing footy 3 times a week in boots with studs on hard ground before the invention of the wonderful things that are FG boots and blades...

Pop any liquid filled blisters, cut away the dead skin right around the perimeter of the blistered area, dab surgical spirit (aka rubbing alcohol) on the wound - this will burn like a ba5tard - and it'll heal much quicker with a pad of hard skin growing by the next morning.

Support the regrowth with blister plasters (or indeed any other plasters you can get which will actually stay on the wet skin) and use vaseline to prevent friction on the damaged area. Keep putting the alcohol on it, as it keeps the skin hard and stops re-blistering.

I also used to use a blob of vaseline to reduce friction on the painful area.

Back from when I was playing footy 3 times a week in boots with studs on hard ground before the invention of the wonderful things that are FG boots and blades...

Pop any liquid filled blisters, cut away the dead skin right around the perimeter of the blistered area, dab surgical spirit (aka rubbing alcohol) on the wound - this will burn like a ba5tard - and it'll heal much quicker with a pad of hard skin growing by the next morning.

Support the regrowth with blister plasters (or indeed any other plasters you can get which will actually stay on the wet skin) and use vaseline to prevent friction on the damaged area. Keep putting the alcohol on it, as it keeps the skin hard and stops re-blistering.

I also used to use a blob of vaseline to reduce friction on the painful area.

TMI :shock:

Thanks T9

Yep thats what I am doing puttting on the meths , its burns like fUCCK

but Im a big boy now. Have not taken the skin of yet just injecting the meths into the void space. I will try the vaseline on my feet as well see how that helps

Thanks to the Saintsforum Doctors surgery forum

I did a 29 mile walk yesterday in preparation for my Help the Heroes 185 mile bash at the end of june.

Where are you walking from/to?

Can we sponsor you? Help 'for' Heroes is an excellent charity. I used to only support two national charities: RNLI and Poppies but have added H4H to my list.

As such i recommend X-Socks www.x-socks.com

Fairly annoying hype on the website but they really do sh:t on any other hiking socks i've ever tried before. Comfortable, keep the feet drier and i don't think i've ever suffered a blister when wearing them.

r

I bought a couple of pairs last month, really comfy and the mesh top lets your feet breathe - not that I partake in any sport. Also good as they come in proper sizes.

I found them to the right of the counter upstairs in the Soton branch.

As such i recommend X-Socks www.x-socks.com

r

I bought a couple of pairs last month, really comfy and the mesh top lets your feet breathe - not that I partake in any sport. Also good as they come in proper sizes.

I found them to the right of the counter upstairs in the Soton branch.

compeed is brilliant, but may not be big enough. Moleskin cut to fit works if you have to get up again and walk the next day. The two pairs of socks also a good idea.

Most important, make sure you reduce the chance of rubbing by tying your boots appropriately. Most walking boots have holes up the foot, then hooks around the ankle and onto the shin. Just at the bend, i.e. before the hooks, loop one lace round the other as if your were going to tie a bow, and then do it again. Make sure that is good and tight before you continue lacing round the hooks. If there is any loose point along the foot, you can do the same to stop your foot slipping down into the boot.

I walked a week in the Andes a few years ago and the guide (curiously, a Saints fan from Andover who had gone native and married a Peruvian girl) showed me this trick. Saved my feet from being in total shreds.

Thanks soccer mum

and atticus Im already committed to doing it. Maj Chris packer was brilliant yesterday in the london marathon. He took something like 13 days of his last years time doing it in 25hours, thats inspirational for some one was was paralysed from the wastedown from a mortar injury in iraq.

Its people like him who have given me inspiration blisters or not.

Mike

never wear blades, not if you value your knees

For the record, my knee ligament damage was caused by some kant scissor-tackling me from behind half way up my leg and him twisting my knee between his legs as I fell forward, not by wearing soles which are more comfortable on firm ground.

Though I do think any of the blades with a circular configuration (eg Umbro XAI) were absolutely asking for trouble regarding ligaments, and I can't see how Puma have managed to sell a single pair of boots with only forward-pointing blades when it guarantees you'll fall over every time you change direction because there's no lateral traction.

I used to have a cheap pair of Umbros which only had forward-pointing shallow blades, and it was like wearing glass, all that happened was every time I wanted to stop or turn the plastic sole-plate touched the grass and I slipped over.

Makes you wonder how much they actually test these things in the real world... not as much as FourFourTwo's "science supplement" this month would suggest, I'd guess.

HI All thanks for all the recommendations for blisters

I did major surgery with Meths all week , used the compeed on saturday and sunday and vasalined the toes and having walked 40 miles over the weekend my feet are fine. no sign of blisters.

Oh and camped out for the first time preparing for the full walk in June

Thanks to those who have sponsored me. if anybody else wants to sponsor me see the stick thread on the help for heroes thread

Thanks

Mike