New Iphone

JonnyLove

This is ironic it's laughable. Apparently, some users are losing signal because the way they hold their iPhone obscures the signal, because of the steel body cum antenna.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8761240.stm

Also, Steve Jobs said to one user... hold it differently. Now Steve Jobs, to paraphrase a mod mate's observation from the other day, doesn't suffer from self esteem issues, but that's arrogance beyond belief. It actually rivals the arrogance of Microsoft, for different reasons, all these years. Design the bleeder better so that people can hold it any which way they like, then release it for sale. I thought these things were to be the slaves of humans, not the other way around. Oh well, that's the tiny bit of interest this gadget has popped for me.

Edited by St Landrew

This is ironic it's laughable. Apparently, some users are losing signal because the way they hold their iPhone obscures the signal, because of the steel body cum antenna.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8761240.stm

Also, Steve Jobs said to one user... hold it differently. Now Steve Jobs, to paraphrase a mod mate's observation from the other day, doesn't suffer from self esteem issues, but that's arrogance beyond belief. It actually rivals the arrogance of Microsoft, for different reasons, all these years. Design the bleeder better so that people can hold it any which way they like, then release it for sale. I thought these things were to be the slaves of humans, not the other way around. Oh well, that's the tiny bit of interest this gadget has popped for me.

All that APPLE hype! lol As they say : Dont! Dont! Dont Believe the HYPE!!!! ;)

P.S Can any iSHEEP tell me why the glorious APPLE, wanted to use another mobile manufacturers display screen (Samsungs Super AMOLED) in the iPHONE 4. Tut! Tut! There's me being told by iSHEEP that APPLE create and everyone else follows!!! pmsl ;)

Oh yeah and not forgetting , they use ARM chips (CPU) as used by 95% of all mobiles! :D

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

What so removing an APP that clearly does not do what it says, and is a security risk is a bit different than demanding you buy a license from APLL£, and also hand over 40% of your profits to APPL£ for your APP. Just so your APP can go on the iPhone(iJoke). pmsl ;)

I'm so glad I switched to Simplicity for iPhone at the end of my contract. £20 per month for 600 Mins, 1200 texts (incl MMS), Unlimited Data. Sell my 16gb 3G for £200 and pay £499 for a new UNLOCKED i4 and continue to use my 30 Day Simplicity plan without being tied into a new expensive 2yr contract; Thereby being able to see if any other network can offer a better plan at any time (unlikely).

Anyone who is thinking of getting an i4 but is moaning/worried about the capped data allowances: you can go sign up for an O2 Simplicity plan before 24th June with Unlimited Data, then just but an i4. The capped limits only apply to new SIMs from 24th June.

This is what I use and it's been confirmed to me, by O2, that they will not be able to put a limit on the data, unless you drop the data bolt on and then pick it up again in the future.

As there's no lifespan on the contract this is perfect.

What so removing an APP that clearly does not do what it says, and is a security risk is a bit different than demanding you buy a license from APLL£, and also hand over 40% of your profits to APPL£ for your APP. Just so your APP can go on the iPhone(iJoke). pmsl ;)

I think you should be more concerned about the security risk tbh (and not just from Googl€ pmsl lolz iJoke or your iJealousy ££ dumba$$).

This is what I use and it's been confirmed to me, by O2, that they will not be able to put a limit on the data, unless you drop the data bolt on and then pick it up again in the future.

As there's no lifespan on the contract this is perfect.

Agreed; Although I shall be testing 3's coverage because their £15 30-day contract is tempting me.

I think you should be more concerned about the security risk tbh (and not just from Googl€ pmsl lolz iJoke or your iJealousy ££ dumba$$).

Agreed; Although I shall be testing 3's coverage because their £15 30-day contract is tempting me.

I will never be jealous of an iSHEEP like you iDUMBA$$. lol:D

And i liked the way your glossed over APPL£'s demands for profits and control! pmsl @ you ;)

I will never be jealous of an iSHEEP like you iDUMBA$$. lol:D

And i liked the way your glossed over APPL£'s demands for profits and control! pmsl @ you ;)

Its call platform provision. If you develop an environment for millions of users, provide software tools to develop it, provide a shop through which to sell it and provide a vetting process for applications, then you deserve to be taking a cut of the profits!

Its call platform provision. If you develop an environment for millions of users, provide software tools to develop it, provide a shop through which to sell it and provide a vetting process for applications, then you deserve to be taking a cut of the profits!
APPL£ have to buy a license from ARM for use of their CPU design, but ARM dont ask for 40% of APPL£'s profits from any of the products they use it in. So sorry Baj its just GREED! and Control just like MICROSOFT!!! ;)

APPL£ have to buy a license from ARM for use of their CPU design, but ARM dont ask for 40% of APPL£'s profits from any of the products they use it in. So sorry Baj its just GREED! and Control just like MICROSOFT!!! ;)

I dont think its fair to compare the deal between Acorn and Apple to that of Apple and bedroom developers ffs!

I dont think its fair to compare the deal between Acorn and Apple to that of Apple and bedroom developers ffs!
How many bedroom developers can afford an APPL£ license! And i wonder how many FREELY developed apps you have on your iphone!!! Lets stifle(real) imagination and developement LUV APPL£!!! ;)

BIG BUSINESS STEPS ON THE LITTLE MAN!

Used the iPhone 4 for the first time today in town and I certainly will not be spending £220 to upgrade from my current 16GB 3GS. The display was sharper and the screen felt nicer to use along with the whole phone being more compact, but I just can't see it justifying that cost.

how would i get the contacts from my current sim (in nokia phone) across to my new iPhone 4 which uses mini-sim?

Cheapest place for insurance on the damn thing?

You can either cut it to size yourself, or your network can port the number from one sim to the other.

Apple are now saying that the signal fault that people have been experiencing isn't a fundamental flaw in the design of the phone itself after all (despite Apple saying last week that you could buy a case for £££ that would fix it :rolleyes: ), it's actually a ****up in the algorithm used to calculate the signal strength.

Er, yeah, ok, so something that's worked in every previous version is now suddenly broken. Forgive me for not being convinced. :lol:

Apple are now saying that the signal fault that people have been experiencing isn't a fundamental flaw in the design of the phone itself after all (despite Apple saying last week that you could buy a case for £££ that would fix it :rolleyes: ), it's actually a ****up in the algorithm used to calculate the signal strength.

Er, yeah, ok, so something that's worked in every previous version is now suddenly broken. Forgive me for not being convinced. :lol:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apple-cant-fix-iphone-reception-will-start-telling-truth-about-signal-strength/36465?tag=nl.e589

I'm embarrassed to admit i succumbed to the iphone 3GS last year....Turned out to be the biggest POS mobile 'phone' i've ever had....Sure, it's a great mobile 'device' but not in the same league as most other cell phones when it comes using it as a 'telephone'.....****ty speaker, even ****tier hands free speaker, ****ty non noise canceling mic, ****ty interface to make calls, ****ty signal (compared to other phones on same network) ****ty battery life, ****ty everything, and then add to that, having to have ****ty itunes on my computer...oh and ****ty camera too

Jumping to Droid X in august.....can't come soon enough...back to a 'open platform'.....can't belive i took leave of my senses like that last year....The iphone will soon be making it's way to the bottom of the Mississippi river......Soon to be joined by a whole bunch of useless iphone 4's no doubt.....

In the words of Steve Jobs...."You're holding it the wrong way"........Nice one Steve...Just make sure you're holding all those class action law suites the right way when your reading them ;)

If you read a later register story (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/02/google_android_install_asset/) you will find that the remote install is ready for an upcoming change to the google marketplace where you will be able to browse the marketplace on a normal computer and select apps you want to install on your phone and these will then be installed automatically. If they get that to work the google market place experience is likely to leapfrog the iphone/itunes ones.

If you read a later register story (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/02/google_android_install_asset/) you will find that the remote install is ready for an upcoming change to the google marketplace where you will be able to browse the marketplace on a normal computer and select apps you want to install on your phone and these will then be installed automatically. If they get that to work the google market place experience is likely to leapfrog the iphone/itunes ones.

Firstly, why would someon WANT to install an App on their phone by adding it remotely from a PC/Mac, when you can download it directly onto your phone FROM the phone? Why would this pointless procedure make the Google Marketplace leapfrog iPhone/iTunes? It makes no sense because there is no reason to do this!

Secondly, my reference to people moaning about the 'control' that Apple have over Apps that are installed onto the iPhone was referring to the viruses/malware programs that could be written and added onto the 'open' platforms, thus requiring the remote kil.

Firstly, why would someon WANT to install an App on their phone by adding it remotely from a PC/Mac, when you can download it directly onto your phone FROM the phone? Why would this pointless procedure make the Google Marketplace leapfrog iPhone/iTunes? It makes no sense because there is no reason to do this!

Secondly, my reference to people moaning about the 'control' that Apple have over Apps that are installed onto the iPhone was referring to the viruses/malware programs that could be written and added onto the 'open' platforms, thus requiring the remote kil.

Firstly because using a PC or whatever enables you to provide a nicer interface. Think of it as being like using itunes to get your app but without the need to download it and then make sure it syncs with the phone. Just select 'yes please' to the app you want and let the system handle the downloading and installing of the app in the background. It's hard to see how it could be made easier. Google do not have an itunes app and given their webcentric view of the world having a web interface to their app store is something that would obviously appeal to them above a installable program such as itunes.

Secondly yes there is a difference is strategy between apple and google on how to deal with malware. Apple attempt to catch this as their approval stage (never going to be 100% successful) where as google rely on having the app specifically request what privileges it requires to be confirmed by the user (i.e. you would be rather suspicious if a game you tried to install requested access to your contacts) and having user feedback very obvious on the store. Horses for courses but at least with the google approach you are less at the whim of a single person.

Firstly because using a PC or whatever enables you to provide a nicer interface. Think of it as being like using itunes to get your app but without the need to download it and then make sure it syncs with the phone..

In three years, I have NEVER downloaded an App via iTunes. I wouldn't. There is no need to when you can do it straight on your phone!!!

Help me understand this argument iPhone users - do any of you ever download any Apps on iTunes on your PC/Mac? Would you, if like the Android upcoming feature, you were able to and then have it downloaded onto your iPhone? It might just be me, but I find this 'feature' to be totally unnecessary when you can just download it on the go onto your phone without the need to have to be at a computer to do it!!

In three years, I have NEVER downloaded an App via iTunes. I wouldn't. There is no need to when you can do it straight on your phone!!!

Help me understand this argument iPhone users - do any of you ever download any Apps on iTunes on your PC/Mac? Would you, if like the Android upcoming feature, you were able to and then have it downloaded onto your iPhone? It might just be me, but I find this 'feature' to be totally unnecessary when you can just download it on the go onto your phone without the need to have to be at a computer to do it!!

You have to remember that unlike the one size fits all of the iphone android phones come in a large range of sizes with a large range of screen sizes. Some of those at the lower end of the market do not have large screens so you can obviously provide the users of these with a far better 'shopping' experience for find apps by allowing the owners to use a full sized/full resolution pc screen to browse, search, select the apps they want to install. By using a web interface you can make searching for the app you want a lot easier beyond the simple word search option currently available.

I have done it both ways. Usually only via the PC if I happen to be browsing iTunes for music and a search request leads me to an app (which may or may not be connected to the artist/album) that I fancy downloading. As I'm at the PC and planning a sync anyway I'll download it then.

Ive only ever downloaded one app on my pc and then transfered to iPhone, and that was because it was TomTom and because it was HUGE. I had to go out almost straight after buying it, and if an app is over (i think) 10mb, it requires you to download via wifi, so I downloaded on PC instead to save having to leave my phone behind.

Got mine yesterday, I'm very impressed with it & haven't noticed any signal problems. I was a bit ****ed when it didn't work in my Tom Tom dock but a mod with a little sticky pad did the job. Did a little montage with iMovie using media from wembly & looks quality.

Had 3G & 3GS and it is built much better & I like the fact that it's not sliding around in your hand like a bar of soap.

All Apple iphone 4 users will recieve a free case and will be given a full refund if still unhappy.

See Job's tried very hard to try and not admit any design flaws with the iphone 4 but then giving away the cases confirms they agree there is as the effect of the case improved the signal on the iphone by reducing the effect of touching the aerials where as on any other phone adding a case will reduce performance as in those cases its just another layer the signal has to go through.

See Job's tried very hard to try and not admit any design flaws with the iphone 4 but then giving away the cases confirms they agree there is as the effect of the case improved the signal on the iphone by reducing the effect of touching the aerials where as on any other phone adding a case will reduce performance as in those cases its just another layer the signal has to go through.

All that, without a comma in sight, and i still got the gist ;)