JonnyLove

So Far.

40% Better battery

Double the screen resolution

HD Video recording (720p 30fps)

5 MP camera with flash. Flash can be used with video as well

Gyroscope for 6 axsis control

IMovie for iphone app ($4.99 from app store

New OS now called IOS4 (No Longer the IPhone OS)

Folder's to put apps into so you can sort your apps easier and less clutter

Bing & Yahoo search available. (Google still default though)

iBooks on iPhone

Front Facing VGA camera for video chat (Picture in Picture Video chat as well) (Wifi (Although possibility of 3g depending on carrier) only and only Iphone 4 to Iphone 4)

In White or Black

Prices for $199 for 16GB and $299 for 32GB (No UK Prices announced yet although it looks the same as the 3GS prices)

Out June 24th Confirmed UK Launch

Done

Edited by JonnyLove

integrated antenna? Huh? For what? Wifi? Cant get my head round it......sure ess will mock me for it..... my contract ends in august so ill probably get one. Question- i am on o2 with my current contract. Can i upgrade to the new iphone? If so will they send me a mini sim to use? On o2 if you upgrade for the first time you get a free bolt on, so could i bolt on free web to my current contract, thus giving me unlimited texts, web and 600mins for 35squid? Sorry, brain fart

HD movie capture using iMovie on top of everything else and iOS 4... This is one kick-all-asses device for sure. Stick that up your HTC & Android bumholes.

You won't be able to 'upgrade' your O2 contract or have bolt-ons to regular contracts. All iPhone contracts are specific to the iPhone.

Antenna is for imporved WiFi & Network Performance. One of the biggest complaints is reception.

Possible early upgrade deals like iphone to iphone 3g may be announced this week. Or possibly not, just depends on what the network decides to do. (AT&T are doing this)

New OS is actually called I O S which is interesting as Cisco own the name to that and uses it for their Internet products. (Awaits court Case for naming rights)

Name of this phone is called iPhone 4 (no g or anything. Hence the os name change)

not an oled screen it is called retina (or what ever) for devices like this OLED does not provide as good a display as this. So says Steve Jobs. Apparently the pics and movies were amazing but I am awaiting to see the full HD keynote before I can comment as had a dodgy video link to watch.

Edited by JonnyLove

HD movie capture using iMovie on top of everything else and iOS 4... This is one kick-all-asses device for sure. Stick that up your HTC & Android bumholes.

You won't be able to 'upgrade' your O2 contract or have bolt-ons to regular contracts. All iPhone contracts are specific to the iPhone.

Except that my Desire costs just £15 a month to run and still does my google integration better than the iphone.

Except that my Desire costs just £15 a month to run and still does my google integration better than the iphone.

So that comes with 600 minutes, 500 Text and unlimited (uncapped) internet usage and free wifi on BT Openzone & The Cloud. (On o2)

No. Didn't think so.

Plus I should expect it to integrate with Google as it uses googles OS. Much like MobileMe works amazing with iPhone which ok may cost £50 a year but I have my phone and 2 mac's sync'd up and really could not live with out it. (by the way the google products do not have the same feature set as mobileme so please don't say they do and for £50 a year it's worth it)

Edited by JonnyLove

To quote on the screen by the way.

"The screen is truly outrageous -- you basically cannot see pixels on it. We're not being hyperbolic when we say it's easily the best looking mobile phone screen we've ever laid eyes on."

Also the new Facetime (The new video calling feature for the iPhone 4) is open so the possibilities of integrating this with other apps (E.G. Skype) is going to be very easy and seems to of raised some large praise from the developers so far, (that and the gyro).

I really don't think Apple went far enough with their innovations - but that is their way. Small incremental upgrades and additions to get people to buy the latest version. Video calling is not new - although if you listen to Steve Jobs, Apple invented it. Yes their implementation is very nice, and easy to use. To then limit it to wifi with the possibility of using it via 3G at a later date is ridiculous. No doubt there will be a hefty charge to use it even though most users will have an unlimited (yeah right!) data plan.

Other than video calling what other innovation is there? Nothing that I can see. Mr Jobs can crow all he like about the screen but I bet most normal users will struggle to find any difference between the iPhone 4 and any of the latest Samsung or HTC screens.

There are no other new features - just a few improvements in battery life and the camera - big deal.

I really like to see companies innovate and bring something new to the table. Unfortunately Apple no longer are the innovators they once were and they are starting to be overtaken by other younger more fluid companies.

If you are into design, aesthetics, and having your device locked down then Apple is a good choice. If you want to be less blinkered and see the innovations of other companies without prejudice, you will find devices available and coming soon to surpass the Apple devices.

"Mr Jobs told Apple's worldwide developers conference the gadget's high-res screen was a major development that would "set the standard for years to come. There has never been a display like this on a phone. There is a magic number around 300 pixels per inch that is the limit of the human retina. We are over that limit."

Have to ask...if the human retina has a limit of around 300 pixels per inch why go over it?

"Mr Jobs told Apple's worldwide developers conference the gadget's high-res screen was a major development that would "set the standard for years to come. There has never been a display like this on a phone. There is a magic number around 300 pixels per inch that is the limit of the human retina. We are over that limit."

Have to ask...if the human retina has a limit of around 300 pixels per inch why go over it?

Because the resolution is set at 960×640, which is of course a standard ratio, and they have a fixed screen size because of the size of the phone. 326dpi is probably the closest they could get the screen resolution to 300 dpi, with the size of screen they have, without it going under 300dpi

apparently the first thing steve jobs had to do at the launch was to ask everyone in the room to switch off their phone wifi or the iphone demo wouldnt work hahahaa, thats going to be practical

The reason being was that there were almost 600 devices scanning for wifi and utilising wifi in 1 room. You try and do the same with any device and try and get a decent connection.

I really don't think Apple went far enough with their innovations - but that is their way. Small incremental upgrades and additions to get people to buy the latest version. Video calling is not new - although if you listen to Steve Jobs, Apple invented it. Yes their implementation is very nice, and easy to use. To then limit it to wifi with the possibility of using it via 3G at a later date is ridiculous. No doubt there will be a hefty charge to use it even though most users will have an unlimited (yeah right!) data plan.

Other than video calling what other innovation is there? Nothing that I can see. Mr Jobs can crow all he like about the screen but I bet most normal users will struggle to find any difference between the iPhone 4 and any of the latest Samsung or HTC screens.

There are no other new features - just a few improvements in battery life and the camera - big deal.

I really like to see companies innovate and bring something new to the table. Unfortunately Apple no longer are the innovators they once were and they are starting to be overtaken by other younger more fluid companies.

If you are into design, aesthetics, and having your device locked down then Apple is a good choice. If you want to be less blinkered and see the innovations of other companies without prejudice, you will find devices available and coming soon to surpass the Apple devices.

Gyroscope being another.

The screen by the way is a massive difference and there is not another phone on the market that will come close to it (for a little while at least).

Also their camera lens is very interesting to see how they do what they do.

Out of interest what more do you want on a phone?

Gyroscope being another.

The screen by the way is a massive difference and there is not another phone on the market that will come close to it (for a little while at least).

8mp camera? Xenon flash?

Gyroscope being another.

The screen is a massive difference to what? The latest Samsung OLEDs?

What do I want from a phone? The ability to do what I want without a restrictive OS and Apples - Apples way is best mantra. I think I will head down the Android route when my upgrade is due, although webOS is looking mighty interesting these days.

8mp camera? Xenon flash?

Just because it has 5pm does not mean it is worse than an 8mp camera. Infact My 10MP SLR is better than most 12. It's not quantity it's quality that counts. (I agree with the flash but it does do HP video with the LED flash being turned on for video in 0 light)

The screen is a massive difference to what? The latest Samsung OLEDs?

What do I want from a phone? The ability to do what I want without a restrictive OS and Apples - Apples way is best mantra. I think I will head down the Android route when my upgrade is due, although webOS is looking mighty interesting these days.

The latest OLED screens cannot get this clear. Thats why they did not use it.

The latest OLED screens cannot get this clear. Thats why they did not use it.

and how do you measure 'Clarity'? If the holy grail is 300dpi then only the new iphone can display that today. Tomorrow will be a different story. The latest HTC and Sony Ericsson phones are at 291dpi so very close to the magic number. The difference with the OLED is the contrast ratios. Steve Jobs statement that the 800:1 contrast ratio is the best by far in a phone is incorrect. Samsungs latest phones have 1600:1 contrast ration. They also don't need a backlight, unlike the iPhone so the blacks look black, rather than dark grey.

and how do you measure 'Clarity'? If the holy grail is 300dpi then only the new iphone can display that today. Tomorrow will be a different story. The latest HTC and Sony Ericsson phones are at 291dpi so very close to the magic number. The difference with the OLED is the contrast ratios. Steve Jobs statement that the 800:1 contrast ratio is the best by far in a phone is incorrect. Samsungs latest phones have 1600:1 contrast ration. They also don't need a backlight, unlike the iPhone so the blacks look black, rather than dark grey.

Watch the Keynote in HD and when it comes to it in the shop get the 2 phones together and you will see what I mean.

Watch the Keynote in HD and when it comes to it in the shop get the 2 phones together and you will see what I mean.

Wasn't that a comparison between a 3GS and an iPhone 4, not the HTC/Sony and the new iPhone?

So that comes with 600 minutes, 500 Text and unlimited (uncapped) internet usage and free wifi on BT Openzone & The Cloud. (On o2)

No. Didn't think so.

Plus I should expect it to integrate with Google as it uses googles OS. Much like MobileMe works amazing with iPhone which ok may cost £50 a year but I have my phone and 2 mac's sync'd up and really could not live with out it. (by the way the google products do not have the same feature set as mobileme so please don't say they do and for £50 a year it's worth it)

No, I can have a choice of 100 or 300 mins, 100 texts, a booster which can be used to make landline calls or mobile calls or texts untld and 3gb internet. What can I do with mobileme that I can't do for free with google and dropbox? And your point is?

Why on earth do I want to pay £869 (based on voda costs) for an iphone over 2 years when my phone will do exactly the same - and some things better - for just £449???

Well this'll learn me for not waiting...

Tocco contract was up in Feb, but could upgrade 3 months early. This happened to coincide with the launch of the iPhone 3GS on Orange, so as soon as it came out I got one.

As I result I'm now tied into my current contract until next August. Balls. Please let there be an early upgrade like the iPhone to iPhone 3G deal!

No, I can have a choice of 100 or 300 mins, 100 texts, a booster which can be used to make landline calls or mobile calls or texts untld and 3gb internet. What can I do with mobileme that I can't do for free with google and dropbox? And your point is?

Why on earth do I want to pay £869 (based on voda costs) for an iphone over 2 years when my phone will do exactly the same - and some things better - for just £449???

Well then don't. I am not forcing you to. All I was doing was advising people of the new features of the new iPhone.

Wasn't that a comparison between a 3GS and an iPhone 4, not the HTC/Sony and the new iPhone?

Sorry I should of explained you would be able to see why it is better by watching it. Also when you get your hands on it in the shop you will be able to physically see the difference. (I have been a bit lucky in that department already)