The paper ban

thorpie the sinner

How any Saints fan can believe that this situation is in anyway positive for the club is beyond me. The club is fast losing its 'family friendly' image, which both excludes other organisations and even, it seems, its own fans. At least the old regime succeeded in this respect, despite its shortcomings

Dont get me wrong, I am still on the whole extremely satisfied with the way Cortese and co has handled things since the takeover. However, it is essential in my view that the management rethink its current policies in order to retain its community feel, because the situation is quickly becoming out of hand.

Who gives a sh1t about anyone, we are the Saints and we can do what the hell we like!!!!

It's exactly this kind of attitude that I really do NOT want associated with Saints, but I guess it is inevitable. Real shame IMO.

Just a fleeting mention in express and the mail too.

Nothing in the Telegraph, but they have nothing on League One (apart from the results). The Times has Sheffield Wednesday v Dagenham as its main League One report (big club v recent non-leaguers, so an obvious choice). Saints v Argyle gets the same amount of coverage as the other games.

How any Saints fan can believe that this situation is in anyway positive for the club is beyond me. The club is fast losing its 'family friendly' image, which both excludes other organisations and even, it seems, its own fans. At least the old regime succeeded in this respect, despite its shortcomings

Dont get me wrong, I am still on the whole extremely satisfied with the way Cortese and co has handled things since the takeover. However, it is essential in my view that the management rethink its current policies in order to retain its community feel, because the situation is quickly becoming out of hand.

Agree 100% with all that.

Those saying "oh sod the press" blah blah are so spectacularly missing the point its laughable.

This looks like it could have been taken from the stand where the Plymouth fans were sitting.

1716357.jpg

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/sport/SUMMERS-TIMES-RIGHT-ARGYLE/article-2503868-

If it was I expect the stewards are going to be told to step up their searches in future.

As far as I'm aware, Plymouth's club photographer was allowed in on the condition that the photos were only used on Plymouth's OS. That clearly worked well, as a couple of those photos appeared in the papers.

As far as I'm aware, Plymouth's club photographer was allowed in on the condition that the photos were only used on Plymouth's OS. That clearly worked well, as a couple of those photos appeared in the papers.

Cortese won't like that. It'll be interesting to see whether Cortese makes another error of judgement and makes an issue out of it and extends the ban to club photographers in future. This story is going to run and run until Cortese backs down.

I'm not sure how workable that will be, unless they signed a specific agreement saying so.

Given that Saints are still (as far as I'm aware) covered by Football DataCo's licencing agreements on behalf of all clubs, it could be that the Plymouth paper have exploited that, meaning that as long as the paper have a licence (which they do) and they use photos taken by a licenced photographer (Plymouth's official snapper), then they might be ok.

I'm not sure how workable that will be, unless they signed a specific agreement saying so.

Given that Saints are still (as far as I'm aware) covered by Football DataCo's licencing agreements on behalf of all clubs, it could be that the Plymouth paper have exploited that, meaning that as long as the paper have a licence (which they do) and they use photos taken by a licenced photographer (Plymouth's official snapper), then they might be ok.

As far as i'm aware SFC have granted this website a dataco licence from the time of Mike Wilde. It'd be foolish of NC to take this licence back at some point but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

The ban is utterly ludicrous - and possibly a breach of our responsibilities within the Football League.

I think The Echo is a separate matter - there's been some falling out there and there might eb a good business acse for tryign to make the OS the first point of call for SFC news, not the local paper.

But we want substantial publicity in national newspapers.

Football clubs a rare entity whereby media publicity dwarves any paid-for publicity/direct marketing in terms of it's value or AVE as it's known (advertising value equivalent) - political parties and pop stars are other examples.

This is a truly idiotic decision by the club. And probably an unsustainable one, in my view.

The most idiotic part of NC's decision is that he has been shown up to all Saints fans. Yes there have been discussions about Cortese's past mistakes on here, but by and large they have escaped the radar of the bulk of the fanbase. By taking on fleet street he has unleashed a demon and although we are not a club anyone outside of Southampton is interested in expect a steady and sustained drip of negative publicity on a regular basis. Journo's thrive on things like this and they'll enjoy the challenge of rattling Cortese into making another gaffe. It's like a fox hunt, it's not about the killing - it's about the chase.

Edited by dune

Is that for real? if so lol and where did you see it?

Yep today's Sun in the fixtures piece on P19. Oh yeah, the paper some completely clueless morons on here say they aren't bothered about but did the extra print run to all SO Postcodes with the Lambert frontcover after the JPT final and is read by more people each day than any other English speaking paper in the World.

Rest assured the Sun will continue with this and all other Nationals will follow suit. Those that think this isn't a problem I suggest stick to licking windows rather than commenting oninternet message boards.

Looks like the paper ban may be off?!?! Agency chosen to take all photos in ST Marys has pulled out... Sorry if posted elsewhere...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/09/southampton-fc-photo-ban?

You'd have thought they'd use a more up to date photo of SMS...they've had years since that photo was taken to take a new photo and they haven't. Now all of a sudden they've been told they can't and they're having a hissy fit about it. It's like finding a toy a child hasn't played with for years and giving it to someone else...only for the child to suddenly want to play with it.

On a slightly more serious note, I work for a National Paper (not anything to do with Sport) and have a good mate on the Sportsdesk at The Sun who is actually from So'ton and is a Saints fan. The Sun (and others) will not let this go. Saints always had a lot of goodwill from papers such as The Sun as we are/ were seen as a family club that upset the bigger sides regulary on the pitch, had a player of genius that was universally respected in Le Tissier (I'm sure others on here that live/ work in the smoke will confirm fans of all other clubs - esp London ones - when hearing your a Saints fan always reply "Saints, aghhh Le Tiss, he was a genius - should have played more for England, bet he was worth the admission alone eh?")

This goodwill built up over decades can be lost in a few months if we continue this "us against the world" attitude to the fans (season ticket fiasco) and media.

Yep today's Sun in the fixtures piece on P19. Oh yeah, the paper some completely clueless morons on here say they aren't bothered about but did the extra print run to all SO Postcodes with the Lambert frontcover after the JPT final and is read by more people each day than any other English speaking paper in the World.

Rest assured the Sun will continue with this and all other Nationals will follow suit. Those that think this isn't a problem I suggest stick to licking windows rather than commenting oninternet message boards.

I wonder if they'll go to Nick Illingsworth for his views on it as he is someone the journos approach and I wonder if he'll mention about his season ticket. I can just envisage how a story could be made out of that. Of course it'd be a non story under usual circumstances, but the press are now on a mission so they'll be looking for any mud to sling at SFC that paints the picture of Cortese that they want to paint.

Personally, I think it's only a matter of time before legal action is threatened against this site for something put on here.

especially when about 10 threads are started about by and large the same thing, all with the purpose of slating one individual

Well they'll be hit by a libel case no doubt then.

Tounge was firmly in cheek when I made that comment, but I wouldn't put it past The Sun.

It's the voice of the idiots and the fact that it's so popular and powerful tells you all you need to know about this country.

Have they asked Kelli, 23, from Harlow, what she thinks of NC's blanket outside photography ban?

Not good (though slightly funny).

In theory it is pretty cool that SFC have managed to p*ss off The Sun. In reality it is a dodgy path to be taking.

Agents, journalists & late night drinks.

Plus as someone already said - a lot of journalists kinda stick together. If this 'no photos thing' is a hassle for them then they will definitely want to make sure that other clubs don't get the same idea.

Hopefully Markus Liebherr (or at least his advisors) can work on quickly nipping this one in the bud.

If the media pay for the moving image, why not for stills?

They do, already, through Football DataCo and the licencing arrangements that are already in place for all 92 league clubs. This is about a lot more than just paying for images.

They do, already, through Football DataCo and the licencing arrangements that are already in place for all 92 league clubs. This is about a lot more than just paying for images.

I agree it's about a lot more than paying. How does SFC get paid via Football DataCo and licencing arrangments then?

I see they have "South Coast Team" in the fixtures/results grid too. However next Saturday's fixtures show MK Dons v Southampton.

Am not going to comment on Mr Cortese as I have been told off for pointing out he is a total muppet at every opportunity.

I agree it's about a lot more than paying. How does SFC get paid via Football DataCo and licencing arrangments then?

I honestly don't know, but would like to find out. I assume it's a collective thing whereby licence fees are distributed evenly between all clubs within each division, or something similar, but I am only guessing. Payment for actual photos obviously goes to whoever has taken the image, but again those media outlets or photo agencies, will have paid for a licence.

I think it's unlikely we'll find out how it works, unless someone who works in amongst it somewhere can tell us.

A lot of fuss about nothing... the echo and other papers charge members of the public for a copy of the photographs that they take, as well as the price for the toilet roll of a newspaper.. so why can't saints also charge! Its business at the end of the day!!

The Sun is just behaving like a spoilt kid with the "South Coast Team" bits.. ffs... support your club and buy a different paper!!

i agree and his handling of the payment plan withdrawal and the handleing of nick illingsworth season ticket and papers not even reporting the saints game shows he needs to eat a bit of humble pie.

Tounge was firmly in cheek when I made that comment, but I wouldn't put it past The Sun.

It's the voice of the idiots and the fact that it's so popular and powerful tells you all you need to know about this country.

Have they asked Kelli, 23, from Harlow, what she thinks of NC's blanket outside photography ban?

sorry the voice of the idiots is the daily mail